.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Melita:The Cursed Cure (not yet playable)

I'd ask over here : http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx

Some of the most helpful and knowledgeable modders are banned from here for obscure reasons and have set up camp over there instead, I beleive you'll get good answers fast there.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Sergeant

Nikelaos is on a distinguished road

I've actually solved the last two myself, or atleast know what the problem is.

It seems my sprites coming out small is simply because...they are small. In the creation process I was judging their height up against the sprites of spies and deer tribe archers from organised sprites folder. And spies and deer tribe appear to be shorter than your average man, that's something I never noticed before. So yeah apparently I need to be redoing those sprites...gah the drag.

Still no solution to the Banner yet, I'll look over my modding again before asking on the other forum.

Edit: Banner fixed, I forgot to put .tga at the end of the file name inside my mod .dm file. I feel like an idiot. On the bright side I fixed everything by myself with no help wooh?

Last edited by Nikelaos; August 19th, 2010 at 06:40 PM..
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Sergeant

So yeah guys, just resizing the images and Melita will be ready to play. It's getting late, and I'm paintballing all day tommorrow so it may take a few days.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

Just a couple of comments on the ideas so far. I'll leave the modding tricks and sprite suggestions to those that actually know something about that and focus on gameplay elements from what I can glean so far:

* High Nature and Death magic, with a bit of astral and 50% PR on your troops sounds like it could play very similar to (EA and MA) C'tis. Would be even more so if you add water (even a water random) Look for ways to differntiate. Possibly blood could provide a different angle.
* Adding water, even as a random only opens the way to the nice 'poison the whole battlefield' strategies C'tis is fond of. You'll have to decide whether the usefulness of the tactic outweighs the C'tis-copycatting or not.
* If you stick to only N/D/S/E that means quite limited magic, which has to be somehow balanced. Being powerful in those paths is one way of course. (And apparently you plan on your mages being 'pretty awesome', at least the main ones.) But would they be recuit everywhere then, or capital only? If capital only then probably you need either more diversity, or your non-capital mages have to be pretty decent too. (And E/S which I have the impression you're going for on the non-sacred mages has some good synergy. If they have a good number of paths they could be quite powerful) This would also make them less C'tissian, but I don't know whether you want a decent chunk of your battlemagic to be away from your two main paths.
* Another way to balance limited magic is by a strong troop lineup, but I don't have the impression you're going that way? Unless the sacred is absoltuely awesome.
* If the barechested fanatic indeed has no/very low protection he's quite likely to die from even one hit (assuming human-range hp) and thus never get the chance to go berserk naturally.

Last edited by Amhazair; August 23rd, 2010 at 01:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Amhazair For This Useful Post:
Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM

Sergeant

Thank you Amhazair for giving me food for thought, this is the sort of comments I want.

I agree I'm looking pretty C'tissian. I feel like making the serpent-faced priests sort of staretsy but with different paths, Perhaps strong nature with some death and blood with fire and astral on a random pick. I think this could make them play like an interesting mix of C'tis and Pangea. The diversity is also good and only misses water and air.

The poison resistance is only on the sacreds, so I'll try to hit a balance between having them cost effective enough for early expansion, but not so cheap that they can be expendable enough to risk posoining to death with C'tissian tactics before you research the spells to boost their resistance. They'll be cap only too so it will limit the useage of C'tissian tactics with the sacreds in the mid/late game when resistance boosting spells will be useable, I'd expect to see people playing them differently from C'tis.

The fanatics are pretty disposable and actually may find some use without the beserk. They have two attacks and high basic morale after all. I might add a weak blood mage-priest who will thematically reside as a cult leader amongst the fanatics. They could serve as cheap blood hunters (since the only other blood pick is on my strong mages) and I'll add a national spell or 2 to cause area beserk to spark em off. An interesting tactic would be to use poison warfare to make the expendable fanatics turn beserk. The poison will probably kill them but it gives them a great boost to bring the fight to tough enemy troops and thugs.
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Sergeant

Sorry for the double post, but i think its understandable considering the circumstances.

2 years ago I began this mod, it was nearly ready for release, but then like the Pantokrator himself i disappeared suddenly without a trace. Perhaps it's ambitious comparing myself with ol' Panto, but hey, atleast I came back (more than he can say).

Not only have I returned, but I brought a present. Enjoy playing EA Melita guys, it still needs some work so be sure to tell me all your thoughts. Sorry for the wait.
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Corporal

Deathjester is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Melita:The Cursed Cure (playable finally) V1.1

Mentioned before, but you should cross post over here as well:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?act=idx

Nice mod! Good job!