.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 15th, 2017, 02:05 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hue city 1967-68

OK ... THAT is a problem.
Thanks for the dates!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old September 15th, 2017, 05:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I'm still experimenting with the weapon set up.....busy with RL ATM...

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 15th, 2017, 08:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Should probably be about the same as the M1028 round used by the Abrams, maybe a bit less, 106mm vs 120mm.

But based on your experiments that may be altered of course.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old September 16th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I'm a bit busy ATM with other things but the lethality ( HEK ) is tricky. I had thought at first around 33 HEK would be fair and while tests showed it gave a healthy dose of suppression and a number of kills per shot it still didn't seem to give the type of effect that was documented

The M1028 while being a larger diameter WH packs in approx 1150 tungsten balls.....the M581 APERS " beehive" for the 106 RR packed in nearly ( depending on the source ) 6- 8 times as many steel Flechettes. They don't have the range of the tungsten balls but there are a lot more of them flying around so that's why experiments are still ongoing.

It won't be an invulnerable wonder weapon as the range of the Flechettes is no more than the range of most rifles generally but the HEK may end up higher than the M1028

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:39 AM

Lieutenant General

Interesting that they didn't use flechettes for the M1028 then if they're that much better. Cost I assume. The demo I saw in '75 was one ripping up a bunch of baloons, so not exactly hard to damage targets.

Old September 16th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Interesting that they didn't use flechettes for the M1028 then if they're that much better. Cost I assume. The demo I saw in '75 was one ripping up a bunch of baloons, so not exactly hard to damage targets.
I think there are a number of factors for going to tungsten balls....one the range is greater, double or thereabouts...another ( and I think this is a big part of why they only lasted a short time) is the propaganda value their use gives the enemy .The Isrealis have had to deal with that when they used them.....one civilian get injured and there is hell to pay
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...p-9617480.html
I think the M1028 is probably.....but I'm only guessing...more "controllable"

Grape shots been used for centuries....little tiny arrows seem to be perceived differently......how that differs in anyway from a suicide vest stuffed with nails I guess depends on what side of the fence you are standing

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old September 17th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurachn View Post
Monty's Map does a good job of capturing the layout of the land, though it does have a bit more rural look than the actual city.
Especially around the citadel, I wonder if there is a way to get the look of the massive stone walls, fortifications and ornate buildings of the citadel?

Bit of a challenge here, but this nasty 'knife fight in a phone booth' was pretty much the tipping point for the US in Vietnam.
The stone walls etc. cannot be modelled in-game. There are no icons for such things - only hedgerows. I attempted to model the outer wall using a level one hill and special terrain. That is as close as you are going to get in the current build. I am taking another look at the map and re-jigging the outer wall and canals, however. I'll eliminate the gaps altogether. Perhaps I can put some building up on the "citadel wall" to simulate towers etc. I'll need to re-acquaint myself with the geography though.

Maybe someone in the community wants to mod some Vietnamese buildings? I hear building creation is a laborious process. I, for one, don't fancy myself as up to the task.

Last edited by RecruitMonty; September 17th, 2017 at 06:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RecruitMonty For This Useful Post:
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:32 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Hue city 1967-68

Try this site has a good aerial photo of the Citadel and area plus others.
https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/t...e-for-hue-map/

Also from the site an actual map from the USA circa 1965. It's likely this ids the map they used during the battle. Note the Limited Distribution/Declass stamp lower right. This is the real deal as I dealt with USN charts of various classifications in my career. I'm giving it time but, it's taking too long to come up (The Map.) so...
From the above site scroll down/after the first set of pictures/look for the 5th 1 Mar post made by "eggbeast"/on the 3rd line down of his post/click on the light blue highlighted "Hue" for the map in question.

Well it took forever but it's arrived...
Click image for larger version

Name:	txu-oclc-21740104-hue-1968.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	14910

You'll obviously get a better look and can zoom in and out from the map from the site, this will just give you an indication of what it offers and the detail is very good of land features etc.

As a side note look for Ken Burns documentary on the Vietnam War on PBS starting this month.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:43 PM

Lieutenant General

If you're going to revise the map RecruitMonty I'll make an effort to put some time into researching things and maybe between us we can get something done.

Old September 18th, 2017, 08:34 AM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
If you're going to revise the map RecruitMonty I'll make an effort to put some time into researching things and maybe between us we can get something done.
Alright. My revisions are limited to sorting out the Citadel wall at present. It is now - more or less - continuous and as close to the shape of the real thing as the angle will allow. Of course space being what it is, I've had to zap some of the river hexes and some parts of the villes on the left and right.