.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:34 AM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default OS X crash log?

Experiencing extreme difficulties in my efforts to bring variable relations to mercenaries.

For some unknown reason, the game has taken to crashing upon my visiting stars. The only possible source of this new problem must be the new changes I've made, but I can't pinpoint the specific problem with it. Is there any type of crash log for OS X Weird Worlds at all, or will I have to just mess around with it until I get lucky?
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OS X crash log?

Open up Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder).

Once it's open, at the prompt, type:

cd /Applications/Weird\ Worlds/Weird\ Worlds.app/Contents/MacOS
./ww -verbose

When you hit return, it will open up Weird Worlds while keeping the Terminal window up in the background. After the game crashes, the Terminal window will be full of text, which, amongst all the notes about fleets and worlds generated, should hopefully include some clues as to why the game crashed. Sometimes the error messages make perfect sense, but more often they're a little obtuse.

You'll probably want to run it once without any mods (and thus without crashing) for a full game, so you can look over the data it put in the Terminal window. Then you can use that as a "control" or baseline to compare to the output when a mod crashes.
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerBob View Post
For some unknown reason, the game has taken to crashing upon my visiting stars. The only possible source of this new problem must be the new changes I've made, but I can't pinpoint the specific problem with it.
By the way, in my experience, the most common cause for a crash upon arriving at a star is that there's a typo in the name of the graphics file for a quest at that star. If the game goes looking for a picture and can't find it, it does weird things.

Check the GFXP line of all your recent quests. Make sure the names, with file extensions, match up, and that they list the correct folders to look in.
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Private

dysamoria is on a distinguished road

"Bus Error" or "Fatal signal: Bus Error (SDL Parachute Deployed)"
(depending on which version of SDL frameworks installed, the game's PPC or Intel/UB from internet)

lots of complaints about missing audio files:
"ERROR: audio_loadasset can't find combat/i_systm1.wav
audio_refasset: couldn't find combat/i_systm1.wav"

(i checked to make sure those files were in the default game audio folder, and they are)

"out of the box," i had to replace the openal.framework with a modern Intel version from the web, or remove it completely, in order to get the audio working at all.

any ideas? i'm trying to figure out why a bunch of mods don't work. currently trying to get "Added Content" to work. it crashes just sitting there watching the ships fight on the title/menu screen. MIGHT be related to a large ship explosion about to occur, but i cannot be sure.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Private

nicklemarr is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: OS X crash log?

[quote=dysamoria;767198]"Bus Error" or "Fatal signal: Bus Error (SDL Parachute Deployed)"
(depending on which version of SDL frameworks installed, the game's PPC or Intel/UB from internet)

(i checked to make sure those files were in the default game audio folder, and they are)/QUOTE]

Hey there. I figured I might chime in. I have gotten Fatal Signals with SDL Parachutes being deployed before, and almost every time had to do with me adding new content without changing the according references. I am in fact having the same problem with my newest mod.

There is no quick fix, with WW, it seem the SDL parachute gets deployed when there are missing resources.

The audio files that are there even though the verbose text says they aren't, is an indicator. It gives you a sort of idea where the missing/incorrect reference is.

I can only help you so much without having the files here in front of me.
My advice (what I just recently started doing) is create a table (spreadsheet mindmap, whatever works for you) in which you cross-reference all the changes. I cut down >90% of my errors after implementing this strategy.
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:33 PM

Private

dysamoria is on a distinguished road

yeah, i spent hours disassembling the mod and trying to rebuild it piece by piece to solve the problem, but i gave up. it's just too much work for me, just to play the thing. it's really damn frustrating because the mod is the "added content" mod, which i believe was by the original developers, and i like that mod's content a lot. sigh. the developers really need to get with it and update this game. i don't see why they're letting it rot on the Mac platform... (heck, it's gone no where for years on Windows either, but at least it works properly there). there needs to be a resource manager for mod editing/creation. it's just too much to maintain with spreadsheets and memory... sure as hell too much for me. i have problems with working memory (my brain).

EDIT: my bad; "Added Content" is a user mod. Still, i wanna play it. i wanna play several mods and they ALL crash.

Last edited by dysamoria; December 31st, 2010 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: factual error