winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old October 18th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gameplay tips & tricks

Quote:
aiken said:
Defender's design include small shields (or armor) only. Offenders are armed with you favorite weapon (ground cannons or small shield depleters) and nothing else. Leader is equiped with shields plus small combat sensor and small ecm components.
DOes that strategy carry over to other things? Fighters? Drones? Satellites? Ships?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Aiken: for simultaneous games, how do you make sure the troops are loaded right after the initial load? If you attack,load,attack,load, etc, don't they get all jumbled up?

Slick.
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, it's a general rule for units: first loaded - first deployed, second loaded - second deployed. Note, that you can't store ships in cargo.

Quote:
Slick said:
Aiken: for simultaneous games, how do you make sure the troops are loaded right after the initial load? If you attack,load,attack,load, etc, don't they get all jumbled up?

Slick.
I tested deployment of multiple unit types with load/drop cargo orders: loaded 4 types of troops to transport and then ordered it to move to planet, drop troops, load troops, move to next planet ... There were 4 destination points (my planets). Next turn, placement order of troops in cargo was the same as initial one (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th). I'm not sure about real planet assault, though. I'll make a test game to check it, and post my observation here.
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Roanon said:
Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Troops are rarely lost in ground combat in stock SE4, except in the odd situation where some player filled their planet with troops (which I have never seen done myself...).
Try fighting real opponents . Yes, some of my enemies are so eager to deny me their planets that they build their police troops with weapons. Also, if you have the standard -50 ground combat racial trait, planets with higher population, i.e. nearly every planet when fighting against an organic enemy, will cause heavy losses from the militia. My transports only have about 500kt space, being heavily armored so they are able to advance alone against shipless planets. 2 x 50 troops are worn down to 1 x 50 (or less) troops after very few turns when fighting against an enemy who has the impertinence to make your victory as slow and fruitless as possible - hi Teal, hi Alneyan
Huh. That is your problem, you have poor troop ship designs. My designs are capable of dropping as many troops as possible, and even with 50 physical strength and against planets where police troops are armed, I never lose any... Even the militia of filled huge worlds have never been an issue (as by the time huge worlds are filled, I have large transports and large troops)...

Quote:
Very old and outdated game Version..... Tried this with the latest game Version?
I have not had the opportunity recently to conquer planets with moons, but I have indeed successfully conquered multiple planets in one turn without issue in 1.91.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Slick said:

Slick.
In my experience, they remain in the originally loaded order when you use Attack and Load Remotely orders. Even when you just move the fleet into the sector with the planet(s).
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
aiken said:
Gandalf, it's a general rule for units: first loaded - first deployed, second loaded - second deployed. Note, that you can't store ships in cargo.
I could test this myself later I guess... but does this mean that such a tactic would work for fighters and drones? Ive been using # of engines to try and add some control to attack sequence.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road

It should work. I used such tactic with 2 types of fighters: first I loaded carrier with rocket pod fighters (1st wave), and then duc fighters (2nd wave). They were launched in the same order as loaded.

edit: but I don't actually remember, if they were recovered in proper order or not. need to test it again.
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Just don't bother trying to get your fighter stacks to each have 3 of one fighter type, 1 of a second and 1 of a third... If you can even manage to do it once, losing a single fighter will screw up the ordering and future launches will have the stacks out of wack...
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:01 PM

Brigadier General

Quote:
aiken said:
It should work. I used such tactic with 2 types of fighters: first I loaded carrier with rocket pod fighters (1st wave), and then duc fighters (2nd wave). They were launched in the same order as loaded.

edit: but I don't actually remember, if they were recovered in proper order or not. need to test it again.

What about using more than 1 Troop Transport. I can't see how the order would stay the same after some troops get lost with the added variable of not knowing which transport will pick up the troops.

Slick.
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Brigadier General

Hey! A friend of mine mentioned that he may have figured out a way to overcome the "cloaked minesweepers don't sweep mines" problem. I'll be testing this before I post the results.

Slick.