.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bug thread

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Fish.gif[/img][b] Not really a bug, but there is some old, DomII info lying around. The spell Sermon of Courage has an outdated and untrue description.

=$=
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
Custom Maps do not display properly.

I made a Hyborian Age map with 108 provinces and a .tga file that is 20 mb in size. This displays beautifully in Dominions 2, but when moved to Dominions 3 it shows all the provinces as points on a blank background.

It appears equally invisible in the map editor and the game itself. But the same .tga loads up fine in Dominions 2 both in the map editor and the game.

-Frank
Can you attach that map here so we can see why it doesn't work?
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Maybe bug, maybe WAD: National heroes' holy magic have not all been reduced by the same -1 applied to regular priests. Ex: Alcastor is still a level 4 priest for LA Ermor.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Daynarr said:
Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
Custom Maps do not display properly.

I made a Hyborian Age map with 108 provinces and a .tga file that is 20 mb in size. This displays beautifully in Dominions 2, but when moved to Dominions 3 it shows all the provinces as points on a blank background.

It appears equally invisible in the map editor and the game itself. But the same .tga loads up fine in Dominions 2 both in the map editor and the game.

-Frank
Can you attach that map here so we can see why it doesn't work?
I've been puttering around with it quite a bit. And it shows the same problem on a lot of maps that Dominions 2 eats up just fine. Here's the old favorite "Kingdoms of Karan" which is flat not displayed by the map editor or the game itself. I'm putting it up because the graphics file is a lot smaller than the Hyboria one and it seems kinder to do it this way.

-Frank
Attached Files
File Type: zip 454009-karan.zip (3.79 MB, 502 views)
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:30 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] Resources hold-over not functioning properly.

Example: If a province is producing 100 resources and I queue up units worth 105 resource points, to show -5 resource remaining, the next turn, I should have 95 resources remaining. Let's say the last unit in the queue costs 10 resources. The next turn, that unit will be queued up, and I will only have 90 resources available, as if none of the previous turn's excess resources were put to use.

=$= Big J Money =$=
The display doesn't change to tell you that you have already "paid" 5 Resource to that first unit, but I believe the count is right, and in the situation you describe, if you queue an additional 95 resources worth of units, they will all be produced on that turn. At least, that was true in Dom2.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Private

Resok is on a distinguished road

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] Early Age Abysia's attempt to construct 'Cave Castle' in certain map squares but instead builds 'Simple Hillfort' even after paying the added cost.

Example: The provinces Muspel (441) and Silver Fangs (460) in the Glory of the Gods map appear to be valid places I can build a 'Cave Castle'. The tooltips indicate that a Cave Castle costs 1400 gold, 30 admin, 600 defense, 150 supplies and 6 monthes to build. I pay the 1400 gold, wait the 6 monthes and am rewarded with a 'Simple Hillfort' - 800 cost, 5 admin, 150 defense, 100 supply, 3 time to build.

In no province have I gotten 'Simple Hillfort' as an option for building. Again this is Early Age Abysia (Children of Flame) on the map Glory of the Gods. Hope this can be resolved as this is a considerable irritation to try to build one thing paying the full cost, and end up with something vastly inferior. If it matters at all, my Prophet (a Warlord) built the fort and I was attacked several times while building it (though never losing any commanders).

Resok
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:01 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Resok said:[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img] Early Age Abysia's attempt to construct 'Cave Castle' in certain map squares but instead builds 'Simple Hillfort' even after paying the added cost.

Example: The provinces Muspel (441) and Silver Fangs (460) in the Glory of the Gods map appear to be valid places I can build a 'Cave Castle'. The tooltips indicate that a Cave Castle costs 1400 gold, 30 admin, 600 defense, 150 supplies and 6 monthes to build. I pay the 1400 gold, wait the 6 monthes and am rewarded with a 'Simple Hillfort' - 800 cost, 5 admin, 150 defense, 100 supply, 3 time to build.
Both terrains seem to be mountains.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FrankTrollman said:
I've been puttering around with it quite a bit. And it shows the same problem on a lot of maps that Dominions 2 eats up just fine. Here's the old favorite "Kingdoms of Karan" which is flat not displayed by the map editor or the game itself. I'm putting it up because the graphics file is a lot smaller than the Hyboria one and it seems kinder to do it this way.

-Frank
Ok, first of I used Gimp as it's free. When gimp tries to load Karan.tga you see this:

As you can see, Gimp has problems with this file too.
After messing a bit with it I went to change its color levels. Why? The file is 32bit and recommended is 24bit. That means no alpha channels. This file has alpha channels, so I went to check them out.

Then I reversed output levels for alpha channels ...

As you can see in the background of the picture, map normalized. When I saved it loaded normally in Dom3.

Important thing to remember is; when choosing colors chose 24 bit instead of 32 bit. Difference is in alpha channels and that is exactly what was causing problems.

I assume that is the problem with your map as well.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Private

Resok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
Both terrains seem to be mountains.
That's correct. I'd like to add that there is a new mountain type also: Border Mountains (low income, excellent resources) as opposed to Mountains (low income, excellent resources, hinders movement). Border mountain forts are 'Fortification', which build correctly. However 'Mountain' forts indicate they'll be built as Cave Castles but are instead built as 'Simple Hillfort's while still costing 1400 gold.

Resok
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Daynarr said:
As you can see, Gimp has problems with this file too.
After messing a bit with it I went to change its color levels. Why? The file is 32bit and recommended is 24bit. That means no alpha channels. This file has alpha channels, so I went to check them out.
Best thing 'bout this is - Dom3 actually supports alpha channel - in contrast to Dom2, which simply ignores it. Look here - this is the Karan map loaded into the Dom3 map editor:

But the karan.tga has the alpha-channel set to "0", as you can see from the Gimp screenshot .. "alpha 0" means 0% color coverage .. nothing to be seen, other than the background shining through and the province flags etc.

Set alpha to 100% or use 24-bit colors, as Daynarr said.

Attached Images
File Type: png 454104-karan_transparent.png (201.6 KB, 522 views)