.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Corporal

dojango is on a distinguished road
Default Glorious Victory! Followed by a strategic withdrawal

So, it was the battle of battles. The showdown between good and also good (but followers of a different belief system). I ordered our glorious army to march into the chokepoint between the two empires where we would meet on the field of battle.

When the turn report came up the next turn, it was a defeat! A pyrric victory for the worthy foe, but a defeat nonetheless. So I watched the battle to see what went wrong...

Without going into too much detail, our army put the enemy to flight! The enemy's fleeing troops were cut down, no mercy asked for nor given. It looked like a great victory for me and the one true god! But nonetheless, on the strategic map, my armies were scattered and the enemy remained in control of the province.

What happened? Was the battle that the server resolved different from the one that was sent to me? Is this a common bug? Just wondering.

Last edited by dojango; December 11th, 2011 at 02:56 PM..
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Corporal

Iron Duke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glorious Victory! Followed by a strategic withdrawal

Happens from time to time. Happened to me in a mp game twice in the consecutive rounds. I'd been away and only recently have come back but back then the cause was not known. People say they got this in both sp and mp. It's also said this was a rare bug, I wouldn't know though. It sucked losing the battle, provinces, mages, thugs while actually you routed the enemy(in my case routing them BADLY) twice in two turns.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a bug. Your boys just just weren't feeling the fight anymore. Maybe morale checks should be easier when you've killed lots of enemies. IDK.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road

The reason I heard for this bug, was 'different versions of an mod on server and PC'.
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

It is a bug, the rareness level is a bit debatable though. It seems to happen at least once in any game of significant length, both in mp and sp. Though it is definitely more common in mp. Anyway, it is some sort of mixup of the replay where the replay assumes something happened that changed the course of the battle as compared to what the results are saying. When that happens you pretty much have to pretend that your minions are spinning tall tales and giving you a slightly more optomistic idea of what happened in the battle than reality.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Corporal

dojango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx
It's not a bug. Your boys just just weren't feeling the fight anymore. Maybe morale checks should be easier when you've killed lots of enemies. IDK.
possibly, although if that were the case it would have said "the armies of [redacted] are routed! followed by my dudes fleeing, which didn't seem to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
It is a bug, the rareness level is a bit debatable though. It seems to happen at least once in any game of significant length, both in mp and sp. Though it is definitely more common in mp. Anyway, it is some sort of mixup of the replay where the replay assumes something happened that changed the course of the battle as compared to what the results are saying. When that happens you pretty much have to pretend that your minions are spinning tall tales and giving you a slightly more optomistic idea of what happened in the battle than reality.
i suppose that does mpre accurately portray real war (tm). guess we'll find out next turn how many of the enemy survived.
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Have you corresponded with the other party about what he saw? Or if he did anything that could have influenced it? Or are you too pissed at him
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Corporal

Scaramuccia is on a distinguished road

I saw the same thing. My army routed but kept province.
Additional info:
Defender was patrolling castle. And found some spies after.
The only strange thing in replay - I was routing in each combat round after some point, maybe this could help.
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Private

janthony is on a distinguished road

I was involved in an SP game with a Heliophagus SC and an entire Midgard army. They routed entirely. Except for one Van who simply didn't seem to exist. The Van was also the winner of the Death Match that turn. The army routed, my caster kept spamming pillar of fire at the Van, with him suffering no damage. And then the battle ended, with my SC having 'fled' while surrounded by enemy provinces. I was not told that my army routed, but the battle simply ended after a dozen or so turns. I assumed it was just a bug.
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Bullock is on a distinguished road

This bug happened to me twice in 2 days in 2 different MP game.

-In the first case i had an army of 150~ troops + 1 SC
Victory in both fight screen & report but my SC did a pretty good fight on motion but was dead in the report ...

- and last time like Dojango but in my favor: the fight show a slight defeat but a victory in the report (and the report has always the last word =p)

The weird thing his people seems to have the same fight event (those who had a spy on the land or the opponent) which let me think it comes from the server, but if this bug happen also in SP ...

i also heard it could be an issue with rounding of CPU chipset the discrepancy due to the different kind of CPU (number of cores). prolly an urban legend