.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM

Private

meKanicalj3sus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peculiar Planets Version 0.5. - Finally Here!

Wow just discovered that ‘fighter bay’ drones are controllable!! By far the best implemented use of that system I’ve seen.. Excellent Garthan & Mutikan ‘heavy carriers’. New race models look great especially the ‘Trans’luvians’ & the ‘Redation’ heavy weapon rocks!

Getting that crash now & then.. I think the only races I haven’t come across are the ‘Tchorak & ‘Musthar’ after bout’ 10 large map games (only got back to Hope twice with a measly 18-19000 score lol) no slowdown here also.. ‘Super impressive overall!!

'i like to re-hydrate whilst i de-hydrate*'
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road

Sounds good! I hope to fit in a few games today, and add to your feedback soon.

I can easily imagine how something based on the mass driver can slow the game down. My "microparticulate duster" in Drives'R'Us sometimes has that problem.

As for the crashes, this link might be helpful for figuring out what's causing them:
http://weirdworldsmods.wikidot.com/s...es-during-game
That covers most of the things I know can cause a crash, along with symptoms and solutions. If it turns out it's not one of the causes listed (or linked to from) there, please feel welcome to add your eventual solution to the wiki. (Password is "shrapnel and eel")
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:20 PM

Private

Black_Bear is on a distinguished road

Great!!!
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:36 PM

Sergeant

Just a heads up -

There may be a problem with the Zorg Fighter Bay. I got it, and it failed to launch any fighters at all when I was fighting the Tchorak. Then I died, so I couldn't really test it again.

I had the Aspian Fighter Bay in the very next game, though, and it worked fine, so I don't think the problem was user error on my end.

I glanced at your code, and didn't see anything immediately wrong with it. As near as I can tell, it should be working. Don't know if it's worth extensive debugging that this time, but we might want to keep an eye open to see if it happens again.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM

Corporal

Alphasite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgqwonkian View Post
Just a heads up -

There may be a problem with the Zorg Fighter Bay. I got it, and it failed to launch any fighters at all when I was fighting the Tchorak. Then I died, so I couldn't really test it again.
I had the Zorg fighter bay and had the same problem. I was running from the CLI and had hundreds of these lines:

ERROR: launchfighter: unknown race Zorg

That might help track down the problem.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:48 PM

Private

Lord_Vader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meKanicalj3sus View Post
Wow just discovered that ‘fighter bay’ drones are controllable!! By far the best implemented use of that system I’ve seen.. Excellent Garthan & Mutikan ‘heavy carriers’. New race models look great especially the ‘Trans’luvians’ & the ‘Redation’ heavy weapon rocks!

Getting that crash now & then.. I think the only races I haven’t come across are the ‘Tchorak & ‘Musthar’ after bout’ 10 large map games (only got back to Hope twice with a measly 18-19000 score lol) no slowdown here also.. ‘Super impressive overall!!
Thanks! The Heavy Carriers definitely give the Garthans some more punch, but then again, if you have the Military Battleship then those fighters can come in real handy.

The Redation weapon packs a punch but is very easy to dodge, even for a slow frigate.

Watch out for the Tchorak Volcano Home.

Quote:
Sounds good! I hope to fit in a few games today, and add to your feedback soon.

I can easily imagine how something based on the mass driver can slow the game down. My "microparticulate duster" in Drives'R'Us sometimes has that problem.

As for the crashes, this link might be helpful for figuring out what's causing them:
http://weirdworldsmods.wikidot.com/s...es-during-game
That covers most of the things I know can cause a crash, along with symptoms and solutions. If it turns out it's not one of the causes listed (or linked to from) there, please feel welcome to add your eventual solution to the wiki. (Password is "shrapnel and eel")
The comet hose works fine, it was a modified experimental weapon (using many more mass driver particles and adding in missile characteristics), now removed, which was causing the problems.

As for the crash, I've been looking for the reason for a few months now. It seems to be quest-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Bear View Post
Great!!!

Quote:
Just a heads up -

I had the Aspian Fighter Bay in the very next game, though, and it worked fine, so I don't think the problem was user error on my end.

I glanced at your code, and didn't see anything immediately wrong with it. As near as I can tell, it should be working. Don't know if it's worth extensive debugging that this time, but we might want to keep an eye open to see if it happens again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
Quote:
Just a heads up -

I had the Zorg fighter bay and had the same problem. I was running from the CLI and had hundreds of these lines:

Hmmm, I'll look into it. There may be some small unnoticeable error somewhere, like a typo or something.

The Aspian fighters are really good for draining your enemies' HP. They die easily but their comet hoses are positively lethal.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys!
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vader View Post
As for the crash, I've been looking for the reason for a few months now. It seems to be quest-related.
Sounds like a GFXP problem. Double-check the GFXP line of every page of all your quests. Did you make any custom planets or stars? They can also have problems with GFXP. Or, if the quest generates a specific item, it could be the GFXP line of that item. I swear that line is the cause of 90% of all crashes.

P.S.: My earlier post's link to the wiki may have been to a too-specific page now that I think about it. Might be better to start at http://weirdworldsmods.wikidot.com/bugs instead, and just follow links as you manage to rule things out.

Last edited by sgqwonkian; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Trying to be more helpful.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm, I'll look into it. There may be some small unnoticeable error somewhere, like a typo or something.

I wonder if it's case sensitive. Perhaps just changing "Zorg" to "zorg" inside the fb_ file will fix it.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM

Corporal

Alphasite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just a heads up -

The Aspian fighters are really good for draining your enemies' HP. They die easily but their comet hoses are positively lethal.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys!
I found the problem. In the file fb_fighterbayzorg.ini there's an extra space after "Zorg" in the STR0 line. I took it out and now I get Zorg fighters.
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM

Private

The Box is on a distinguished road

The fickle formatting of Weird Worlds...

Well, I've played a few more games with the mod, and some of those enemies are armed to the teeth. Still enjoying it, but: should I be able to use the heat bubble shield and another shield at the same time? And there was something else minor, but I've forgotten it now.

Anyway, I'm off to kill some Aspians...

(almost left out the "p" there, which would have looked awfully racist)