.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Private

JPSeraph is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Mercenaries

Why do mercenaries and their troops automatically die if they flee a battle? Wouldn't it seem more reasonable to have them return to your forces if their contract isn't up and there is a safe land to retreat to or to simply return them to the Mercenary cue if the aforementioned conditions are not met?

I really had Pak-Ur going and was disappointed to see that he died because of auto-flee when some single troop that was in the garrison (due to fleeing a nearby battle) died in a battle Pak-Ur could have easily won on his own.
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:45 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about Mercenaries

yeah the ai is screwed up. I also think mercs should be able to recruit forces if they are not hired out over a month, thus replenishing their garrison
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:37 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Yeh - if the troops die / flee, the merc company should rehire. If the commander dies, a new, wimpier, commander should come up. Right now, mercs are fubar - they can win you a few provinces extra expecially really early, but wind up irrelevant, which sadly hasn't apparently changed from Dom2.
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Mercenaries, irrelevant? Tell that to Orion and the Shipwreckers. I couldn't disagree more; the ability to have an instant army pop up in any of your provinces for a relatively tiny amount of gold is very powerful, and the bidding wars in multiplayer are sometimes so tricky that I've seen use of mercenaries banned as a house rule until turn 10. And who cares if they die? I'm happier if So-and-So routs into oblivion rather than have him clog the mercenary queue with the two or so spearmen he retains. There are so many more bands to replace them.
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I find it particularly useful now to be able to hire mercs in a province that Im sieging a castle in. When Im storming a great unknown then sword fodder is very handy.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Private

JPSeraph is on a distinguished road

I don't think that mercenaries are irrelevant; far from it. But fleeing=dying seems kind of hoaky and is very annoying if you've invested heavily in a good mercenary company (such as Orion).

I don't see a problem with the mercenary queue being clogged since unhired mercs tend to disappear (into oblivion apparently) if left there for a few turns.

Perhaps if we see it differently, it's because we play the game differently (I prefer long, drawn out SP games).