.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default \'tribal\' inspired nation

Why is their no tribal/native/indigenous animistic inspired nation?

Mictlan may be the closest thing, but they are obviously based on the advanced horticultural societies of S. and C. America. Gods of this time were beginning to move into the temples.

LA Atlantis also begins to touch upon a native type society, the Inuits. But they were a cold clime-maritime culture that required more rationalization of life than fits with a purely animistic culture.

There is no truly animistic culture represented among the Dom3 nations. One that would have a hunter/gather subsistence mode. There is _no way_ such a nation, in real life, could compete; which may lead to the ignoring of this flavor of cultural inspiration. But this is a _fantasy_ game after all; and besides Inuit/Northern American/Northern East Asian (LA Atlantis) weren't exactly doing any type of 4X activity.

I'd like to see an animistic culture; based perhaps off of Triobrand, New Guinea, or another S. Pacific Islander.

D&D released a 'barbarians handbook' with such an Islander inspired savage that used mostly crude daggers and spears, but had the ability to infuse their weapons with magic (by burying them in the sand for a period of time, no less). No missle weapons besides maybe the 'harpoon' or 'throwable spear', since nothing like a bow or sling would ever be required on a small island environment. Totem animals were octopi, lobster, or shallow water/coral reef inhabitants. A required coastal province starting position would be appropriate too. Water and nature magic, possible astral. Early age probably best time period.

Idiosyncrasies of Jungle tribes like Yanomamo are already touched upon by Mictlan. Temperate climate tribes like native N. Americans are a possibility, but their image has already been too distorted by popular culture and encroachment; there is to much temptation to give them 'horse tribe' type cavalry, when in fact they naturally never had such a thing.

Islander or native animistic African tribes seems like the best option for developing a mod nation like this.

With a bit of research and imagination, a great mod nation could be developed that touches upon a completely ignored, within Dom3 (and in real life too, to be honest) part of the human historical situation
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \'tribal\' inspired nation

Machaka (MA) is pretty close.
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Corporal

Maraxus is on a distinguished road

Mictlans are Maja/Aztecs
Machakas are Zulu
Some Independants are North American Tribals.
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amhazair is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out the Haida Gwaii mod. (go to the mods forum, and the stickied mod list, and look for Haida Gwaii among the EA nations. ) I never played it myself, but from reading the nation thread it looks to be exactly what you're looking for.
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
With a bit of research and imagination, a great mod nation could be developed that touches upon a completely ignored, within Dom3 (and in real life too, to be honest) part of the human historical situation
I look forward to a great mod from you
Here's a couple of tips though:
1) Use the modding manual in the /doc folder in your dominions3 directory.
2) I don't remember where, but somewhere in this forum there is a file that contains all of the sprites of all of the units in the game, it's pretty useful for the less artistically inclined of mod makers.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM

BANNED USER

I hadn't realized Machaka is inspired by Zulu. But I see it now.

Thinking more about the nations, Oceania is probably meant to reflect, in the most general way, some minor aspects of the Pacific Islanders. But they really can't do that region of culture justice with the Oceania nation.

Islander mythologies involve flying canoes, islands of (mischevious) women, winged people, and people with tails; very little of their mythology had to do with life under the sea. They also had (amazingly) tales relating to a northern people with ability to build wonderous things that the Islander people could only copy (amazing because to some people this is prophetic of Europeans; although this is kind of an arrogant eurocentric take on these myths).
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Amhazair said:
You might want to check out the Haida Gwaii mod. (go to the mods forum, and the stickied mod list, and look for Haida Gwaii among the EA nations. ) I never played it myself, but from reading the nation thread it looks to be exactly what you're looking for.
thanks, I'll check it out.
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

There's no tribal nation, because the tribes haven't united. When the tribe gathers power, it will be assimilated by another culture, or it conquers it. Examples:

Horse Tribe -> LA Tien Barbarian Kings
Toad Tribe -> LA Mictlan
Jade Amazons -> EA Sauromatia
Jaguar and Lion tribe are not-yet-nation versions of EA Mictlan and MA Machaka

Bear Tribe/Barbarians - not really any spesific nation, but they could fulfill the role of two-handed weapon wielder available in most human nations. I mean, MA, Ulm axemen, Marignon twohanders, Man Wardens, Vanheim Skinshifters, Mictlan Moon Warriors - many choices.
Similarly, Deer Tribe isn't adopted into any spesific nation, although MA Eriu units bear some resemblance, what with swords being rare, javelins common and lack of bows.

Amazons don't have their own nation, but as mentioned above, EA Sauromatia has adopted local Jade Amazons.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but here goes any way.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Endoperez said:
There's no tribal nation, because the tribes haven't united. When the tribe gathers power, it will be assimilated by another culture, or it conquers it. Examples:

Horse Tribe -> LA Tien Barbarian Kings
Toad Tribe -> LA Mictlan
Jade Amazons -> EA Sauromatia
Jaguar and Lion tribe are not-yet-nation versions of EA Mictlan and MA Machaka

Bear Tribe/Barbarians - not really any spesific nation, but they could fulfill the role of two-handed weapon wielder available in most human nations. I mean, MA, Ulm axemen, Marignon twohanders, Man Wardens, Vanheim Skinshifters, Mictlan Moon Warriors - many choices.
Similarly, Deer Tribe isn't adopted into any spesific nation, although MA Eriu units bear some resemblance, what with swords being rare, javelins common and lack of bows.

Amazons don't have their own nation, but as mentioned above, EA Sauromatia has adopted local Jade Amazons.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but here goes any way.
Yes, youve addressed the heart of my complaint. There are few truly animistic tribal cultures represented among the nations of Dom3 (with maybe the exception of Machaka, don't know much about history of Zulu or what period of history Machaka is meant to capture). Mictlan, Maverni, and others you mention only capture the qualities of a tribal people in transition to horticulture or pastoralism, with the consequent abandonment of animism as people move their gods into their homes and temples. Only indie 'tribal' provinces emphasize an animistic relgion (wild peopls follow their totems); but this is oversimplistic.

I guess I'm thinking an Islander animistic tribal society makes a good base for a Dom3 nation because there is no oppurtunity in history for them to undergo the almost deterministic transformations you've outlined regarding tribal peoples (conquer and abandon animism and hunter/gathering, or be conquered); the pacific islanders lacked the ecological determinants for any of this (thanks Jared Diamond). This very lack of history gives them a base for making such a nation in a historically inspired fantasy genre; their mythology of animism is frozen in time, and because of their ecological and historical impotence that made this possible, their culture is largely ignored.

With a relatively non-existant history of conquest to preserve their animistic culture, tribal Islanders seem a great base to design an animistic tribal nation from. It may also provide another 'wateresque' nation to add to that somewhat small list of water adept nations.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:

With a relatively non-existant history of conquest to preserve their animistic culture, tribal Islanders seem a great base to design an animistic tribal nation from. It may also provide another 'wateresque' nation to add to that somewhat small list of water adept nations.
I think such a nation would lack the ambition to go out and conquer the world, seeing as they either lack the concept of "Manifest Destiny" or whatever you want to call it, or they are just content with their lifestyle and don't overpopulate the land they inhabit. A lot motivation to conquer stems from too many people and not enough resources, which is rarely an issue with tribal cultures. Maybe that's why they are relegated to troops in indy provinces.