Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Economy

Quote:

Memorandum
All Employee's
May 26th, 2009
Down Sizing Work Force

As the CEO of this organization, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama is now our President and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way. To compensate for these increases, our prices would have to increase by about 60%. But since we cannot increase our prices right now due to the dismal state of the economy, we will instead have to lay off sixteen of our employees.

This has really been bothering me, since I believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who would have to go. So, this is what I did. I walked through our parking lot and found sixteen 'Obama' bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the ones to let go. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. They voted for change, I gave it to them. I will see the rest of you at the annual company picnic.

Signed
Jebb O. Orcutt
CEO
Ha ha ha ha ROLFMAO!
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallw View Post
woops. You see that stuff I said about not thinking you had a job to lose. Sorry, I thought you were Atrocities. My dementia grows worse Funny thing is also that at the same time I had been thinking ''That Geo, I don't hear from him much since PBW closed''
If the economy keeps going the way its going, good news today though, then we might both be SOL. Cap and Trade has already forced several company's like Gundersons (Train car builder) to decide to close up shop and move to Mexico. How many more employers will get chased out of business or to another country with these proposed higher taxes, cap and trade, and new government oversight, and possible control?

I hope things improve, but fear they won't for a while. At least four to eight more years.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallw View Post
Strangely enough though I thought you were like me, a disabled pensioner.
Until I read further downthread that you'd been thinking of Atrocities, I thought you might be confusing Geo with me. I've passed the dubious milestone of having spent more than half of my life living on disability benefits.

Says up top that I haven't looked in here since 5/16, so this is the first I heard of Geo's job loss. (I only found out about the SEV v1.79 patch today, as well.) Hope you've already found another position by now.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the economy bottoms out before the mid-term elections in 2010 (next year already?!?), and starts to recover shortly before Obama's term ends.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

No, haven't found anything yet. I do have a couple interviews lined up so maybe something will turn up before too long.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Here's some advice, don't do at an interview what I did once. Back in 97/98 the state government here had a joint government/free enterprise job schemes to employ people to handle Y2K. I, and quite a few people I studied IT with, went to the interview and we had a test which I'd never encountered before. Questions such as if you are in a meeting with 2 clients and they get into an argument how will you peacefully resolve the problem. I have a tendency to get too comfortable, and the lady asking the questions face to face was being so nice. At the time my antisocial problems had not been addressed and I muttered the unforgettable line

"Oh they're so annoying. You just want to punch them in the face"

Afterwards when surprisingly I did not get the job I was informed that whereas my IT skills were excellent I needed to address my people skills . That was the story of my job efforts. I never could ace an interview.

PS. It turned out ok (for me) from what I heard later. The scheme collapsed and the people who did get the jobs ended up not getting paid. Last I heard.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

You'll know when the economy is recovering WHEN people start going "BACK TO WORK!!!" And I'm not talking about a job at Micky D's or Walmart!
Until businesses and government realize that only 'the working people' can restore an economy, we'll have to wait for them all to get off their high horses and admit that "people do come first!!!"

Every story I read about cutting back involves the people who need to make money to keep an econmy going. Cutting their pensions and benefits is always the answer to the politicians and businessmen. Where as all the politicians and judges pension plans are fully funded, the employess are always years behind in their funding. Businesses and governments will have to take a second seat in whats needed to pull out of this. We just don't have any leaders that are not driven by GREED...
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road

Or, in other words, "absolute power corrupts absolutely". or so I've heard.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

For me, the worst part of this economy isn't that I can't find a job, my job security is pretty strong.

It's that I can't fire the people costing the company the most money, resources, time. I'm hold a higher rank in the company, I just don't have "authoritah" to do it in my job description and all they do is endless grind the office work down to a halt with their laziness and gossip
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Well I found another job. I start on Monday. As painful as it was getting cut loose like that, I think it's going to end up being the best thing in the long run.
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

dumbluck is on a distinguished road

congratulations, Geo! Glad to hear that the economy hasn't left you completely destitute. So, did you buy a liquor store, as I suggested?