World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:07 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Laser Guided ATGM's

Quote:
I've been playing the game since Steel Panthers, I suppose you know. Generally, I play the game daily.
If that's so its a shame you didn't just continue playing then you might not have discovered the website.
We have 2 of the most dedicated game designers I have ever known & they are finally trying to take a much needed break.
Most people seem to respect this the website is quite compared to normal but you keep coming up with totally pointless posts.

Sorry in my view this is just trolling & nobody should answer then you might actually stop wasting everyone's time.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:21 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
The OP should at least play the game before posting any "constructive criticisms." This is obvious trolling.
I'd give him a benefit of doubt, especially as English is not his first language and some aspects of the game can be confusing. I myself have probably made Don pull half of his hair off with my suggestions, questions and requests. In the process I learned a lot on how things are modeled within the game and what the limits of the system are.

The best way to handle things is to be polite, not get provoked and answer the question properly. Trolls get bored of that and newbies get educated by those well thought answers.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
The OP should at least play the game before posting any "constructive criticisms." This is obvious trolling.
I'd give him a benefit of doubt, especially as English is not his first language and some aspects of the game can be confusing..

Moderators have the ability on this forum to trace ISP address and the poster in question is
General IP Information

IP: 101.117.75.52
Decimal: 1702185780
Hostname: 101.117.75.52
ISP: Vodafone Australia
Organization: Vodafone Australia
Services: None detected
Type: Wireless Broadband
Assignment: Static IP
Blacklist:

State/Region: New South Wales
City: Sydney
Latitude: -33.8615 (33° 51′ 41.40″ S)
Longitude: 151.2055 (151° 12′ 19.80″ E)

So this isn't a language issue. Co-incidentally the same place "Chuckforth" was from for those who remember him

Don

Last edited by DRG; May 2nd, 2014 at 08:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

OK dmnt, but in my mind it goes back to what I respectfully suggested to another forum member. The point is, after all, to play Steel Panthers. Getting bogged down with minutiae like special weapons slots, "frozen" turrets and such that hardly (if at all) affect gameplay doesn't have any practical value.

While I won't presume to speak for them, it seems to me that Don and Andy don't pretend that SP is a perfectly accurate representation of combat. (It's doubtful that anything besides the real thing ever will.) What they've given us is a remarkably lifelike facsimile thereof, which we may use for pleasure, analysis, competition, or whatever. While suggestions have their place, it strikes me as impertinent--if not downright rude--to badger the designers incessantly about this or that minor feature that strikes one's fancy.

Agreed, best be polite. On the other hand, how to tell the forum equivalent of a barfly that most of us aren't terribly interested in his picayune concerns?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:37 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
What properties do you think aren't modelled for laser guided ATGM (ie spike) that are for wire guided (eg TOW)??
My rather limited understanding on the topic is that wire-guided missiles there is a chance of the guidance system failing, due to the wire breaking for some reason or due to short circuit caused by the wire coming in contact with water. However, I do not have any particular idea as to how likely such occurrences are in practice, nor to whether they could be really modelled in game.

Also, the range of the wire-guided missiles is limited by the amount of wire they carry - but that is already represented by the range attribute in the game.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:46 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

We don't model electricity pylons (a major factor if using e.g. TOW), but then again I cannot think of any wargames rules set (tabletop or computer or hex and paper) that did. Nor did any of those rules sets bother with large bodies of water short-circuiting the trailing wires. (But then you would have to model the missiles that used insulated wires, such as SS-11 and AS-12 which were happily fired by naval vessels and helos at ship targets).

The rules don't bother to differentiate bridge load classes either, but few wargames rules ever go into that sort of minutiae either. However it is a large part of the planning in military exercises. But us civies simply don't want to be bothered with it, so a Maus can trundle over a wooden bridge at full speed as often as it likes.

Trivia gets in the way of game-play, and brings little added value to the party.

The game has no pre-game planning of orders etc. - a vital part of the military process. SP3 had a rudimentary objective system though. But us civvie wargamers just don't want that sort of restriction, and want to be able to move our troops about at our whim 'Hollywood style' - very few folks bothered with the command and control bit of SP3 as it was not 'fun' and it 'gets in the way'. (Folks who want to try something with more realistic pre-game planning, artillery call-for fires, etc probably should look at the Prosim games http://www.prosimco.com/ - available here on the Shrapnel site).

It is a turn-based easy-access civilian wargame and not a real-time military trainer type simulation that presupposes a year or so in Sandhurst prior to play or a dedicated weapons training TOW simulator for the actual operator to practice with. Some folk cannot seem to get over this, for some reason.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM

Corporal

Turret is on a distinguished road

The thread's off-topic already. Guidance mechanisms on ATGM can have properties, not just affecting accuracy. I say again, I don't know all the specifics of the programming, regarding the game engine, or all the properties of guidance methods of different types of ATGM.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:25 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Might I suggest you have a specific change, and a specific reason for asking for it in mind rather then blanket "Is it possible..." questions? Chances are pretty good the item is already modeled (as best it can be) in the game.

An example (that's already been addressed and nixed for code limitation reasons) was a suggestion to eliminate separate HE and AP ammo for gatling guns and just give them an armor penetration value since there's no such thing as a dual-feed gatling gun.

A specific change for a specific reason.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein