.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Upload ye Pretenders!

I have been awaiting a response from Llamabeast to my PM's. I don't know how long it will be before I get a response. I suspect one of two things happened:

1. Some issue related to the recent problems with Llamaserver

2. Llamaserver does not know how to properly interface with the game settings to set AI players correctly when they are setup via .map file commands.

I've tested the .map file on my computer and no problems, as long as I manually set the 4 AI's specified in the .map file in the game setup screen. If I don't the game won't start and crashes with a "nagok gik fel" error saying it cannot find the AI's.

Unless DrP, or another vet knows more about this issue and until I hear something back from Llamabeast, I am probably going to try re-creating the game again setting max players to 20 (an extra 4 to account for the AI) and auto-start turned off. I'll direct players to send copies of their pretenders to my e-mail as well so that I can pass them on to Gandalf for hosting on his server if need be.

Comments, suggestions? Before I begin.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Not to worry Grudge, your fearless captain is here.
I can resubmit your pretender.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The way llamaserver is set up is geared toward human MP games (there's no way to set AI player options), and there have been so few games like ours that I wasn't aware Llamabeast may need to actually set up our game for us (no precedents I could find). I was assuming the .map file would pass the necessary variables to the game through some arcane magic only the creator of the llamaserver understands.

Assuming, this is not a problem related to the recent issues on Llamaserver, we could use 20 pretenders (have Gandalf design the AI Gods), submit them, and then turn them AI, but that might lose alot of the extra stuff Gandalf has put into the .map file, and would lose a turn of AI actions.

I will wait till tommorow to hear from Llamabeast (I know our game is on the server somewhere, probably crashed) to see if he can set up the game so that the AI specifications in the .map file are correctly passed to the server. If I don't hear something by then, we probably need to host via Gandalf. It is a mystery to me as to how the llamaserver actually interacts with the game setup screen you normally see.

I hope everyone understands that I anticipated this might happen and I want to reassure all players that we will start as soon as possible, on one server or another.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:17 PM..
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The way the LLama server runs has its pros and cons. Since its only pbem games he can support a game-creation page. Since my server runs each game continually I cant afford to open those flood doors altho I did mess with it abit.

And the AI glitch is actually a "broken" thing in the game itself. Part of the "scenario" thing that isnt really working in Dom3. AI's added to the map (scenario) SHOULD automatically see the AIs and include them as players IMHO. That is how the scenario tag worked in Dom2.

The workaround is that you have to add command-line switches putting in the AIs. LLama might be willing to hand-massage that but he is pretty involved with the move and all.

Doing the AIs as players then flipping to ai is an option but it puts them into the games cheat-detection limits. They would be better than randomly created ones, but not as good as offline designed ones.
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

well, I have lots of machines lying around, and a static ip address. If you can do the setup gandalf I can do some of the other grunt work, like burning ubunto whatever on it.
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

the community can always use another server
http://any1can.blogspot.com/
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well, I've received no response from Llamabeast regarding our lost game. In the interests of moving things along, we will therefore make use of Gandalf's server.

Please send your pretender files to my e-mail: septimius.severus211@yahoo.com

Putting "Noobs & Vets" or anything like that somewhere in the e-mail will be helpful so I don't delete them by accident.

Once I receive all files, I will forward them and our game files to Gandalf, and any other needed info, so he can set the game up.

We can then either play via e-mail or via direct connect or perhaps even a combination of both. Direct connect saves alot of time in sending and recieving e-mails back and forth. As long as I can save my turn and don't have to do everything in one sitting, it is a fine option. But this will be up to you guys. Gandalf can elaborate more on our play options.

Send me those pretenders ASAP.

Old October 25th, 2009, 03:15 AM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Send ye Pretenders to Me!

oh god. i can see things really fubar'd while i was gone. i'll send my god to sept tomorrow if i can.
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Send ye Pretenders to Me!

ok, I'm quitting this game. Its been going for a month and a half and is going nowhere.
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Corporal

melnorjr is on a distinguished road

It should be starting very soon - if it weren't for the server issues it would have been going already. If you stick it out just a little longer things should get rolling.

of course, we won't hold it against you if you do leave.