baggypants is on a distinguished road
Default repair/change unit effects *DELETED*

Post deleted by baggypants
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:08 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: repair/change unit effects

So long as some crew is left, experience gain continues.

Losses are by the whole element, not by crew. So you need to have a unit totaly destroyed (no crew surviving) to revert to the start of the experience ladder.

If a unit is badly damaged in a battle, it tends to be more difficult for that element to gain experience.

If you change a unit to another type it can lose a few experience points for retraining on the new equipment.

Cheers
Andy
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Private

Captain_Insano is on a distinguished road

I think it would be better if, for example, you have a 100 experience 12 man section that takes 6 casualties and the base experience for your forces is 70 that the new experience for that section should be 85 - averaging the difference. That would allow for some more roleplaying. I realize there is probably a way to edit that manually if it bothered me that much but just my 2 cents. By the way I usually take 2 infantry companies + and a platoon of engineers in my core. It bugs me most with the infantry units but the idea could be applicable to any unit that has its number of men reduced by damage. I say that because a vehicle can take "damage" points without actually losing any men.
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Already covered by the fact that a heavily damaged unit (50% damage or more) is less likely to improve in experience at end of game, and may also in fact slide back a couple of points.

Cheers
Andy
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Wow! Every day I learn sth new, haven't noticed this... That's great!
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Private

Nick_Hyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mobhack said:

If you change a unit to another type it can lose a few experience points for retraining on the new equipment.

Cheers
Andy
In my experience it seems - I'll stress that again, in MY experience, it SEEMS - that whenever I change/upgrade a unit in a campaign, it loses a uniform and predictable five points of experience.

Which is quite reasonable, just saying I'm not sure there's any "it CAN lose a FEW" involved - it seems to be that it WILL lose FIVE points.

At one point I think I actually tested that, but it wasn't on the current version, so I'm not positive that my statement is still accurate.

This leads to one of my Evil Sleazy campaign tactics - whenever I'm in a point where I'm pretty sure I have more points in the bank than I need, I deliberately swap my non-combat units - mainly transports - around just to knock down their experience. In other words turn a truck into a wagon (or whatever) and back again, bang, it loses ten experience points.

Doing that three or four times can cut the experience of your transports in half - which can cut their cost in half, which reduces the "size" of your core, which makes life easier in regard to how big the AI force is.

It's like buying cheap crappy allied support units instead of expensive good ones, but long term.

Of course the downsides are that a smaller point core gets less repair points, and IF those units do wind up seeing combat, they're not very damn good at it. Both of those are fine with me - I actually like it that way - but that's a personal style of play thing. I like doing it with armored infantry - I tend not to use my vulnerable APCs as direct support but as fast movers to exploit.

Nick