.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old August 14th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Homeworld randomization is 90% likely a no-go

To create randomness in the game, I thought of creating multiple copies of Hope, with their own Hope class, that quests would react to differently, allowing me to effectively randomize incidents in the game.

Experimentation seems to make this a no-go, though. When the homeworld for a race is not a single planet type, like Hope, Gartha, Urlu, or the others, it results in bizarre and largely unpredictable effects; you get a variety of planets, probably the ones that might normally go with that star, and even the possibility of getting no planet at all.

In short, although I haven't extensively tested it, and someone like sqqwonkian would be better-suited to prove it, it seems that using this method to randomize events in the game is impossible. If this is true, it leaves our randomization options to that described in this topic: Request: some randomness

- Bob
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Homeworld randomization is 90% likely a no-go

It is possible that creating an extra star type, which normally spawns the type of planet I described, might work. I thought of this idea, unfortunately, after I had already undone the work I did (because I made the mistake of making these mods directly to the main Odd Adventures development version, I needed to undo them quickly after it became obvious it wouldn't work, lest I slow down mod work).

Anyway, that's the only idea I can see that might salvage this method of randomization.
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Homeworld randomization is 90% likely a no-go

Further research seems to indicate that elegant homeworld randomization is impossible. I didn't add in extra star names, or change the CLAS of the special Glory star I created from yellow, but that would've looked sloppy in code anyway.

I wish WW had a randomization function. There's so many things that conspire to make it impossible for elegant randomization that it's infuriating. And unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be a patch to help in this aspect of mod design.

Randomization is critical to get Muktian variable relations to the advanced state that I desired. If it can't be done, then it might be better to give up on variable relations entirely and work on either learning how to do graphics, or finding someone else who can, so that parallel races can be made.