winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are you tough enough to be the \"King of the Hi

Quote:
Alneyan said:
You know, I think you should stop using your viruses. You've managed to knock down PBW yesterday, and now I cannot load our game in SEIV. Can you play the current turn? It might be that Wine went down crashing on me.

So, you should behave in a more manly manner for once. Let's fight in the most virile of all games: Tetrinet, or maybe Freespace 2. In other words, games I'm somewhat skilled at... there ain't many of those. At least it makes finding opponents trivial, since any bot can give me a rough time. (Operation Flashpoint reminds me of the proverbial broadside of the barn)
I'm afraid I get the dreaded, "access violation". when I try to load it.

Might have to ask PB to re-run the turn. If that doesn't work, then you have to redo YOUR turn!

I'm afraid I'm not very good at hand-eye games. For example, though I've gotten 6 or 8 million in Super Collapse, I panic and choke too much. And my heart beats too fast. Old people should give up those kinds of games...
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

parabolize is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alneyan said:
It might be that Wine went down crashing on me.

I think wine created a bad plr file for you last turn. I remember Sivran saying wine was creating bad plr files for him. Once upon a time se4 worked OK in wine but it does seem to get worse with every release. Cedega also seems to be getting worse but its much better about having multiple versions installed. I have been using Cedega 5.1.2 and its pretty much flawless.

Anyhow I need another plr file for last turn from you. If you don't have the turn I attached it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 488471-alneyanvslynky_8.zip (31.9 KB, 130 views)
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

I think it may have been a problem with the mail transmission. MIME isn't so nice, and my mail provider has been pretty bad of late (I guess I'll have to dump them before long). So, I've uploaded my plr file instead: http://wispery.info/alneyanvslynky_0001.plr

If it is indeed recent Wine that's acting up, it shouldn't be too hard to fix up. I still have 0.9.12 on /usr/local, and symlinks would take care of incompatible .wine dirs, if required. If 0.9.12 complains... well, time for some CVS magic. I won't get within ten parsecs of Winex, though.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM

General

Well, ONE thing for sure, I'm not tough enough to be KotH

Glyn has stomped me again. It would have been faster if the map had been smaller (LOL). Actually, he did it with only 7 warships. It was an interesting game...well, till my ships kept showing how impotent they were...hehe.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM

General

Also, as I had mentioned some time back, the next time I rolled down the hill, I'd be ending my time in SE4.

It's been an enjoyable 4 years and I've met some interesting and smart game players.

Asmala taught me a few lessons and improved my play. And, my first KotH game was with the brutish Primative (a fast game...LOL).

Geo has helped the enjoyment factor X 10 with his style of play and handling the PBW server.

Then, there's Rex, Grand Master B, and Stone...other great players.

And Grandpa Kim who supported me with the 2 years I ran the Ratings site.

And weird? Gryphon. Hope he's doing OK.

And Parabolize, who I think has the potential to beat anyone and any given day. (well, except maybe for Glyn )

Finally, there's this guy who works for the CIA spying in France who is, perhaps, the sneakiest and most wicked of players: Alneyan.

And others who I have memories of both in games as well as life, like, for instance, Renegade 13.

I wish all of you at least one victory against Glyn or Alneyan (hehe). I wish all of you happiness in SE5. And, the same goes for life in general.

In closing...I say this here because I don't really remember either in a game...I enjoyed chatting here and there with Atrocities, Fyron, and Narf. And, as to the first two, great mods and shipsets!

I salute all of you and bid you farewell.

Slynky (Chuck)
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM

General

Come now, you cannot stop right after two defeats! You just *have* to win something before bowing out. Just ask Lincoln. Perhaps we shouldn't have fired so far, Glyn. You know, self-esteem and all that.

Yeah, I definitely have no ethics, honour, or anything of the like. I'm proud of that, even. I mean, who else prevents any reproduction in the whole Empire just so that all planets can be abandoned no matter what? Of course, that's not as mean as sentries, but.

Thanks to you too for the games and fun, and take care. Beware of the tattoos. Don't write sentences ending with a preposition lest you be laughed at. That sort of thing.

In related news, deadline for my own departure is six months. So, if anyone would just love to take care of SEIV KOTH, feel free to sign up. The Hill will be updated once Slynky manages to score a win against me - or tomorrow, whichever comes first.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

parabolize is on a distinguished road

It was great playing with both of you even if I won once in a blue moon.

I could take over se4 koth. That would make it easier to create a database. But don't expect support for your antiquated w3m.
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM

General

You do realiase w3m is the most popular browser, at least in Debian? Oh, that might be because it is installed by default.

I use emacs-w3m though, and don't worry about that. It can cut through most websites just fine, so long as they don't use Flash, Javascript and their ilk. I prefer ELinks myself, but that one doesn't run in Emacs.

Sure, if you can set up a quick SEIV db-powered variant, you should go ahead. This message was typed on Dillo, by the way, my favourite graphical browser... though I might fully switch to Epiphany. I'd like Closure, but that one just doesn't cut it for now.
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM

General

KOTH has been updated. The update was delayed because I swapped some people around.

Note that we are down to seven players, on par with our lowest record from last year. Uncle Jean wants YOU to join KOTH!
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

aegisx is on a distinguished road

Ill join for SEV...