.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 23rd, 2019, 05:39 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: My first three maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailux View Post
Just starting with mapping but i really love it already, it's quite relaxing.

Did the following three last weekend mostly with some additional work over the week and today.

I tried to be somewhat accurate without going crazy on details. There is no elevation on this maps (well, most parts of Lower Saxony are kind of pretty flat anyways). I just recently discovered Venhola and how to use it, might just remake these three with elevation at some point.

Would love some constructive feedback: Glitches? What could have been made better? Maybe some technical mistakes i made or some special rules i missed being that mapping noob i am?

Brome-Boeckwitz
Map overview

Brome-Steimke
Map overview

Danndorf-Oebisfelde
Map overview

Wow. A lot of effort in such a short amount of time. Let me say thanks for getting into map making, we can always use maps. Although, I am the least able to comment on your maps, may I offer the following:

1) Place a few identifiers, i.e. landmarks, for example: highway 244, Ohre Lake.

Otherwise, do I understand you created these maps without Venhola? If so, stop whatever you're doing, get up to speed on Venhola as the next patch should be "magical." And, let me say I find it impressive the inclusion of spmap txt files!

The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:29 PM

Private

Kailux is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first three maps

Thanks for your feedback shahadi

I have to confess i play SP since 1997 or so but i've always been shut in playing the AI.
There's so many maps and scenarios that entertained me over all these years, i think it's time to step up and give a little bit back

So far, i took a screenshot of the map area and used Photoshops measuring tool on the 500m distance mark on the map (length in pixels).
Then just set the "grid overlay" option to that distance (and adding 10 sub divisions). Pretty straight forward, the result is the "topo" image i included for each map which i used as a reference.

But then i found out about Venhola, holy! Even easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
1) Place a few identifiers, i.e. landmarks, for example: highway 244, Ohre Lake.
I included some map text on town centers, rivers, roads and such, i placed some * along the (former) border, but for some reason just some or none show up on lowest zoom. On second lowest zoom they should show up.
If not, there's something else going wrong too.

These spmaptxt files are great. Stumbled upon this earlier today and loved the idea of giving some info on the region. Most of the time you load up a map and got no real clue where the heck this place is exactly I'm into this kind of gimmicks.

(To be honest, i would have loved to include some pictures of how it looks like in reality too but i am afraid that's way out of the scope of whats possible with spmaptxt. SpmapHTML would be awesome)
Old March 19th, 2020, 12:20 AM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Disk Odd Map Thread

Here i am going to post some of the odd maps i have created.

This one is first to enter the BETA state. I would appreciate some feedback on the map.

The spammed farm in the right side of map is something i might change, but it wont affect the gameplay much.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spmap458.zip (169.6 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by Isto; March 19th, 2020 at 12:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Isto For This Useful Post:
Old March 20th, 2020, 08:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Odd Map Thread

Well it's ok map in particular but it's bit too "symmetrical" for my taste. So it just seems to be "unnaturally unrealistic" (how many areas in world have almost identically located places, almost two "mirror images" near each other)... That farm area is only exception.

Warhero
Old March 20th, 2020, 08:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhero View Post
Well it's ok map in principle but it's bit too "symmetrical" for my taste. So it just seems to be "unnaturally unrealistic" (how many areas in world have almost identically located places, almost two "mirror images" near each other)... That farm area is only exception.

Warhero
edit. fixed wrong word in 1st sentence
Old March 20th, 2020, 09:04 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Nice map, the only odd part is the center of the map, like warhorse posted its a little too symmetrical. I like the left and the right sides of the map, those seem natural.

One thing to consider is to use a real location via the venhola tool, and then flip back and forth and paint the map (or section of it) per what it really looks like.

This is very time consuming, addictive, but very rewarding.

So far I have created around 30 venhola maps (not all of them use the full map size a few do and those take many hours to create).

For MBT I have a couple of scenarios like that coming up in the next patch that uses only a part of the venhola map (more for WW2) that you can see for some examples maybe.
Old March 20th, 2020, 11:49 AM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Disk Re: Odd Map Thread

I am creating different kind of maps. Symmetrical parts are just being artistic but the basic idea is to think of tactical perspective and how the map is played, realism is not part of my odd maps.

I have several others to come, one of them which is a Steel Panthers remake from old and legendary RTS map called "The Hunters".

Here is my first try on the map editor, i am just learning. Here is also a new version of that map above as i found some places to fix.

I might try more realistic approach in the future. Two other maps that are under production are "Canyon Wars" and "King of the Hill" but those are just at the concept state.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spmap437.zip (115.5 KB, 341 views)
File Type: zip spmap458.zip (169.4 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by Isto; March 20th, 2020 at 12:15 PM..
Old March 20th, 2020, 03:13 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MAPS!

Wow you really like patterns and wild designs in 437, shows your artistic side.
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:56 AM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MAPS! Devil's Bath

This map has some interesting features if anyone runs a battle with let me know how the AI does.

Devil's Bath, offers an interesting tactical level of control, how do you manuever across the map and not get a bath, that is the key.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Devil's Bath.rar (75.2 KB, 425 views)
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:05 AM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map From Karagin

This one has slight twist to it. The river bend allows for an interesting set of crossing for the AI or player depending on how the user sets things up.

I have run three battles with this map, and each time the AI has responded pretty well to the river course on the map.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Arigont.rar (95.1 KB, 417 views)