.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:50 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions II Bug Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
This may or may not be a bug, but nevertheless...
I have a hero who through hall of fame gained quickness. He now has three actions per turn due to the heroic ability (no extra items or spells that would give him quickness), but the problem is that the third action in a turn does not follow his script any more. In other words, he has five spells scripted, and then attack archers. In the first turn, he casts two spells and then attacks (he can fly), and on the second turn he continues with his script by casting the next two spells as instructed. He is not berserking or anything like that, and he followed the script when he had only two actions per turn.
Difficult to say. What spell didn't he cast. Was it perhaps out of range or something?
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Difficult to say. What spell didn't he cast. Was it perhaps out of range or something?
No, the script was body ethereal, personal luck, astral shield, fire shield, astral weapon, attack archers. So, his first turn would look something like this: body ethereal, personal luck, attack (I guess closest, but it's difficult to say); second turn: astral shield, fire shield (if he was able to cast them due to enemy surrounding him now), attack. And so on. It was with Magoth the archdevil, so he was able to fly right into the enemy ranks, which made it even worse. I have the save (or I could make one, since the game is still going).

[ November 22, 2003, 21:15: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:04 AM

Major

Jasper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper:
Very Minor bug. I recall I believe KO saying that the Medusa recovered from afflictions, similar to Pangaean troops. As far as I can tell (~100 turns over several games), this is not the case.

Also, do you guys have any sort of formal bug tracking setup? Or is this the right place?
You are right about the Medusa. In the upcoming patch there will be a symbol showing if a unit heals wounds. This will it easier for me as well as you. She might have changed again. She's not too strong in my opinion.

We are not very formal, so I suppose this is it. We have an internal list that I am currently updating.

The Medusa is a bit weak, and could probably do with a more hitpoints (20 for size 5?), and perhaps a starting dominion of 2 or even 3. She certainly doesn't compare well with the stock Prince of Death.

This is an ok place to keep posting bugs, but it could be improved. Perhaps a seperate board, where each bug is posted as it's own thread? This still doesn't allow you to easily prioritize, sort, or search -- but it'd definitely be an improvement.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:09 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HJ:
This may or may not be a bug, but nevertheless...
I have a hero who through hall of fame gained quickness. He now has three actions per turn due to the heroic ability (no extra items or spells that would give him quickness), but the problem is that the third action in a turn does not follow his script any more.[...]
I've noticed this in Dom 1 as well. If the mage has Quickness 101+% and is scripted to cast (s1)(s2)(s3)(s4)(s5)(spells), he will actually cast:

1st round: s1, s2, sX
2nd round: s3, s4 (and also sY if Quickness 201+%)
3rd round: s5, more spells

The problem is, if the mage is scripted like this (s1)(s2)(s3)(s4)(s5)(attack), he will do

1st round: s1, s2, attack
2nd round: s3, s4 (and attack if Quickness 201+%)
3rd round: s5, attack
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:40 AM

General

Quote:
The Medusa is a bit weak, and could probably do with a more hitpoints (20 for size 5?), and perhaps a starting dominion of 2 or even 3. She certainly doesn't compare well with the stock Prince of Death.
The size is much due to her wings. Winged critters have higher size then their counterparts. Demons and such have higher Hp:s then other beings of the same size. The medusa is perhaps comparable to a pan or minotaur, but perhaps she deserves some more.

Quote:
This is an ok place to keep posting bugs, but it could be improved. Perhaps a seperate board, where each bug is posted as it's own thread? This still doesn't allow you to easily prioritize, sort, or search -- but it'd definitely be an improvement.
Might be a good idea, this thread is somewhat unstructured (as are most threads).
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:42 AM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagot Gick Fel:
I've noticed this in Dom 1 as well. If the mage has Quickness 101+% and is scripted to cast (s1)(s2)(s3)(s4)(s5)(spells), he will actually cast:

1st round: s1, s2, sX
2nd round: s3, s4 (and also sY if Quickness 201+%)
3rd round: s5, more spells

The problem is, if the mage is scripted like this (s1)(s2)(s3)(s4)(s5)(attack), he will do

1st round: s1, s2, attack
2nd round: s3, s4 (and attack if Quickness 201+%)
3rd round: s5, attack
Odd, we'll take a look.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:30 AM

Major

Quote:
quote:
The size is much due to her wings. Winged critters have higher size then their counterparts. Demons and such have higher Hp:s then other beings of the same size. The medusa is perhaps comparable to a pan or minotaur, but perhaps she deserves some more.

Compareable to a Pan or Minotaur is about what I had in mind. They're size 3, and have respectively 27 and 25 hit points. Perhaps size 4 for the wings, 30 hit points?

Even then the Prince of Death is still much more attractive; higher hitpoints, attack, defense, protection, 0 enc, Dominion 3, new paths cost 80, etc. Plus Pangaea doesn't really need further Nature and Earth magic. ;-)

Dominion 3 and 50 cost paths would help. Still not as good as the PoD, but then again he's easily one of the best Pretenders, especially for factions without access to death magic.

In the end I don't really care much about the Medusa per se, but more improving the weaker Pretenders -- especially the nation specific ones. Hopefully this will lead to improved competitive variety. :-)
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:27 AM

General

Quote:

Compareable to a Pan or Minotaur is about what I had in mind. They're size 3, and have respectively 27 and 25 hit points. Perhaps size 4 for the wings, 30 hit points?
Size should be same as PoD (same basic sprite). HP 25 or 30 is not unreasonable.

Quote:
Even then the Prince of Death is still much more attractive; higher hitpoints, attack, defense, protection, 0 enc, Dominion 3, new paths cost 80, etc. Plus Pangaea doesn't really need further Nature and Earth magic. ;-)

Dominion 3 and 50 cost paths would help. Still not as good as the PoD, but then again he's easily one of the best Pretenders, especially for factions without access to death magic.
Is he too powerful? I havn't thought much about him lately, although he is one of my favourites.

Quote:

In the end I don't really care much about the Medusa per se, but more improving the weaker Pretenders -- especially the nation specific ones. Hopefully this will lead to improved competitive variety. :-)
I agree on the nation specific ones.

BTW is Shedu still unpopular. IIRC you are one of the enemies of Magic Duel so I suspect the answer is yes
Old November 23rd, 2003, 01:39 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:

Prince of Death
Is he too powerful?
PoD supercombattants have not that many hps to start with and could be easily undone with Dust to Dust, and now nature mages have that prec 100 Maggots thing. Every nation should be able to get low nature or death mages after a while, so I think the PoD will look less frightening in Doms 2, he should be OK now.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:01 PM

Major

Quote:
Is [PoD] too powerful? I havn't thought much about him lately, although he is one of my favourites.
There is a reason he is so popular. For example, while NGF is quick to defend the PoD, he is also quick to recommend new players play a PoD... Still, I'm reluctant to say he's _too_ powerfull, although he'd be good even if he cost 75.

This is really a philosophical question anyway... Weakening things that people like pisses them off, and IMHO should be avoided unless there are just a few overpowerfull things. One is generally better off improving weaker things or weaker catagories of things.

Quote:
BTW is Shedu still unpopular. IIRC you are one of the enemies of Magic Duel so I suspect the answer is yes
I'm not really against Magic Duel, it just has a harsh flavor that takes some getting used to, like fermented drink. I am however not Masochistic enough to use expensive things that are vulnerable to Magic Duel!

So IMHO the Shedu is not only unpopular, it sucks! Flight, Trampling, and 230 hp is nice. But it doesn't make up for low attack/defense, comparatively low magic plus expensive paths, and espeically for inability to use items. The low protection is also a big deal despite access to earth magic, as it makes the Shedu unsafe for expansion until Alteration 3 is researched (Iron Skin, Body Ethereal). And this is all without taking into account it costs 125 but starts with Astral 1!

To put this all into perspective, compare the Shedu to the Earth Mother. She's 50 pts less, regenerates, can use all items, isn't vulnerable to Magic Duel, and is available to all factions.

IMHO the Shedu could be improved by having Air 1 instead of Astral 1 (I don't believe there are any air/earth pretenders), decreasing it's cost by 25, and improving it's natural protection to 12.