.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEV Scenarios and Mods

Old August 11th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Corporal

Lord_Shleepy is on a distinguished road
Default Random Events Mod: First Steps

Okay...I've been wanting to make some changes to the random events system in SEV for some time now and finally got up the presence of mind to do something.

My goal is to make a modification that will allow:

1) More frequent random events.
2) Increased numbers of random events for larger empires.
3) More varied random events (candy).

I've made a couple of steps towards #1 and #2 already with the potential for many tweaks to come. Haven't got to #3 yet. For #1 I have simply increased the chance of a random event occurring (for all size empires - empires with 50+ planets receiving a greater increase). For #2 I have attempted to mod in the possibility of more than one random event per turn (again, directed at larger empires).

Please help yourself to the attached files. I have been running mine in my balance mod folder - since I plan to use it as the basis for this, and other mods that I have planned, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as a modification of stock as well. Once I have had more time to test/enhance I hope to post a more elegant, user friendly version. For now, though I'm just looking for a little feedback. Otherwise I'll be testing this until I drop dead from old age...and still probably never get it right.

Oh...and feel free to nitpick...my programming skills are quite rusty and I'm sure I could improve my scripting code here or there.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip 542757-Random Event Mod Version 0.zip (29.4 KB, 753 views)
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Random Events Mod: First Steps

Ok...I've made a few improvements.

My new files are now formatted to run as a stand-alone mod (if necessary) - though I currently run mine along with balance mod v1.09. I have also added the features listed below.

Any questions or comments just let me know...this is still very rough and not even close to finished. I plan to add a lot more events next...it may take a while but they're coming. If you have requests please let me know.

Version History - Shleepy's Random Events Mod for SEV
================================================== ==============

Version 0.01 (August 15, 07)
----------------------------
Initial Release
Features
1) Increased frequency of random events (slightly for small empires, more drastically for large empires).

2) Increased number of possible events per turn for large empires (may experience more than one occurrence).

3) Re-ordered event severity: Ship_rebel is now a "medium" severity (it is treason after-all). Planet rebellion is still "high" severity but will occur more frequently than other "high" severity events (it is probably more likely to have a planet's citizens rebel than for the planet itself to
explode). Rebalanced event frequency overall so that lower level events will be more likely (otherwised the increased frequency of events could be crippling) .

4) No change to stellar manipulation events yet (they do not appear to be working at present).

5) Added planet happiness check function. Searches players colonies for planets that are unhappy, angry, or rioting. Adds additional chance of "angry population events" such as riots or rebellions on these planets. Currently, rioting/angry/unhappy planets have an added chance for population/cargo damage and rebellion. Rioting planets have a 20% chance for one of these events, angry has 10%, unhappy has 5%. I will eventually extend this towards good events for jubilant planets as well but I'll need to create some positive events first. WARNING: At this point, these events are NOT affected by the Low/Medium/High/Catastrophic setting and may occur at any level. My reasoning for this is that they are not really random events but the outcome of having unhappy populations...therefore anything goes. ALSO, the frequency of these events is the same - so it is equally likely that the planet will rebel as have population damage, etc.

6) Added new event: Failed Coup. (Severity: Medium) A failed military coup will cause a small amount of damage to population, a moderate amount of damage to cargo, and a moderate negative happiness hit. (Cargo and happiness damage from stock cargo/happiness events, population loss is a reduced version of stock event). Planets that are already unhappy/angry/rioting will be more likely to experience this event.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 543567-Random Event Mod v0.1.zip (40.6 KB, 691 views)
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Corporal

I'm probably breaking some unwritten rule about the number of times that you can reply to your own message without being considered "a little odd".

However...

Two things keep happening:
1) When I try to make a "simple" change it turns into a
complicated change and takes 3 hours to finish.
2) I keep finding mistakes to correct/improvements to make.

So this is another minor update. I hope that the next one will be able to wait a few days while I work on some meaningful improvements. Here are the latest changes

Quote:

Version 0.02 (Aug 16, 2007)
---------------------------
1) Added: Added a variable to denote good events as opposed to bad events. Events flagged as "good" events will NOT be stopped by fate shrines/good luck.
2) Added: Ship_Gain_Supply Event: Ship's crew adapts local materials for use as supplies. NOTE: Unlike the "lose supplies" event this event cannot add ordnance because there is no way to check for overflow (and who knows what would happen if there was an overflow)
3) Fixed: Failed Coup event was not correctly logged into Execute_Event function.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 543638-Random Event Mod v0.2.zip (42.4 KB, 721 views)
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Private

DrewBlack is on a distinguished road

Hi

Does this work with the latest BM1.09?

Thanks
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to plug an event script into Balance Mod.

Quote:
Lord_Shleepy said:
I'm probably breaking some unwritten rule about the number of times that you can reply to your own message without being considered "a little odd".
If you are posting a new version with each one, nothing odd about it.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.