.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this forum really as busy as it claims?

I was unaware that us humans are capable of pure rational discourse and logical progression (Flukes and outliers excepted), I think its the nuts (or equivalent).

Thanks for the links, I got into Dom3 from OO forum myself and it's a good crowd.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
I am a member of the tuna-eating faction and I strongly oppose all those from the non-tuna-eating faction!
Good good lch, I'm a life-long member of the "sod the stupid dolphins, I want my lovely tuna" club myself, so happy to hear you're a member too
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ive actually been leery of mentioning other forums here.

But Ive been a member of QuartertoThree for possibly longer than Ive been here. And it was long the only place that you could get into Dom3 games with Shrapnel staff and Illwinter developers (not so much anymore though so dont go chrging there hoping for that)

Im also a proud Goon on SomethingAwful. Their forum, irc, and Dom3 tracker server are excellent examples of how things once were and hopefully could be here.

There are also a number of non-english forums (swedish, french, and italian come to mind) that I get hosting requests from. And a number of people on UseNet such as comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic or groups.google and groups.yahoo. Altho it might not seem so here, my server has never been busier. I have over 100 games running at the same time fairly often now and have begun hitting limits again on the number of mods, maps, games that Dom3 can "see".

Its been hard to not mention other forums and chats. Particularly in light of discussions about how Dom3 is "always played" and how games "always progress" or the "de facto standards" for how things are done. Saying "you mean on this forum" always generated a request for the other forums which I was enjoying too much to mention But since they are mentioned anyway I will chime up and hope that my name alone no longer generates extra interest..
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

The only reason I stay on these forums and keep my guides on these forums are because I think Illwinter are great folks who deserve my hardwork and money. I do not care for shrapnel's latest PR botch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KissBlade For This Useful Post:
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

I was a lurker for a (somewhat short) while before I made a membership. Even now, I usually just read what's going on more than post, and the only reason I made a membership is that I had a handful of questions. I have a group of 6 friends, and we do "Friends only" games with the six of us, that are a lot of fun. This is why I started lurking, because I was looking for some information (Actually, I had played Marignon on a "random" SP game and couldn't remember their name and wanted to play around with them more. This also happened to me with Agartha). I think a lot of people lurk for the guides or the intricacies of rules.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiousChaos View Post
Every time I visit this forum, even today, the forum shows a lot of people that are currently actively visiting. Yesterday it showed 100 viewers, this morning 93.

For a game that has been out for years and years, that's remarkable. Of course, I've been playing for years and keep coming back to the game, so maybe that makes sense.
There's a number of reasons why the forums are still active... the main reason is multiplayer followed by modding, random map generations, lots of game content and of course intense game depth/strategy. When viewing other successful singleplayer only games such as Galactic Civilizations 2 the forums are scary silent. For the record I play both singleplayer and multiplayer games.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:36 AM

Sergeant

Ferrosol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
I am a member of the tuna-eating faction and I strongly oppose all those from the non-tuna-eating faction!
Good good lch, I'm a life-long member of the "sod the stupid dolphins, I want my lovely tuna" club myself, so happy to hear you're a member too
Anything is acceptable as long as it keeps me in Tuna Sandwiches. Although I plan to launch a jihad on those heretics who mix it with mayonnaise, lousy traitors desecrating good tuna...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ferrosol For This Useful Post: