This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 15th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Narf has gone looney and wants to GM.(Edit

Sounds like something I might have fun with, but I can't seem to figure out which file the character creation method is hiding in. I'm finding racial descriptions, class descriptions, and whatnot, but I'm not quite finding the character creation mechanisim. Any idea where it's hiding?

Also, a thought on multiclassing as a monster type: dormat genes - the character has demon/draconic/fae/whatever blood, but for now, the normal genes are dominant, and the monster genes (and all the nifties, such as special abilities and extra hit dice); however, enough stress (experience) could bring them out. Until then, it's just a special effect.
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The character creation process _is_ all of those files. I am not certain about how the SRD is organized, but when you have the book in front of you (Player's Handbook), you just go through the chapters in the order they are presented in the book to create your character.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Corporal

eorg is on a distinguished road

all 5
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Major General

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
The character creation process _is_ all of those files. I am not certain about how the SRD is organized, but when you have the book in front of you (Player's Handbook), you just go through the chapters in the order they are presented in the book to create your character.
You'd think so; but it doesn't appear to be so. It's got descriptions (along with the class skills and their effects) for the classes; it's got descriptions for the spells; it's got descriptions for the races (along with their special abilities and modifiers); it's got descriptions for the stats, and listings of what rolls they modify. However, it seems to distinctly lack notes on, say, if the vital statistics need to be rolled up on 1d20, 3d6, or 5d4; or if they need to be "purchased" with some form of points in such a way that you always have X number of stats total at the start, starting cash, and the like.

Quote:
eorg said:
all 5
Umm, could you be a little more verbose? There's 86 files in 6 different categories; such a simple statement doesn't tell me where to look to, say, find the rules for generating the character's strength, intelligence, wisdom, dex, et cetera that are mentioned as getting mods in the different categories by race & class.
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Eorg was answering to Narf own five suggestions, and basically said to go with the five ones.

Narf wrote earlier than character creation will be done with whatever system we want to use; I must admit I have no clue about which system will be used (I could probably produce the basic character creation process as described in the Handbook, but do not know anything about alternative systems).
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jack Simth said:
Sounds like something I might have fun with, but I can't seem to figure out which file the character creation method is hiding in. I'm finding racial descriptions, class descriptions, and whatnot, but I'm not quite finding the character creation mechanisim. Any idea where it's hiding?

Also, a thought on multiclassing as a monster type: dormat genes - the character has demon/draconic/fae/whatever blood, but for now, the normal genes are dominant, and the monster genes (and all the nifties, such as special abilities and extra hit dice); however, enough stress (experience) could bring them out. Until then, it's just a special effect.
Base D&D character generation is to roll 4d6 and discard the lowest die; do this 6 times and put the scores wherever you want in your stats. Your base scores are rarely actualy used for anything themselves; they produce modifiers that, well, modify things like stat rolls, skill rolls, how many bonus spells you get if you have a spellcasting class. Your modifier for a stat is (your stat - 10) / 2.

Rolling will probably be on the honor roll, unless anyone wants to be paranoid, in which case rolling will be done on openRPG with people watching.

I don't really care if you cheat, gamewise. If you make characters who can take on anything, that's what you'll get. Out of the game, I'll think your a greedy pig. But I don't think we have to worry about cheating.

If the sum of your modifiers is 0 or less, you scores are considered to low for an adventurer and you may reroll. Same if your highest score is 13 or lower.

If we go with point buy, I'll probably go with standard point buy, 25 points and the following chart:
Code:

Stat | Point cost per level | Total
9 | 1 | 1
10 | 1 | 2
11 | 1 | 3
12 | 1 | 4
13 | 1 | 5
14 | 1 | 6
15 | 2 | 8
16 | 2 | 10
17 | 3 | 13
18 | 3 | 16

After that, there's the base saves, which are Fortitude, Reflex and Will and run off Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom, respectively. These help with surviving poisons and disease, avioding traps and some spells and resisting mental and some spells effects, respectively.

If you need anything else, just ask.

As for hidden racial genes, sure. As long as the confusion of realizing their hidden talents keeps them from properly focusing on their class(not gaining levels) until they have enough enough unused levels to meet the level adjustment of their hidden genes. Not sure if that's what you meant.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Jack Simth said:
You'd think so; but it doesn't appear to be so. It's got descriptions (along with the class skills and their effects) for the classes; it's got descriptions for the spells; it's got descriptions for the races (along with their special abilities and modifiers); it's got descriptions for the stats, and listings of what rolls they modify. However, it seems to distinctly lack notes on, say, if the vital statistics need to be rolled up on 1d20, 3d6, or 5d4; or if they need to be "purchased" with some form of points in such a way that you always have X number of stats total at the start, starting cash, and the like.
The first chapter of the Player's Handbook covers all of that. I think the SRDs are meant solely as a reference, not as a complete guide.

edit:
Basics and Ability Scores seems to be what you need.
http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Basics.rtf
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Major General

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
The first chapter of the Player's Handbook covers all of that. I think the SRDs are meant solely as a reference, not as a complete guide.

edit:
Basics and Ability Scores seems to be what you need.
http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Basics.rtf
It would seem to be - if all you do is skim it. If, instead, you actually read through it, you will notice that it is solely concerned with things during gameplay - the bonuses or penalties the different statistics yield, how an action is rolled, how multipliers work, how fractional results work, descriptions of the stats, and the like; it does not cover deciding on the stats of the character to begin with, nor starting capital for purchasing basic equipment, or any other pre-game stuff. It's possible that it is a deliberate omission on the part of Wizards of the Coast, either as a marketing ploy or as a method of not limiting the game master.

Narf: Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Also pretty much what I was looking for, although the starting cash portion still needs to be addressed.
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Cash, right, cash. In-game, until we get to a town, ie, while I'm still figuring out what I'm doing, shoping will be done in between adventures, with the 'explanation' of shops being scattered through the caverns, rogue-like style. Strangely enough, those shops will probably dissapear once a town is encountered.

As for starting gold, Barbarian(4d4*10gp, average 100gp), Bard(4d4*10gp, ave 100gp), Cleric(5d4*10gp, ave 125gp), Druid(2d4*10gp, ave 50gp), Fighter(6d4*10gp, ave 150gp), Monk(5d4gp, ave 12gp, 5sp), Paladin(6d4*10gp, ave 150gp), Ranger(6d4*10gp, ave 150gp), Rogue(5d4*10gp, ave 125gp), Sorcerer(3d4x10gp, ave 75gp), Wizard(3d4x10gp, ave 75gp).

As with stats, you can roll yourself, on the honor roll, unless anyone wants to be paranoid, or take the average.
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Side note: Don't everybody create fighters. There are traps...