.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:28 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Noob Game

Hi All:

Here's my three cents...

I don't think that it is necessary to have a special email address as a PBEM host. I am currently hosting 2 PBEM games and have played several 1x1 or 1x1x1 PBEM games. On the other hand, a special email address wouldn't hurt.

It's usually helpful to have a keyword in the subject line of emails (e.g, "Noob," "RAND", etc.) Then you can use an email filter to collect all email correspondence to a designated folder for easy retrieval and record keeping. This is helpful for the host and for player diplomacy.

I have a Mac and use the automator function to quickly create the various emails with addresses and attachments after I have hosted a turn. I am sure there is a similar thing available for Windows.

Finally, it's important to make regular backups on an external hard drive or something just in case. I actually create an archive of each turn in case players wish to peek after the game is done. A master password for the host is helpful for that.

In the long run, I actually prefer PBEM over a server. Servers are a bit of a pain to connect to. PBEM simply requires saving the various files to the correct folder, which is very easy.

Just my thoughts... Have fun!

Pasha