This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 30th, 2002, 08:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Devnull Mod Gold: updates and discussion

If you want the huge planets to be really rare, only include 1 entry for them in SectType.txt. The number of different entries for each object type, size, etc. in that file is what determines how many "any" sized planets become large, small, etc., how many "any" planets become Rock, Ice, or Gas, and so on.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 30th, 2002, 08:50 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Deathstalker, I am currently downloading your mod (Man, that is huge) and will see what I can use . One thing I am trying to prevent, though, is opening another can of worms and add a lot of stuff that the AI won't use. I am more than 50% finished with updating right now and don't want to start all over again . I assume that the Mount Mod is part of the D-Mod, right?

Thanks Fyron, I 'll see how it works out. If I have any more questions, I know where to find you .

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old July 30th, 2002, 11:46 PM

Captain

Deathstalker is on a distinguished road

Rollo, the MountMod and the D-Mod are seperate entities. D-Mod uses a 'skeleton' Version of the MountMod (as I added gatling guns etc to the techs for it instead of the mounts). Most of the stuff is human exclusive but the AI will use such things as the crystalline engines (or organic) and of course the mounts are arranged for full use by the AI (and it will be even better after the next patch when mounts can be done by tech level etc.)

The main problem I see is how the weapon numbers/family numbers and Facility family numbers correspond. Devnull and I probally share numbers and that would have to be changed manually. If you need any help/advice just ask, and if you only want to use parts of it (or none at all) that is ok too. I think the MountMod can be added with minimal changes to the DevnullMod.

Human existance is all imagination...Reality is no more than a simple agreement among its participants that this is where we shall meet, and these are the rules that we shall abide by.- Kevin McCarthy/David Silva The Family:Special Effects..

Long Live the Legion!!-Comic book fandom...
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:12 PM

Corporal

Binford is on a distinguished road

OK, I just spent a great deal of time going through the devnull mod readme trying to compile a list of features for the mod as oppsoed to all the changes incorporated into every Version/point release. Problem is the original Versions of the mod were based on other mods and they're not referenced there. I am compiling a list of what I can make out and then will post for updates/additions etc that I will have missed (note I didn't say "may have missed").

When this is complete hopefully it can be added to the Mod ZIP file as a separate readme that newbies can read to see how much they might be interested in it.

I like the mod a lot because it makes things that in the regular game actually useful, (for example: Mining asteroids). Maint costs on mining ships really aren't cost effective like prospectors and barges are.

I do wonder if mines aren't REALLY powered down too much by letting PD Cannons sweep them? Have never built a Mine Sweeper in devnull because of that.

Binford
Old August 1st, 2002, 12:50 PM

Brigadier General

Deathstalker - I'll have a look at the Mount Mod as well, then. Devnull Mod already uses an early Version/variation of the Mount Mod, IIRC. One of the problems that always comes up with mounts that change the tonnage is the AI designs. So I have to be careful not to change any of the mounts that the AI already uses, since I tweaked the AI to make designs with them. The engine mount is cool. Not sure if it works with DNM, though. Better engines already use less fuel (down to 5 per move). So if these would use the engine mount, one solar collector would have the effect close to a quantum reactor .

Binford - That sounds good . Thanks for doing this. I'd really like to have a look at it. Don't worry if you get every little change. There are just too many over the time. Also if all changes are in there, people might be just as confused as looking at the readme . Maybe it is a good idea to focus on the main changes of the mod. Maybe make some categories and list 3-5 features in each of them. Anyway, inclusion in the mod zip is a great idea. So newbies can get an overview.

About mines, well yes, that is certainly debatable. It is however one of the features of the mod that is most likely to stay as it is. The way I view myself is just the current caretaker/editor/maintenance man of Devnull Mod (hmm, don't know if that is well put, but you probably get the idea). So, that is one of these 'spirit of the mod' things that I am not going to touch. Personally I like the way minesweeping works in DNM. Mines are less useful, the best part of it IMHO is that putting a few mines on your planets does not help you against the AI much. Still big mine fields are useful and you can put out mines quite fast, if you got the best warheads (note: in DNM the warheads get cheaper, so better warheads let's you churn out more mines). One thing that could be considered, though, is raising the mine limit per sector to 200, 300, or 500. This way you could build big mine fields if you have the time. Still these could be swept with special mine sweepers. For example, a cruiser could have 20 PDC and be able to sweep 100 mines. Five of them could sweep the largest mine field possible.
Hmm, actually that's not a bad change. Would do you and everybody else think about that?

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old August 1st, 2002, 06:11 PM

Corporal

I think using PDS'c for mine sweeping is fine, it's just a little overkill. My suggestion would be to A) Lower the # of mines a PDC can sweep (maybe let it do 1,2,3 mines at PDC levels 1,3,5) and B) up the number of mines an actual Mine Sweeper module can sweep to make it useful. Like I said, Mine Sweeper modules in DNM aren't ever used. Why bother when you can just build PDC's?

My opinion is, when an item can do many things, it shouldn't be able to do them as well as something expressly designed for the task.

Binford

[ August 01, 2002, 17:11: Message edited by: Binford ]
Old August 1st, 2002, 06:20 PM

Brigadier General

Hmm, but there are no mine sweeping components other than the PDC in DNM. The standard mine sweeper components have been removed. So in that respect PDC are the components designed for the task.

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old August 1st, 2002, 06:32 PM

Corporal

Oh... That might explain why I've never built them in DNM, huh? LOL

Binford
Old August 2nd, 2002, 06:43 AM

Sergeant

Quikngruvn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...One thing that could be considered, though, is raising the mine limit per sector to 200, 300, or 500. This way you could build big mine fields if you have the time. Still these could be swept with special mine sweepers. For example, a cruiser could have 20 PDC and be able to sweep 100 mines. Five of them could sweep the largest mine field possible.
I like the idea of upping the unit limit per sector, but I wonder if that would weaken seekers, fighters, and drones. Five of your aforementioned PD cruisers would be able to spit out 100 point-defense per combat turn, effectively nullifying seekers etc. (Not completely, since the PD ships still have to stay close to the offensive ships, but still....) If the fleet did not need to prepare for the possibilty of 500 mines in a sector, it would (probably) not have not nearly so much PD in it, so seekers etc. may still be effective.

Is that as confusing as I think it is?

[edit] I almost forgot... mines also tend to suck up a lot of radioactives, which can cause a problem if you're not careful. I came this close to learning that the hard way in the DNM Learning game.... [/edit]

Quikngruvn

[ August 02, 2002, 05:46: Message edited by: Quikngruvn ]
Old August 2nd, 2002, 11:12 AM

Captain

Deathstalker is on a distinguished road

Another Mine Proposal: Normal PDC could sweep ONE mine per PDC. Research Mines and it would give you access to an advanced PDC that would up the level of sweeping (and replace normal PDC on ship designs). That way PDC V would sweep only 1 mine but AdvancedPDC V would sweep 5. (or whatever # the original Devnull PDC V sweep was). In other words, crossover techs.

Or I am just tired @5am and don't know what I am talking about.

Human existance is all imagination...Reality is no more than a simple agreement among its participants that this is where we shall meet, and these are the rules that we shall abide by.- Kevin McCarthy/David Silva The Family:Special Effects..

Long Live the Legion!!-Comic book fandom...