.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEV Opponents Wanted

Old November 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Private

Gusset is on a distinguished road
Default quiet forum...

Well, this corner of the forum seems kinda quiet. I'll be bold and kick things off.

Opponent wanted... Just asking on the IRC channel hasn't generated a whole lot of response as of yet (must be asking at the wrong time of day/week).

Anyone up for a PBEM or PBFTP game? Drop me a message on this site. Note that while I've played MOO2 online for years, I'm new to SE, so I'm a little foggy on how the process works.

-Gusset
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:34 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: quiet forum...

Everyone's still getting a handle on the game, I think. Were you wanting Stock, or the Balance Mod?

The process works fairly simply. The players send in their empire files, the host sets up the game (making sure to select Different Machines), then sends out the first turn.

The only wrinkle is Simultaneous mode. That's how most SE players prefer to play multiplayer. Here, instead of the turn file being passed from player to player, its sent to all players at once, then they send the turn back to the host. Once all the turns are in the host runs the turn and sends out the next one.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Private

I'm thinking Balance Mod. A 1 vs. 1 game in a small quadrant with minimal AI empires might be best for a first game, to get a feel for things.

But I'd be open to just about anything...I just want to get my feet wet.
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Do you have an account with Play by Web? They just announced SE5 functionality, and it makes the process so much easier.

www.pbw.cc

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Private

OK, I signed up and joined the game. I don't know how many race points to use in my empire file, though.
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM

hah. Oops. Use 2000.

Also, it looks like PBW doesn't support mods yet, so I'll be running the turns manually. From your end nothing changes, you just won't get the next turn right away like you would normally. Make sure you have version .99 of the Balance Mod, as well.

-Digger
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Private

Balance .99 sounds fine. As of yet I can see no way to upload my empire file. I assume another button or other option will become visible when I'm able to.
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Should be able to now. Its been a while since I started a PBW game, forgot I had to hit accept before you could do so.

-Digger
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Private

OK, I uploaded. 2000 race points, zero starting tech point. I'll likely do most of my turns in the evenings or early mornings (US west coast).

Do players in SE games agree to certain "rules" that I should know about? For instance, when playing MOO2 online we usually outlaw invading the AI, and "ban" the use of certain technologies, for purposes of balance. I'm not suggesting anything, just providing examples to illustrate my question.

Also, are multiplayer SE games played in a "seek out and militarily destroy your opponent(s)" mindset, or do players try for different sorts of victory conditions?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I'm looking forward to this. I hope I don't bore you with too easy of a victory.
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM

First turn is up and ready to go. Low number of AIs, High Difficulty, no bonus, all other game settings standard.

Victory conditions can be set per game. For this one, its beat the crap out of everyone else.

Only house-rule I'd suggest is no using troops on AI homeworlds. They don't build enough troops early, so its too easy to grab one off the bat.

-Digger