winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 28th, 2012, 02:12 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout MSoft OS8

Has anyone bought OS8 yet? I know it's backwards compatible with "older" systems and there wasn't anything in the BETA version unless I missed something that allowed for game testing.
Do we know anything about how the game will interact with OS8?

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 28th, 2012 at 02:22 AM..
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MSoft OS8

You mean Windows 8 right? It´s just funny when you say "OS8". First thing that comes to my mind is MAC OS or even OS/2.

There was this post a while back about it (Windows 8 that is):
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48747
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosollia For This Useful Post:
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Fallout Re: MSoft OS8

No disrespect intended here, but life is complicated enough these days to where in my simple and humble world, it is in the end all of it just an OS no matter what you call it with a touch of everyday I work in the world of MS and Apple. So I thank you for the link, but like I said I got nothing useful game wise from the BETA except the faintest bit of hope that 8 will operate more closely like XP in file association or if you will ADMIN then anything MS has managed to put out after which to my mind has generally been crap with some improvements in functionality for the "glitz", kind of like a certain phone that's out there which again after the hype doesn't live up to it for a parallel. There was a reason MS extended it's support for XP by a year or more (The end of 2011 or this year was the original plan for support termination.). That's my opion from a humble operator.
Anyway just seeing if anyone has been braver than me to this point and is using it and again, is running into game issues.
By 2014 I'll have to decide between MS or Apple as the "road" of DDR 4 plus is in my future as well.

Regards,
Pat
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

As a desktop user - it seems you would have to be a raving lunatic to install Windows 8. (From reading feedback on various computing websites)

The Kindergarten blocks interface cannot be turned off, and if you get into the desktop then it keeps popping up randomly.

If you have a touch screen tablet then it may work OK for you - provided you stick to the Metro blocks UI, but that only allows a maximum of 2 applications open at a time, and one must have 2/3 of the horizontal screen space, the other is fixed to the other 1/3 and it must be a horizontal split (just saw that on the BBC "click" tech show today, and its an absolute killer as far as I am concerned!)

Also - again from watching the BBC demo - if you add a link to your browser in the Metro blocks Internet Explorer, then the Desktop version does not get updated with the new bookmark (and vice versa) - the 2 Internet explorers are completely separate applications. So if you want some news site in both then you'll have to switch modes, launch the app with the same name (that isn't quite the same app - the control panel is also different in the 2 modes too for some reason) in both and enter the same information twice.

The show also demonstrated some of the weird mouse gestures that you will have to get used to, since the blocky Metro app thing is completely focussed on touch screens. Again, does not look like much fun.

Businesses will treat this like Vista I think - some are only just installing 7, so will hold onto that till Windows 9 arrives and see if its a proper desktop O/S.

My advice - avoid, sit back and watch the howls as the general public buy new PCs with this on it. Maybe Microsoft will then add back the feature that was in the beta release but is now completely disabled for the released version! where you could turn off the Metro block thingy and have only a proper Windows 7 type desktop if you wanted.

Until then you will have to deal with some sort of a "Jeckyll and Hyde" split-personality operating system that thinks it's a mobile phone.

I'd be interested in any feedback from any of you who have been inflicted with the thing, to see what happens with the games. But I have nil plans to go near Windows 8 - and may well go Linux with a virtual emulator of XP for games running and development.

Windows 8 is an unsupported O/S for the games at the moment - if you want to try it, you are on your own as a trail blazing pioneer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Until then you will have to deal with some sort of a "Jeckyll and Hyde" split-personality operating system that thinks it's a mobile phone.

I did download the Win8 Beta planning on a duel boot, but didn't even install it after reading a few things like this.

I guess I'll stick with WinXP. MS plan to continue to support XP into 2014.

One of my sons uses Win7 and doesn't have any real complaints.

Cross
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Fallout Re: MSoft OS8

Not something I normally like to do but, it's starting to sound like it's time to be a "follower" concerning MS 8. The "tale of the tape" will be if XP support gets extended again, which if I recall with Win 7 I was informed of by MS 6-8 months after it was released. Not unreasonable considering I believe there are more users of it then VISTA AND #2 behind Win 7.
Thanks Andy and everyone else for your inputs. I believe we're all waiting for our #1 Win 8 user to chime in though, it should be interesting. Long live XP...LINUX would really just me up causing me to giving me a major headache.

Regards,
Pat
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I use Win XP on my laptop, and Win 7 on my PC.

Of course there are no real problems with XP as it's been around forever and after the 9999th patch Microshaft got it working pretty well.

As to Win 7; it had (and has) a few minor issues but nothing like the problems I had with Vista. I've been pretty happy with it.

On to the subject of this thread - Windows 8:

From everything I've seen it looks like they dusted off all the stuff that didn't work in Vista, then added a few more things (that probably don't work). So I plan to avoid it like the plague.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein