.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:34 AM

Private

raven013 is on a distinguished road
Default To Write Dominion "Derived Fiction" and not Fanfiction

Hello and Greetings!

I just like to ask if this forum also caters dominion fanfics and not only in-game questions and guides. You see I find the Dom World very fascinating and for years I've been imagining what such world would look like. I also would like to make a Dominion 3: The Awakening entry on www.fanfiction.net but before that I'd like to share it here in this forum if it is alright. ^_^

Thanks and good day.

Edit:

Changed the title to clear the misunderstanding about fanfiction.

Last edited by raven013; October 20th, 2009 at 11:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to raven013 For This Useful Post:
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:19 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: To Write Dominion Fanfiction

Wow! fanfic'ers for Dominions!

the fanfic subculture never sprouted in the fertile soil of the Dominions universe, probably something to do with the type of people who usually play the game (just a little too much of the cranky, crusty, curmudgeonly, archetype).

I'd say that there's not too much to trip over as far usual tripping-over-objects for most fanfic. The only personalities unique to Dominions are maybe Bogarus and co. I'm sure you'd have the blessings of the creators and community, regardless.
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I think dom3 fanfic would be terrible. But go right ahead!
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Private

Can you please elaborate more as to why a dom fanfic is terrible?
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:56 AM

BANNED USER

All fanfiction is basically terrible. But to be more specific, dominions 3 doesn't lend itself to fanfiction because it isn't plot/character/setting based. Unlike something random like, I don't know, Superman or something, you don't even have the cheap thrill of 'what would superman be like in this situation?'

You could certainly write dom3 fanfiction though, I'm in no way claiming that can't be done. I'd rather it wasn't done, but it's not like I'm going to read it, so you have no reason to listen to me.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Just for starters, I'd like to state that I don't really know anything about fanfiction, just their reputation and the basic premise behind them. So I just might be a bit off the point here. But anyways..

A lot depends on what "fanfiction" actually means in this instance. It's pretty certain that one just can't write some basic Harry Potter fiction. Because, just like it has been said, dom3-verse lacks strong characters. Sure, there are Bogus and the named national heroes, but they just aren't that developed, having only their description (which is just 999 charaters long, at max).

What I think Raven means here are more like stories in dom3-verse. And we certainly have those, currently. Think of the "Chronicles" game and the stories written by the players in that game (could someone supply a link to those, my forum search failed horribly). There are many AAR's that are written in-character. Heck, there are some stories being written right now for the "Sign of the Hammer" game thread. In some sense, these could be classified as "fanfiction", just written by the premise of the events in the game in question.
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

As long as no-one writes anything like Seraph/Thing That Should Not Be, I'm quite interested.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Go for it Raven.

I have read some fan fiction that was very good.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Private

I was thinking of making a fiction story that explores the history of dominions through the eyes of the people of dominion. Basically I was thinking of making a sort of compilation of people's accounts, journals, news, oral traditions etc, etc which would explain the bits of pieces of the world of dominion. For example:

> An account of an Arcocephalian skeptic on the Sauramacian's brutal practice of human mutilation.

> Journals of a female Ermorian Centurion that chronicles the events of Ermor's expedition to C'tis.

> A Marignonian Inquisitor giving a fiery sermon on the necessity of the burning of heretics.

> Last words of an Ulmian Defender of the Keep before the ultimate fall of the fortress of Ulm.

> Reports of a Vanherse scout monitoring the movement of a Jotun Army.

> Last words of a blood slave before being sacrificed by Mictlan Priests.

> A poster on a Pythian suburb that dictates Pythia's official declaration of secession from the Ermorian Empire.

There're so many things in dominion that one could tell. ^_^

@ Burnsaber:

Yes you are correct to say that I meant to make a story on dom3-verse and not necessarily making a story about a National Hero and his/her conquest.

@ Sombre:

I have to disagree with your claim that all fanfiction is terrible, thats just being biased. If you look at fanfiction.net, you'd be surprised to see a lot of good stuff and literature.

Quote:
dominions 3 doesn't lend itself to fanfiction because it isn't plot/character/setting based. Unlike something random like, I don't know, Superman or something, you don't even have the cheap thrill of 'what would superman be like in this situation?'
It is because dominions 3 doesn't lend itself to plot/character/setting base that makes it really, really interesting to write on. The game doesn't revolve around one character or one plotline which makes it very flexible.

There are so many bits and pieces of information scattered all throughout the dom3-verse which makes it appealing to piece them together and see the big picture or perhaps just a shred of the picture.

Like consider the description of Ermor's Augur Mages in the Early Ages. A sentence on that description states that these mages became very secretive with their work and then asked the sauromancers of C'tis to teach them the dark arts or something.

How the hell did the Augurs got the knowledge of necromancy? Did the C'tissian teach them or did they took such knowledge by force? The Augur's were said to have foreseen the end of the empire and yet why weren't they able to prevent it? Also why did the Bishops of Eldregate did anything to stop the fall? Why is it that in their description in their late age reincarnation said that because they didn't do anything during the great cataclysm, they were cursed more strongly than the rest?

So many stories just begging to be connected.

@Gregstorm:

Can you please elaborate more what you meant by this
Quote:
As long as no-one writes anything like Seraph/Thing That Should Not Be, I'm quite interested.
much appreciated...

@Bal:

Hehe thanks friend, however I'm not really a good writer myself, mostly I'm just a reader of other people's work. I'm still gathering people's opinions and researching for writing materials.

Last edited by raven013; October 13th, 2009 at 08:49 AM..
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven013 View Post
I have to disagree with your claim that all fanfiction is terrible, thats just being biased. If you look at fanfiction.net, you'd be surprised to see a lot of good stuff and literature.
Given that you write fanfiction, that doesn't surprise me.

I don't see how you can call me biased. Every piece of fan fiction I have come across is terrible. Fan fiction is widely regarded as being terrible by people whose opinions I respect. If making any experiential subjective judgement equates to biased, well gee, we're all biased.

Thanks for the plug of fanfiction.net but 'you'd be surprised by the quality of some stuff' from a stranger doesn't really sell it to me.