.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carrion Woods ideas please

you forgot black servants, they scout and if you give em a lycan amulet, horror helm, some form of black steel armour (even the weak one) and a lucky pendant/vine shield they can slaughter indies. In my last, mega forgefest of doom ulm game i had a prophetised black servant (who, due to enemy dominion had about 12 health) hold a castle gate against hundreads of ulmish troops including multiple priests and loads of arbalests. he has full black steel armour+helm+kite shield, boots of giant strength and girdle of might for strength on lifesteal and an amulet of luck for all purpose. Black servants are cheap, low conjuration thugs and, with ethereal, decent starts, full slots and stealth work great for anyone with even below average forge powers.

I forgot about the - to defence, all carrion critters have atleast 4 attacks (3x sleep vine attacks+a claw/bite) iirc and some have 7 (6 sleep vine attacks). The multiple attacks+mega fatigue works great vrs small elite forces as high defence goes down with the multiple attacks until they are knocked out and killed. carrion woods, if they can get up mother oak and other spells (that one that reanimates dead people as vinemen is good for them) can be a force to be reckoned with and lategame when they have atleast dozens of unholy priests their reanimation numbers often can match those of ermor (since their summoned mages also reanimate) and, in extreme unholy mage hording then can surpase them.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:23 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

Thank you again, I have been able to drag myself out of the hole and am moving forward again. As you say, the mass of carrion critters are impressive, except against mechanical men... However, once they were out of the way, the green tide is rolling again.

The map is relativly small and gems are a bit short, so I have not been able to boost my units too much. However, more conservative play has helped me ensure that each attack is a win.

The AI is doing something interesting with Desert Tombs. It is holding some 1500 undead at the C'tis capital. Not quite sure what to do about them! I can eventually win the map if they stay passive, as I can win with provinces. However, I may see what a battle that big looks like. With Mass Protection, I know I am far more than a match for them with equal numbers, but 1500 is a fair bit.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM

Colonel

get a fairly strong commander (banelord/carrion lord/tartarian/pretender) and give them regen, reinvig and very high regen. Aslong as the enemy mages dont cast decay he will plow through undead armies like nothing you've ever seen and regenerating any wounds he takes due to godo hp, prot and regen.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:48 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

I thought regen didn't work on undead, like my Carrion Dragon or a Banelord? Let me give it a shot!

That said, it looks like I will be able to dominion them out. I have been pushing hard to keep the carrion critters coming and am slowly overwhealming C'tis. They are also on a long peninsula and I am taking the ocean around them and building temples. Hitting them from both sides should help. The game is taking a long time, the higher level of difficulty has made the AI pretty good.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:08 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

regen works on undead, but not on the lifeless. all the carrion things (dragon, ettin, mandragoras, etc) are lifeless, and thus - no regen.

Though lifedrain still works for them.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Colonel

yea, regen really helps if your sending your banelord vrs undead.