BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Closed Thread

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Could some nuclear weapons be simulated in WinSPMBT?

Obviously I'm not talking about strategic ICBMs, but what about smaller ones like the Davy Crockett RR or the nuclear shells fired by the 8 incher?
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Could some nuclear weapons be simulated in WinSPMBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Obviously I'm not talking about strategic ICBMs, but what about smaller ones like the Davy Crockett RR or the nuclear shells fired by the 8 incher?
Not really.
I've been trying for some time to simulate a Daisy Cutter and can't get anything particularly close. And for game purposes the blast damage is what would really matter.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:19 PM

Private

chrissandvick is on a distinguished road

Seems a bit overkill for a tactical game. But you could just set the 220mm FAE RkT to an insanely high penetration and kill value and put it on a custom unit using Mobhack.
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:44 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Ha read about years ago & no chance, if I remember both are actually pretty rubbsh as explosives due to only just managng critical mass they relied on being a bit dirty & the radiation doing the killing.
The explosive element is probably modelable affecting 3-5 hexes across but what about the radiation.
Anyone not in a hard target wthin 10 hexes of should die the next turn.
Those say 11-15 hexes away should suffer big moral issues to represent nasseau & die in say 3-5 turns
16-20 hexes similar but not so bad etc.

Also seem to remember they were wildly inacurate & laughably because it never occured to anyone unless the wind was blowing in the right direction the firer was toast as he was within range of the radiation.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:54 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Nuclear and chemical weapons are completely outside the scope of the game engine.

Andy
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

My immediate thought on this was press end turn and just as the modified "nuclear" artillery started to fall pull the plug on your computer.

That would simulate the effects perfectly.

Don
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post

Also seem to remember they were wildly inacurate & laughably because it never occured to anyone unless the wind was blowing in the right direction the firer was toast as he was within range of the radiation.

That fits perfectly with the whole M.A.D concept doesn't it ? Though admittedly it's harder on the PBI than the theorists. ( but it always is )

If the other guy thinks like a chess player he will never really understand what a poker player is up to.

Don
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Ha read about years ago & no chance, if I remember both are actually pretty rubbsh as explosives due to only just managng critical mass they relied on being a bit dirty & the radiation doing the killing.
The explosive element is probably modelable affecting 3-5 hexes across but what about the radiation.
Anyone not in a hard target wthin 10 hexes of should die the next turn.
Those say 11-15 hexes away should suffer big moral issues to represent nasseau & die in say 3-5 turns
16-20 hexes similar but not so bad etc.

Actually for purposes of a tactical game the radiation effects are negligible.
If you're close enough to, and unprotected from, radiation effects enough to take 10,000 rads (enough to kill you in minutes) the blast and thermal radiation (heat) will have turned you into paste or one of those famous shadows on the wall long before radiation poisoning is an issue.
3000 rads will kill you in about 48 hours, but WinSPMBT battles don't last that long.
As to the psychological effects on troops, it's really a matter of how well informed and trained they are. If they're prone to panic from a nuclear blast they're just as likely to panic from getting nailed by a B-52 ArcLite or a battery of TOS-1 Buratino's.

All that said, I agree with Don...but I'd press the "off" switch on my computer rather then the "end turn" one.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

No nuclear weapons god forbid of any kind in this game ever please.
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:06 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Could some nuclear weapons be simulated in WinSPMBT?

The Neutron Bomb was the only modern era and I believe last tactical nuke we considered. It was determined that though it was very effective in not causing damage to infrastructure especially in an urban setting and very deadly to enemy soldiers the problem was you would've had highly motivated troops in undamaged equipment running around with nothing to lose at least not for about 14-30 days depending on distance from the blast area. The 8 inch versions tested in the mid to late fifties would wipe out most standard maps in game use and forget about your core units moving on to gain further experience in your next battle in a campaign-they'd be dead by then. There are numerous pictures on the web of USA troops within about 10 miles of those artillery delivered nukes going off in Nevada or New Mexico. The long term outcome was not very good for most of them. I believe a major settlement was reached with the survivors in the early eighties I think. I'm glad we never went there from the air, ground or sea.

Regards,
Pat
Closed Thread