.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KingMaker - let the Ascension War commence!

We will need it. Sybils are sending me some dark prophecies. But they probably just want some more gold or virgins...
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

"more gold or virgins."

"More" implies you believe you have given us some already. Since we have received none, maybe that is an oversight? Please feel free to correct that oversight.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

I will consider it when sybils start giving some good news.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road

Aren't sybils female? Aren't bloodslaves also, generally, female? I'd hate to be a LA Arcoscephalean bloodslave then.

Also I'm not really surprised that EA R'lyeh is doing fairly well, from my limited experience. They have some of the cheapest mindblasters in the game, if I remember, at 40 gold. They also have access to a lot of small chaff (little Aboleth spawn) to supplement their Lobo Guards. They're not very powerful on land, but underwater they might be able to beat MA R'lyeh in a fight. I'd even hazard to say that LA R'lyeh would have an unusually hard time against a roughly equal Aboleth nation. Mind you this is from one MP game wherein I lost miserably, and also coming from a complete newb. Take all this with a grain of salt.

But as for Ulm I staled and Jotunheim decided it would be a great idea to attack te province next to the province with the stack of hundreds of assorted superior Ulmish troops and a small army of Smiths. I expect the AI will try to meet this force head-on, possibly sending a F10 (maybe even with additional boosters!) crone in for epic old age action. Who knows.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

konming is on a distinguished road

EA oceania should be able to dominate EA R'lyeh in a regular game with W9S9 blessed triton knights. Just plenty of triton knights, hardly anything under water stops them. But I am not sure about how this goes in mega games.
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Lieutenant General

Zeldor:"I will consider it[paying gold] when sybils start giving some good news."

To question the integrity of the sybils is to tempt the wrath of the Fates. A favorable portent cannot be bought Zeldor!

That said, by coincidence, the sybils have had, ahem, a new foretelling concerning the fortunes of LA Agartha.

"Having learned humility from its failed attempt to recreate the Forge of the Ancients, and wisdom from the words of the sybils, fortune favors the Nation of LA Agartha in it coming major war and it will win a great victory. Be warned, however, that fortune can be a fickle mistress, and steps should be taken to assure that fortune remains on your side.
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM

Lieutenant General

And with the casting of Well of Misery, on turn 47, LA Caelum lays claim to the elemental royalty.

We have constr 8 reached by LA Agartha-
We have conj 8 reached by LA Caelum.

Even with very hard research, how much longer will it be until the first tartarians begin their assault upon the peaceful nations of the world?

The sand begins to fall rapidly through the hourglass for those without the means to kill a tartarian cyclops cloud trapezing onto their capital.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

Herode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by konming View Post
EA oceania should be able to dominate EA R'lyeh in a regular game with W9S9 blessed triton knights. Just plenty of triton knights, hardly anything under water stops them. But I am not sure about how this goes in mega games.
Might be that S9 bless that I missed. My bless is W10F5, so no MR bonus.

In a balanced situation regarding income & so on, I still think EA Oceania has fair chances anyway. The point is that the situation between me & R'lyeh in Kingmaker is not balanced at all (I mean : at this point of the game, not regarding nations, starting positions or rules).
I've been under attack from MA Oceania very early in the game, at which point EA R'lyeh broke the NAP/alliance we had, NAPed with MA Oceania, seized the neutral provinces I should have controlled and waited for MA Oceania to die, meanwhile accumulating troops, magic and gold.

The war against MA Oceania has not been so easy for me. Baalz fought fiercely & agressively. I still think he could have won the challenge, had he blessed his sacred with some useful stuff. BTW, I lost castles at t-1 from being built, MA Oceania troops lurked around my capitol and my provinces many turns in masses before me being able to gather enough troops and defeat them. I had to use all my diminished income to purchase expensive Triton Knights : no time nor money to build castles at the risk of being attacked during the process, so no other place where I could buy mages and do some research.

When MA Oceania eventually lost his capitol, EA R'lyeh attacked me. At this time, he had gathered a great deal of magic and income. Twice my income at least, not even mentionning my almost inexistent magic research. I won the first battles but he slowly attritionned me to death : mind blasts & paralyze casted behind a heavy screen of cheap troops, by hundreds, and massive shark attacks. Just nothing I can counter right now : even with Hold &... scripted, my knights soon end in the front line, fight one or 2 turns before being paralyzed, and then their Att0 Def0 stats just calls for their miserable death.

As for the troops spamming of R'lyeh, I confess I'm impressed. I see near MA Oceania a >600 army just coming. A few turns ago, there were hardly more than 200 troops around. Where the hell do these swarms come from, that I don't know. Similar things happen in the soutern provinces of the sea near my capitol, although a bit less impressive. Then : wow & gasp

Last edited by Herode; August 26th, 2008 at 05:14 AM..
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

The dust cloud grew larger as the legions of Midgard closed. Rank after rank of wildeyed skinchangers marched in a seemingly never ending throng hundreds strong. The air hummed with the charged energy as scores of air wizards prepared to tear the very heavens open with more lightning than this world has ever seen. Truly the might of Midgard had turned out to repel the army besieging their capital and their magic arsenal was terrible to behold. The central nexus of the army was a gigantic Great Mother, powerfully in her dominion and regenerating a staggering amount of damage per turn.

Lined up around the castle were ranks of gleaming golden Gandharvas, their shining armor looking like so many lightning rods flanked by the nearly naked Yavanas and a hanful of Markata servants. Vastly outnumbered and obscenely arcanely outgunned their generally awesome presence seemed a bit dimmer as the enemy forces lined up and prepared to charge. The golden army stood firm, prepared for whatever fate decreed for them.

With a huge roar the hoard of raging skinshifters charged forward to defend their homes, giant claymores held high with the promise of blood. The massive congress of mages began the evocations which would split the sky open and for a moment the golden army stood still. Then the Kalaisian general said one word. “Now”

Hundreds upon hundreds of Atavi archers sprang from cover – dropping out from trees, standing up in the long grass and bursting from concealed burrows. As they quickly drew and fired their bows the great god of Kalaisia manifest on the battlefield and caused the arrows to burst into flame while a sorceress appeared from nowhere to cause the air itself to guide the arrows true. The celestial music began to play, the strength of giants flowed into the golden army and the great prophet Cittaprabha invoked the divine blessing of Vishvamitra causing the weapons of the righteous to spring into flame. The Rishi known as Rage caused swarms of wolves to appear around the flanks of Midgard, the Light of the Northern Star shown down and the battle of fire against lightning was joined.

Over two hundred flaming arrows fell among the shieldless skinchangers in the initial volley and yet they proved resilient. Singed werefur sent acrid smoke into the air and Midgard sorceresses screeched as blazing arrows pierced their chests. Yet an avalanche cannot be stayed by arrows and the Midgard response was immediate.

The Midgard infantry split, half moving forward to engage the Golden Army, half pulling back to defend their mages from the wolves. Lacking any archers themselves, things looked to be grim for Midgard. Then the sky fell down. A torrent of lightning never before seen poured out of the sky. Thunderstrike followed thunderstrike with an occasional smaller lighting blast shooting out almost as a taunt. Nearly 50 blasts shook the Golden Army before they could react and the very ground bubbled with the energies released.

The might of Vishvamitra is undeniable though. His blessing not only gifts his most loyal followers with flaming weapons, it also twists fate itself to prevent them harm. Massive though the electrical discharge was, relatively few casualties were incurred amongst the Golden Army. The same cannot be said for the flanking wolves, yet they had served their purpose.

The next volley of flaming arrows darkened the sky and a fresh wave of wolves appeared on the flanks. Soul Slay after Paralyze was piled atop the tremendous Great Mother, but she paid them no mind. The forward division of skinchangers was more tightly clumped however and the casualties from the arrows were hideous. The Golden Army also closed on the front ranks of skinchangers and magically quickened flaming falchions cut a staggering path, threatening to push straight through to the mage congress in the center of Midgard’s forces.

Those wizards had an opinion on that, and it was terrible. The strength of Vishvamitra was exhausted and fate no longer bent for the Golden Army. The sky once again split open and this time hardly a blast smashed down that Yakasha or Gandaharva bodies were not flung in bloody heaps. Dozens upon dozens of the divine warriors lay piled in charred lifeless heaps.

Then the arrows came again, and the forward regiment of skinshifters was completely destroyed. The Golden Army charged forward eagerly as there was now nothing between them and the corps of mages intent on destroying them all. More than a dozen mages were slain in this charge. Then the Great Mother stepped forward.

As yet another overwhelming deluge of lighting rained down, the Great Mother led the rear regiment of skinshifters forward, trampling a terrible hole in the Golden Army’s lines into which skinshifters poured. The Golden Army was mere feet from slaying the Midgard sorcerers, yet those feet were filled with snarling werewolves. And the lighting rained down destroying everything it touched. Most of the Golden Army now lay lifeless, yet the Atavi archer corps were relatively untouched and the frontlines finally included Midgard wizards.

Now when the arrows came mages died by the score. Yet the Great Mother had shrugged off near fifty Soul Slays and Paralyzes with no magical hardening save her strong dominion and no matter how many mages were slain the lighting continued to rain down in an irresistible barrage, bringing the Golden Army to its knees.

As the last dozen golden warriors closed ranks, to quickly become surrounded by the remaining skinshifters, the skinshifters made a critical mistake and charged forward in mass, thus concentrating the last of their forces. As the last of the golden army was blasted by lighting the flaming arrows fell wiping out the critical amount of Midgard’s forces. Midgard broke and ran, yielding the field to 5(!) Yakasha and 110 Atavi archers. The Great Mother led the remaining score of wizards off in a route….which was cut off by two Kinnara heroes flying through the night to cut off their escape.

GG Anticipatient, that was truly an epic figh!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baalz For This Useful Post:
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Wow Baalz!

You should save that file, I am sure I'm not the only one intrigued by your colorful description.