winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 31st, 2017, 01:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Stryker platoon

Does anyone know for sure ( I don't need guesses ) how many Javelin's a typical Stryker platoon would have ready and available for use?

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 2nd, 2017, 02:36 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Stryker platoon

This is the only answer I can give you for now, though I've seen some numbers from my sources ranging from 6-14 per. But we always strive for better out here and as you and some others know from over the many years I only know one way to get at the tough ones, so with that in mind and with my "charming personality" here I go again...

"Stryker armed with JAVELIN ATGW.
patrick conklin
Today, 2:14 AM2CavReg@gmail.com

Sir or Maam,

Good Morning! I don’t know if you can help with this question or not. I’m curious to find out as I can’t find the information on the web from sources like IHS JANE’s 360, army-recognition.com, army technology.com and defenceindustrydaily.com and other similar sites, on how many JAVELIN missiles the purposed “new” Dragoon Stryker’s will carry when fielded in the Spring and or Summer of 2018 along with the ones equipped with the KONGSBERG MCT-21 30mm turret. We are in the process of organizing these new Stryker’s in the USA OOB into formations based on open web sources. So yes this for a game.

For the sake of disclosure, I do not represent in any way Shrapnel Games or the developers of WinSPMBT. My sole interest is in the submission of new equipment, revision of same etc. etc. to maintain as much as is possible to factually represent a particular piece of equipment to the best of our ability.

I have requested in the past similar such information from several other countries and have archived those emails. And would make them available as needed. I am retired from the USN after twenty years of service in the Submarine Service. Please don’t hold that against me, my Dad served in the Army for almost 28yrs. retiring in 1970.

If you can supply a simply Platoon/or Company level TO&E that would be great as well along with I hope at least a decent ball park number again on the number of JAVELIN missiles a Stryker can carry. I know I won’t receive any classified information and really I seen enough in my career to last a lifetime!?!

If I can answer any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

For now, I appreciate any assistance in this matter as can be given.

Thank You for your valuable time and the job being done now I still believe, in Poland.

Have a Great Day!

Regards,
Pat Conklin USN/SS Ret.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10"

Hopefully this will be more like Australia, Austria, Germany, Romania and UK, more recently Canada on the LAV 6.0. and not like my friends at the French MOD though they did send an auto reply letting me know they received my request. I thought that was very nice of them.

We'll see and I'll post the results if any at all responses are received. Bottom line I've had worse said to me than "NO".

I'm off to bed, so good night/morning or afternoon!!

Regards,
Pat

Almost forgot a good story about the JAVELIN and the improvements made to it. The first video is very good and quite frankly I didn't realize how potent it was as tested on a T-72.
http://www.scout.com/military/warrio...te-tank-killer

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; April 2nd, 2017 at 02:53 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:50 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stryker platoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Does anyone know for sure ( I don't need guesses ) how many Javelin's a typical Stryker platoon would have ready and available for use?

Don
Don, are you asking about launchers (or CLUs)? In that case the answer is two. In a fully manned US Stryker or light infantry Weapons Squad you will have 2x 2-man M-240B mg teams and 2x two-man anti-armor teams who will carry either the Javelins OR Carl Gustavs, plus the squad leader.

If you're asking about missiles, that's a bit more difficult.

As far as the missiles themselves, the game I think gets it right in giving missile teams four rounds. The team would really struggle to carry more than that for any real distance. On the other hand, if you know there is an armor threat or (my own experience) that you're going to be slinging missiles at mud brick grape huts or something, you can cram a lot more rounds into a Stryker. The vehicle has lots of space to tie down your mission equipment and as long as the missiles team stays close they can keep going back to the well for more. So overall I think the way it is now gets it right.

This is all based on what I know from commanding a Stryker rifle company about five years ago. If you want doctrinal verification, Field Manual 3-21.11 "Stryker Infantry Company " will be your best source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post:
Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Rifles View Post
Quote:

Don
Don, are you asking about launchers (or CLUs)? In that case the answer is two. In a fully manned US Stryker or light infantry Weapons Squad you will have 2x 2-man M-240B mg teams and 2x two-man anti-armor teams who will carry either the Javelins OR Carl Gustavs, plus the squad leader.

If you're asking about missiles, that's a bit more difficult.

As far as the missiles themselves, the game I think gets it right in giving missile teams four rounds. The team would really struggle to carry more than that for any real distance. On the other hand, if you know there is an armor threat or (my own experience) that you're going to be slinging missiles at mud brick grape huts or something, you can cram a lot more rounds into a Stryker. The vehicle has lots of space to tie down your mission equipment and as long as the missiles team stays close they can keep going back to the well for more. So overall I think the way it is now gets it right.

This is all based on what I know from commanding a Stryker rifle company about five years ago. If you want doctrinal verification, Field Manual 3-21.11 "Stryker Infantry Company " will be your best source.

The question was about the number of Javelins a stryker pl might typically have on hand and available and the answer you gave covers it. I have the overall teams up to strength with 9 men now. A suggestion had been made that I lower the main full strength teams vision to 20 and add in the "normal" 2 man Javelin teams while reducing the main team to 7 men but it does add complication for little gain......yes the main team has 40 vision but only the javelin has the range to use it and unless you are on a dead flat map on a sunny day you rarely can see 40 hexes anyway.

The question Pat has asked will come in handy once we find out more info on it

I have added a new Dragoon Pl (and Trp) for next year but it's mainly guess work ATM but both it and the regular Lt Mech Pl now carry a total of 12 javelins per platoon.....and I was wondering if that is too many...it sounds like it's OK

EDIT

However, you do say " Javelins OR Carl Gustavs" so if I built a duplicate of the Javelin unit ( 725 ) but armed it with CG's and a lower vision rating that could cover both choices........ ?

Are AT4's also carried?

Thanks for your answer

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 2nd, 2017 at 08:37 AM..
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:03 PM

Corporal

I think giving the CG teams a lower rating makes sense. The Javeline CLU is an incredible piece of equipment with powerful optics. It's used all the time for recon and observation, not just for firing the missile, and the Gustavs just won't have the same capability. I say Javelin OR Gustav because they operate on the "arms room concept," meaning that the squad has the manpower to operate one or the other, but not both at the same time. So one of the weapons will remain in the arms room (or conex, or wherever). Company and battalion mortars operate on the same concept: the company has crews to operate the dismounted 60mm mortars OR the Stryker-mounted 120s, and the battalion mortar platoon can man the dismounted 81s OR the 120s, but not both at the same time. A platoon of Strykers could easily fit twelve Javelin rounds into their vehicles, and I imagine that's what 2CR over in Europe would do if things got interesting with the Russians. As far as AT-4s, yes, we carry them in the rifle squads. I've only seen them 2 per squad, but that was in a COIN environment. I'm sure facing a heavy armor threat that the platoon would draw more.

Back to the question about vision, though, a present-day US infantry company (Stryker, Mech, or light) fields enough weapon-mounted thermal sights (various types of the AN/PAS-13) to equip about half the company. These don't always come out of the arms room either, but the MG teams at least almost always carry them. Obviously they don't our the same capability as the Javelin CLU, but they are added capability nonetheless. Also, our newest helmet-mounted NVGs that we were using five years ago in Afghanistan actually combine thermal and IR viewers into a single image, so vision continues to improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post:
Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
the company has crews to operate the dismounted 60mm mortars OR the Stryker-mounted 120s, and the battalion mortar platoon can man the dismounted 81s OR the 120s, but not both at the same time.

Now...this is something I wanted to "fix" as well the old LMC Spt 04 H formation had a Stryker, an 81 mm mortar and 2 120mm M1129's. The problem with that for the game is the 81 mm mortars will not auto-load into the Stryker making it a bit sloppy for a human player as they always have to load it manually but the real problem is if you don't manually deploy everything the game will place the troops in the formation out of sequence to the carriers skipping the 81 mm mortar and you end up with the last carrier in the coy empty and the 81 mm mortar on foot and it always seemed odd there would be a dismounted mortar mixed in with SP mortars and a organization chart I saw recently showed just two 1129's...no foot mortar so I changed that plt to 2 m1129s.....so is that wrong ?

Old April 2nd, 2017, 10:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Stryker platoon

Don I don't know how extensive your work is going to be in reorganizing those TO&E's but the following from official source shows the direction the USA is taking to reorganize their Scout formations by 2020. As you will see the process is already underway from 2005 to present. The IBCT Sqdn. seems to be the only one still in transition due to vehicle replacement and capabilities.
http://www.benning.army.mil/armor/eA...SEP/Lowry.html

Also from a very recent version of FM-3-21.11 Chapter 1
SBCT infantry rifle company organization. This includes TO&E Chart.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-21-11/c01.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	SBCT Rifle Company.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	14691

I'll cease and desist now until I hear something back. Your in good hands with "Airborne Rifles" I should think.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I believe that's the graphic I was looking at

Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:19 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Quote:
the company has crews to operate the dismounted 60mm mortars OR the Stryker-mounted 120s, and the battalion mortar platoon can man the dismounted 81s OR the 120s, but not both at the same time.

Now...this is something I wanted to "fix" as well the old LMC Spt 04 H formation had a Stryker, an 81 mm mortar and 2 120mm M1129's. The problem with that for the game is the 81 mm mortars will not auto-load into the Stryker making it a bit sloppy for a human player as they always have to load it manually but the real problem is if you don't manually deploy everything the game will place the troops in the formation out of sequence to the carriers skipping the 81 mm mortar and you end up with the last carrier in the coy empty and the 81 mm mortar on foot and it always seemed odd there would be a dismounted mortar mixed in with SP mortars and a organization chart I saw recently showed just two 1129's...no foot mortar so I changed that plt to 2 m1129s.....so is that wrong ?
Don, two M1129s with no foot mortar is correct. The 60s are there so the company can fight dismounted if need be. Same with the 81s in the battalion mortar platoon. The idea of a Stryker unit is that you have the "boots on the ground" of a full light infantry formation PLUS the mobility of the Stryker. Manpower wise they're big formations, but not big enough to man both kinds of mortar systems at once.

Side note, ten 120mm mortars in a Stryker battalion is an impressive amount of firepower.
The Following User Says Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post:
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Don, two M1129s with no foot mortar is correct. The 60s are there so the company can fight dismounted if need be. Same with the 81s in the battalion mortar platoon. The idea of a Stryker unit is that you have the "boots on the ground" of a full light infantry formation PLUS the mobility of the Stryker. Manpower wise they're big formations, but not big enough to man both kinds of mortar systems at once.

Side note, ten 120mm mortars in a Stryker battalion is an impressive amount of firepower.
I have corrected the mortar formation.

I have also been a bit " creative " with one of the platoons.

F791 is a standard Lt Mech Co -AT platoon a human player can buy but if a Lt Mech Co -AT was bought you'd get two of those and one that cannot be bought individually........Lt Mech Pl -AT* ( F798)

F791 has a 6 man . (2 MMG) section and that's been the "standard"

F798 now has two 3 man (1 MMG) sections...same number of men, same number of MMG's but a touch more deployment flexibility

Don

Last edited by DRG; April 3rd, 2017 at 10:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: