This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road
Question Re: The New Fangled Avatar Factory & Bar

David, what happened to all the old avatars?
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The New Fangled Avatar Factory & Bar

Annette, I have been trying to find a larger version of your avatar with no success. Was it part of the old forums 'cannon' avatars that got installed with the software in ages gone past? As you have seen, I did manage to find a few old 'Recreuiting posters' to make avatars, but still have not found the one you have. Do you know if it's a USO poster? Rockwell painting? or just some obscure war poster and that pose has been cropped from it? I'd really like to find a larger version of your avatar.

Cheers!

Xrati, the old avatars should still be around somewhere.. did you try scanning the old avatar emporium thread?
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette View Post
Shrapnel Games would need to have written documentation from the copyright holder to be able to host their images on our site. And it's really not of interest to us to seek permission to host images from other games. After all, our developers hired us to promote their games, no? While AoW is a great game enjoyed by users here and our developers alike, I just don't think it's a good idea . We really do need to respect copyright holders property and make sure our "official" catalogue only uses public domain or Shrapnel-owned images. I'd ask that we err on the safe side and not pursue this project as part of what we offer from our site.

And I haven't yet thanked you, David, for your great work here. We all are most appreciative of your contribution!
I can forward you the email I got from Lennart Sas of Triumph Studios in reply to my query, Annette. Would that be sufficient? I understand your position and that of Shrapnel games, which is why I went to such trouble to ask for and obtain the permission and did not post links to the stuff I made or the images themselves before I had it.
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Gervais View Post
First,.. here is your avatar Edi..

Cheers!

P.S. I flipped it to face into the threads.. it's just the way I see the avatars. if you want it flipped back let me know.
That is very, very good as is. No need to flip it back. Thank you!
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Annette, if you're gonna be a Copyright Nazi (tm), surely you'd thus delete my avatar (it's from the British sci-fi series "Red Dwarf"), and probably yours as well (looks like something off a WWII recruitment poster, probably belongs to the US Government and you don't want THEM on your bad side!) :P
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Its not so much Annette being a copyright nazi as Shrapnel being a copyright nazi. Company liability tends to override personal choices. What they do on their own desktop might be quite different than what they do on a publicly viewable server.

From what Ive seen, alot of this stuff is not a problem until someone openly declares where it came from.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM

General

Ed you should apologize to Annette for any reference to her as a nazi. copyright or other. It's just plain rude and if I could I'd spank you. there was no call for rudeness on your part, she was just stating the company policy.

There is an 'extreme' solution.. if I provide a 'link' to every source image I made an avatar out of 'AND' the Avatars themselves could be connected to the 'link' then it falls under the heading of advertizing.. you are using 'their' graphics to point people to 'their' site. it's 100% acceptable practice on the net. No court would or could condem a fan for promoting their fav image.. if things were 'extreme' on the other end.. I managed to violate 42 copyrights by making new icons for the 'bookmarks' using their 'favicons' or graphics from their sites. (without express written consent from each of these sites)

Personally I'm not worried, I'm not the paranoid type,.. but it just takes one 'lawsuit' to make anyone a little more paranoid. Nobody is using these avatars to make money, nobody is profiting from these, if anything it generates interest when someone sees an avatar and they delve deeper to reveal it's source. 'Nobody' goes to 'Any' forum.. sees a nice avatar image and says/thinks "Gee this is a nice avatar, I think I'll show my aprieciation by spending money here." lol.

I say "Chill people, it's a non-issue!". I'll make a few of the AoW avatars, and leave the decision weather or not to move any of them to the 'default selections' up to shrapnel. That is the best solution.. you all get access, and shrapnel cannot be responsible for links to my photobucket account.

Nuf said, now back to the fun..

Cheers!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David E. Gervais For This Useful Post:
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM

General

here are some AoW avatars..

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to David E. Gervais For This Useful Post:
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM

General

Well I hate to offend people, and if you want to ban me I certainly can't stop you (though I could start badmouthing Shrapnel, something I am loath to do after all these years of getting along with you guys), but I don't want to apologize right now... call me a free-software terrorist if you want, I don't care - that's not an insult to me, it's a compliment (he who gives up liberty for security being a coward who will get neither and all that)!
I might apologize later, but people really need to get over this "Nazis are off limits" thing - it really pisses me off! Humanity is capable of much worse than what the Nazis did, and I don't want to be the one to prove it!
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM

General

Hmm, I tried to edit my previous post but I guess it's too late or something... that's fine, I didn't want to take anything back, I just wanted to admit that yes, I am a troll and I know it and there's nothing I can do about it - political correctness just makes me want to go postal, and if I don't vent somewhere then I will probably wind up on the news...