BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 23rd, 2018, 02:46 AM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Something to maybe look at

Something I've been meaning to mention for awhile now has to do with the Opfire On Turn and Mines buttons in the Preferences menu. The Opfire button seems to have no effect. Whether it is on or off a unit will still sometimes draw fire when changing facing (I would provide a savegame but it doesn't happen all the time so it's hard to nail down but it does happen).

Another issue is for the mine button. Whether it is on or off I know that a player can still buy mines, however when the button is switched to off the mines do not explode when a unit moves into the hex. A unit will still suffer a movement penalty for moving into the mined hex but will not go up in smoke. Is this intentional? The manual does say "MINES
If this is set to OFF then mines will be disabled. If set to ON then Mines will behave normally." So, by that I'm guessing that it's working as designed so it's not an issue playing another human but the computer player still seems to buy mines even when the button is switched off.

Anyways, just thought I'd get all that out there.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 07:19 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Something to maybe look at

Yes the mines are still bought but as you noted they will not explode when the setting is OFF and AKAIK that has been like that since SP1 and again....AKAIK you are the first person to question it so in this case that is normal game behaviour. The intent of the button was to render mines harmless and could be used when playing a scenario if the player found mines a hinderance so it was never intended ( AFAIK.,.. ) to shut off the AI's mine buying in a generated battle/ campaign

OPfire we will look into to double check but the game guide does say...."Units which manually turn to face a new hex may now draw enemy opfire if this setting is ON. This affects both infantry and vehicles at different ranges and there are random variables that make it unpredictable. In hex infantry movement could possibly attract opfire from enemy units up to 3 -5 .

I just ran a test with infantry units within two -three hexes of one another and with opfire on turn ON there was opfire when I spun around in the hex but not on every turn in hex that I made and that is normal as described in the GG....when I turned the control to OFF there was no opfire no matter how many spins I did in hex so it does seem to be working as we said it would.

Testing was done on a flat map, no terrain aside from low grass with visibility set to 70 and as I said, infantry units within two -three hexes of one another

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; October 23rd, 2018 at 09:51 AM..
Old October 23rd, 2018, 01:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Was it somebody who had been shot at that returned fire?

If a unit is fired upon, its opfire filter is changed to the range of the nasty enemy unit that fired on it plus 1 hex, otherwise your units would sit dumb to any shooting at it and probably die. So if shot at, opfire filters all expand to the firers range (and armour class etc, for the CD full opfire filtering).

If you shoot a unit with filters applied - the same rule applies. Otherwise the unit would refuse to fire and end users might complain about that, or having to be told to individually turn off filtering if they wanted to fire the unit(s) in question individually.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 08:33 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Thank you DRG for clarifying the mines for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Was it somebody who had been shot at that returned fire?

If a unit is fired upon, its opfire filter is changed to the range of the nasty enemy unit that fired on it plus 1 hex, otherwise your units would sit dumb to any shooting at it and probably die. So if shot at, opfire filters all expand to the firers range (and armour class etc, for the CD full opfire filtering).

If you shoot a unit with filters applied - the same rule applies. Otherwise the unit would refuse to fire and end users might complain about that, or having to be told to individually turn off filtering if they wanted to fire the unit(s) in question individually.
It wasn't return fire, it was taking fire from a unit after changing facing.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 11:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

It took fire so it adjusted its opfire filters so as to allow itself to fire back. A targeted unit will not sit dumbly and let itself be murdered. Which is what I said above.