Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Corporal

harlikwin is on a distinguished road
Default MICLIC mineclearing?

Is there any way SPMBT simulates this? Its basically a linear charge fired by rockets to clear a lane through a minefield its very rapid (i.e. seconds) and effective.

If I were to make a unit representing one of these would I just use a Combat Eng vehicle class?

How could I represent this as an addon to an existing vehicle?
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MICLIC mineclearing?

No, there isn't a mechanism to simulate that, except the fact that engineers (and mineclearing and engineer tanks) clear the ground pretty quickly.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Corporal

Is there a way to speed it up.

Also can you just drive Mine Clearing vehicles through a mine field (mine rollers or whatever) without them getting disabled? (this would about as well for my purposes as well).
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We have NO plans to introduce MICLIC mineclearing to the game ( or mine scattering vehicles )

No, you cannot drive a Mine Clearing vehicles through a mine field at full speed without them getting disabled. Would you do that in RL ? Charging into a minefield at 30MPH is not healthy no matter what you're riding in and sometimes a mine will disable even a MC vehicle handled correctly. "War is Hell and S**t happens" NOTHING in this game is 100% certain or predictable.

Yes, you can have more than one mine clearing vehicle or engineer unit working on a hex and that clears it faster. It will also increase the chances of disablement. Better to use engineers and a MC vehicle together ( that 'ole " combined arms approach" )

Keep in mind the game allows you to clear one hex, or about 2500 square yards, of terrain somewhat quicker that would be the case in reality and since this is a game there are compromises made with "reality" and game play

Don

Last edited by DRG; March 10th, 2009 at 12:46 PM..
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Corporal

DRG, perhaps you misunderstood my intent. I wasn't asking for you guys to formally introduce it into the game for a start.

In reality no one would drive a vehicle at full speed into a minefield.

However, my intent was to create something that might work as a MICLIC that was possible given the extant game mechanics. In reality engineers would never clear a whole hex, rather they would clear lanes through said hex for vehicles to pass through. this is what a MICLIC does and it does it very quickly. So I was merely trying to figure out a way to do something like this given the current game mechanics.

How reduced would the chance for mine disablement be if you had a mine roller tank that pulled up to said mine field (detected field) paused for 1 turn, and then carefully drove into/over it? From what I recall this generally seems to work but don't know numbers off the top of my head.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

IIRC, the MCLIC and similar charges aren't a panacea and normal mineclearing procedures have to be employed anyway in order to use the route - not all mines would explode along the MCLIC path.
Btw another big concession is engineers and MC vehicles being able to clean mines from an adjacent hex - so think of it like another acknowledging of their special equipment (incl. MCLIC and alike).
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

If you modify the vehicle no weapons or possibly a MG but reduce its accuarcy ROF to compensate boost experience to say 120 & it will both find & clear mines faster
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Private

Hub01 is on a distinguished road

For general reading interest, here's a brief article on mineclearing during ODS:

http://maic.jmu.edu/Journal/5.3/focu...s_houlihan.htm

As far as mineclearing with US forces in WinSPMBT, I think the current game delay in clearing a "hex" is sufficient if you take into account the total time required for the initial clearance attempt (MICLIC or otherwise), proofing the lane a couple of times, and then marking the open lanes, along with the approach and egress routes.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:32 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub01 View Post
For general reading interest, here's a brief article on mineclearing during ODS:

http://maic.jmu.edu/Journal/5.3/focu...s_houlihan.htm

As far as mineclearing with US forces in WinSPMBT, I think the current game delay in clearing a "hex" is sufficient if you take into account the total time required for the initial clearance attempt (MICLIC or otherwise), proofing the lane a couple of times, and then marking the open lanes, along with the approach and egress routes.
In fact its not that far off, if anything a bit quick as I think DRG said
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
No, you cannot drive a Mine Clearing vehicles through a mine field at full speed without them getting disabled. Would you do that in RL ? Charging into a minefield at 30MPH is not healthy no matter what you're riding in and sometimes a mine will disable even a MC vehicle handled correctly. "War is Hell and S**t happens" NOTHING in this game is 100% certain or predictable.

Don
You can say that again. Had a Challenger 2 Mine Plow hit a minefield at 16 MPH and get immobilized. The Warrior (also at 16 MPH IIRC) following it with Pioneers aboard promptly blew up on a minefield in the hex directly behind which the Plow had failed to detect.

Likewise had a T-55 Dozer get immobilized at 4 MPH. So apparently there is no "optimum" safe speed when dealing with mines. Sorta like in real life, no?