.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 15th, 2013, 03:40 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road
Default AoE? Bullock? Wraithlord? Somebody!!!!

Okay...I'm ready for a new game......

Somebody be nice a host us a good one!
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AoE? Bullock? Wraithlord? Somebody!!!!

You could also host a game yourself, you know. I'm told there's a nice thread somewhere in this forum that details exactly how to host a game. Perhaps it would be useful to have that thread somehow placed in some position of importance above all the other threads in the subforum!

Anyways, hosting a game isn't that hard. As a bonus, you get to choose what sort of game it will be! Maybe the power of choosing what the game will be along with the responsibility of being admin seems like too much, but it's not as long as you have a minute or two every so often to make sure to grant extensions to people asking for them (unless one of the rules is that you don't give extensions!). My schedule is full enough as it is even playing as few games as I am, but that's more about me than the heavy burden of being an admin.

Besides, if you host a game yourself, what's the worst that could happen? People don't join? Considering you felt antsy enough to post a thread asking for a new game, I imagine there are a dozen more out in the sidelines wanting to get a new game but also too afraid to make one themselves.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Corporal

starcryst is on a distinguished road

YC - I'm in if you want to start a new game.
The Following User Says Thank You to starcryst For This Useful Post:
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

OR there is another thread stickied at the top of the forum for how to start a game
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42093
There are multiple people willing to host a game for you. But its the running (admin) of the game that is a problem. Do you want to design, start, administrate a game?

There are also some games always open for 1-4 players at
www.Dom3Minions.com
You can just art a thread saying which one and asking people to join you.

OR there are a couple of IRC channels (chat rooms) that are usually busy enough that you can jump in and ask people to join you in one of the games. In that case be prepared to stay and play. They tend to blitz the game doing continaul turns trying to finish the whole game in a few hours of play.

And finally, it should be noted that this is no longer the official forum for Dominions 3. The official forum is now at
http://www.desura.com/games/dominion...wakening/forum
so new games are most likely going to be formed there.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:06 PM

First Lieutenant

No no no, I'm way too anal and mean to be hosting games on the internet. Best to just be the squeeky wheel!

Host! Host! Host!
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Corporal

starcryst is on a distinguished road

You can't fool me, you're not mean.

I can't speak to the anal part though...
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM

First Lieutenant

If I hosted a game.

1) Only known and approved account names would be allowed to play. This would unfortunately prevent new players from joining. The reason for this requirement would be to prevent known cheaters and quitters from joining under the radar.

2) All game turn files from each player would be submitted to a third party and stored in case a need for review arose. There was this guy called norfleet back in Dom2. He was wiping everybody out. When his turn got audited, his gem stockpiles were each in the thousands.

3) Diplomacy is a REAL part of Dominions. No Diplomacy means you are going to get 'dog-piled' as the saying goes. All player personalities would be allowed and encouraged to play. It's hard and not fun when other players lie to you, but that's the risk of trusting another false god. ONLY RELY UPON YOUR OWN DOMINION to win. If you can convince a false god to do your bidding, awesome! Personally, I don't like when one player attacks another player just to allow a third player to win without a fight. But...I'm not sure how to prevent that sort of play. The game requires so many hours of management, the late game can be hard to keep players committed to.

The game errata could be modified by the players. Specific house rules, exploit bans, ect. Our current 'usual' hosts all do a great job of creating, managing, and monitoring games.
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Bullock is on a distinguished road

Yeah i'm on it Yellowcactus, new thread soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullock For This Useful Post:
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I see no problem with those. Whoever runs a game has the options to make any demands they want.

As far as #2 my games often include the safety option. The pre.sh of the game runs as the first action of any hosting (the post.sh runs immediately after). My pre.sh often include zipping the entire directory and emailing it off the system to another account. That provides the safety you mentioned. And the ability to do rollbacks if something buggy shows up. Also it provides the ability to review all previous turns. And a safety of the game in case the host goes does so that another host can just continue the game from the last save.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

YC, i'd love to take another crack at ya. if you get this ***** off the ground, i'd like to get in