.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Private

KingTiger is on a distinguished road
Default Deployment in scen. via a user campaign.......

My question is this...How would one go about creating scenarios, for a user campaign, where the AI buys his troops from scenario to scenario? I understand that for the player, theres no need, as the units will be removed anyway. Basically, i want to make it so its like a generated campaign, except with the maps i have made(without having to load a map every battle, using the default generator)
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:55 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Deployment in scen. via a user campaign.......

Quote:
KingTiger said:
My question is this...How would one go about creating scenarios, for a user campaign, where the AI buys his troops from scenario to scenario? I understand that for the player, theres no need, as the units will be removed anyway. Basically, i want to make it so its like a generated campaign, except with the maps i have made(without having to load a map every battle, using the default generator)
The AI does not buy troops in a UC - it is a linked list of scenarios with the AI troops placed by a human.

To get the AI to buy - then as you say, play a generated campaign, not a UC. To use your own maps - use the "load a custom map" function in the view map screen as usual, and then spin the V-hexes to get what you desire, as usual. The AI will deploy by itself on these maps as for a normal game.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Private

Andy,

Ok, i was afraid of this. I suppose its no problem then, as the AI tends to buy crap it doesnt necessarily need anyway. Now if i insert the AI's troops for it, and say, put them at the back of the map(right or left) like it does for human when u start a battle. WIll it still deploy them like it does in a generated campaign? Or do i have to also place them where i think they should go?(hence theres no suprise for me, knowing where the AI is going to be)
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road

King Tiger,

You can purchase units for the AI while in the scenario editor, and then hit the 'auto' button benieth 'purchase' and 'deploy'. The computer will then automatically deploy those forces for you. You then save the scenario, and then load the saved scenario into a 'user camapaign'.

You can actually build the campaign as you go - you do not need to build all the battles first.

This is how i play campaigns, although i usually have a real person deploy the AI forces for me. If it is a simple, straight forward scenario (like a massive assault by the Russians), i can have my 15 year old son deploy against me. He just hits 'auto' until he gets a set up he likes. He'll also often purchase a few extra enemy units, so i don't know exactly what i'm up against (he does unrealistic things with this sometime, as his concept of wargaming is more command&conquor).

If it is a more complex setup, or the AI is delaying/defending, i usually look for someone to set up for me. The computer AI is so much better than it used to be, but it still does things like placing ATGM in the middle of woods, with no LOS. I'd be happy to do a few setups for you if you like, i enjoy that almost as much as playing.

AB
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Private

AB,

Yeah, the problem with auto deploying while in scenario editor mode is, i will still roughly know where there gonna be at turn 1. I tried this, and each time i auto deployed, it literally showed me where they were being placed. So, i guess what im trying to accomplish is, setting them up in the back of the map, and the AI auto deploying them(like in a generated campaign) before turn 1 begins. Is this possible? (ANYONE)??

KingTiger
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:36 AM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road

Well, you can hit auto deploy, but have the monitor covered except for the exit button (with a sheet of paper), so you don't see the deploy.

As i said, it works quite well if the computer is moving - because the AI is quite good in arranging its units for an assault - at least if it is army with poor tactics (like Iraq or or soviets in early WWII). I definately prefer to have a person set the AI up in defense or delay situations.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:09 PM

Private

Ok that seems to be my only option(no problemo)

My next question is off that topic, but is still relevant to this Campaign. I have made my first map, and have set up my Campaign(text and first battle points,etc.)for first battle. However I have run into a dilemma upon testing it out. When i buy my Core, then buy support troops. I look at map, and check the mission. The problem is, there nothing listed for the mission(its a Defend) I saved the Scenario as an Assault/Defend(Player 2-AI, Assauling Player 1-Human)What could be causing this??? Shouldnt the mission list the - sides involved(which it does)- battle location(which it does)- date(which it does)- and mission(WHICH IT DOESNT)

Any suggestions??

KingTiger
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
KingTiger said:
Ok that seems to be my only option(no problemo)

My next question is off that topic, but is still relevant to this Campaign. I have made my first map, and have set up my Campaign(text and first battle points,etc.)for first battle. However I have run into a dilemma upon testing it out. When i buy my Core, then buy support troops. I look at map, and check the mission. The problem is, there nothing listed for the mission(its a Defend) I saved the Scenario as an Assault/Defend(Player 2-AI, Assauling Player 1-Human)What could be causing this??? Shouldnt the mission list the - sides involved(which it does)- battle location(which it does)- date(which it does)- and mission(WHICH IT DOESNT)

Any suggestions??

KingTiger
You are given the "mission" button on the support troops purchase screen. You can also tell the player up front in the mission briefing text. When you get to deployment screen you are assumed to know what mission you are playing and have bought appropriate support for, plus perhaps mine points, if you were defending.

purchase->deploy is seen as one operation.

About the only time I could see that as any sort of problem is if you purchased and saved at the deploy point then left the game for a few weeks perhaps ?. However - there are still clues if you open up such a game (V-hex positions, ability to dig in or deploy mines etc, the fact you bought engineers and so on).

But basically - what you want is on the [/b]Mission[/b]button of the purchase screen.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Private

Andy,

I think you misunderstood me. I know where the mission button is located(at purchase screen). My point was, when i go into this certain scenario to test it out, it says NOTHING for TYPE of mission. All the other stats are there(date,location,sides,etc...jus no TYPE of mission/battle)
However after a lil more extensive testing, i have noticed for the Human side(the side im talking about)it does this, BUT, for the Computer side, it says River Crossing. Now this makes NOOO sense, seeing as the scenario is set up as a defend scenario with the AI assaulting. I do have a stream in the map, but its NOT a wide river. Also, another probelm i see is, after the AI takes most of the VP's and, at the end of the game(view map)80% of his Army is all jammed up in the top-left hand corner(odd to me). One more thing, i find strange... First turn of the AI's move, 1 of his helicopters takes evasive action, and exits map. Now you may think, "well what units do u have on the map, to cause him to do this?" The ONLY unit on the map for Player 1(human) is the Headqtrs, and he's waaay outta range. I only have the Hdqtrs. on the map, just to keep ending turns, to make sure AI is actually assaulting.

Any thoughts???

KingTiger
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
KingTiger said:
Andy,

I think you misunderstood me. I know where the mission button is located(at purchase screen). My point was, when i go into this certain scenario to test it out, it says NOTHING for TYPE of mission. All the other stats are there(date,location,sides,etc...jus no TYPE of mission/battle)
However after a lil more extensive testing, i have noticed for the Human side(the side im talking about)it does this, BUT, for the Computer side, it says River Crossing. Now this makes NOOO sense, seeing as the scenario is set up as a defend scenario with the AI assaulting. I do have a stream in the map, but its NOT a wide river. Also, another probelm i see is, after the AI takes most of the VP's and, at the end of the game(view map)80% of his Army is all jammed up in the top-left hand corner(odd to me). One more thing, i find strange... First turn of the AI's move, 1 of his helicopters takes evasive action, and exits map. Now you may think, "well what units do u have on the map, to cause him to do this?" The ONLY unit on the map for Player 1(human) is the Headqtrs, and he's waaay outta range. I only have the Hdqtrs. on the map, just to keep ending turns, to make sure AI is actually assaulting.

Any thoughts???

KingTiger

I would highly suggest you toss out everything you've done so far, write it off as a test and start over becasue from your discription of the problems you are having there seems to be a cascade effect on the whole scearnio. The ONLY way I have ever seen a map report as being a "River Crossing" is if it's told to be a river crossing. Did you save this as an autogenerated map in the battle generator then open it up and edit it in the sceanrio editor?

Attach this scenario with your next post and I'll look at it when we get some time. Maybe I can spot what you've done

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....