.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 24th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Hammer and Anvil

In this scenario, the Romanian 15th Motorized Brigade is trying to recapture the town of Roman in Romania, a few kilometers west of Jassy from Ukrainian paratroopers. This has to be done quickly, for it is known that in approximately 20 turns large heavy formations of the Ukrainians will come to rescue their comrades. The map of the battlefield (160*160 hexes size), alongside the initial Romanian dispositions is the following:

1-1st company, 151st Mech battalion.
2-3rd company, 151st
3-2nd company, 151st
4-1st company, 631st tank battalion
5-2nd company, 631st
6-3rd company, 631st
7-Brigade artillery, two 152mm batteries, one 130mm battery
8-AA batteries, twin 35mm caliber
9-AT companies, 100mm anti-tank guns
10-Recon company, some 5 scout cars in total
11-self propelled AT company, equipped with BRDM Malyutka tank destroyers
Also an 120mm mortar platoon is in my disposal.

The attack has to be quick and decisive. Therefore, my plan is the following:
To the south, a task force composed of one tank company and one mechanized company will advance towards area (14), to capture the bridge at Siret, which is an objective. Enemy ATGM teams are expected, and if necessary artillery will smoke the area.
In the middle, the open area (13) is a potential kill zone, so no major advance will happen there. Instead, small probes by scouts will try to reveal any enemy ATGMs or heavy weapons, while one tank company as well as the tank destroyer company will snipe at any heavy equipment found.
The main effort will advance to the north, through (12). Two mechanized companies, one tank company will do the advance. Artillery will support with smoke and HE fire. The artillery is towed, so shoot and scoot techniques will not be very effective, but I’ll try my best. Once the main objectives are captured, towed AT guns will cover any approach from the east.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old July 24th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Hammer and Anvil

Turns 1-5

My force is in motion. Soon, lead scout elements come under fire from position (1). It turns out I’m being spotted my Ukrainian BMDs. My artillery and tanks fire smoke rounds to conceal any advance by my forces. I do realize that I’m short on smoke rounds though.
My supporting group reaches (2) and trades shots with enemy BMDs. I lose two tanks, but I knock out one BMD. So far the exchange is not in my favor. However, they enable the main effort to each (3) unharmed. My scouts find more enemy BMDs at (4) as well.
My southern force moves as well. When they reach (5), they come under fire by a couple of BMDs at (6). I lose two tanks and two BTRs, but I knock out one BMD and the other runs out of missiles. I hope the advance will be easier now.
So far the first clashes are made and though my casualties were low, they were higher than the Ukrainians. The important thing though is to not lose speed. So far I haven’t been shelled by artillery or received any air strikes, which is definitely a good thing. I wonder how long this will remain though…
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turns 6-10

The Romanians continue to press on. To the north at (3), the main body comes under fire from BMDs at (1) and (2). 4 BTRs are destroyed, but all enemy BMDs are knocked out by the supporting tanks. The infantry reaches the northeastern outskirts of Roman.
To the centre, the reconnaissance probe pushes slowly at (4). Any enemy BMD or tank destroyer that reveals itself is blasted to bits by the support at (5). Enemy aircraft are sighted and strike the TD company at (6). Two light vehicles are destroyed, but my 35mm AA guns prove to be very capable and they shoot down two Su-25s.
To the south, my force suffers heavy casualties from ATGMs and enemy aircraft firing stand-off missiles. I lose seven tanks and five BTRs, but I clear the area (7) and (8) from enemy vehicles thanks to tank and artillery fire. The road towards the bridge seems clear and my surviving mechanized infantry dashes forward to secure their objective fast.
So far a company’s worth of BMDs are destroyed, as well as two tank destroyers and two aircraft. My losses are around 10 tanks and an equivalent number of BTRs, as well as a few other light vehicles. Personnel losses are low. Casualty wise, things are even (or even slightly towards the Ukrainian favor), but I’ve reached the town of Roman and I’m about to capture the Siret bridge, so I’m actually optimistic.
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:45 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Hammer and Anvil

I am following your sitreps. May I kindly suggest noting each unit's objective on the map. Press on.

Thanks.

Old July 25th, 2018, 10:03 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Question, how do you get the images in your posts?
Old July 26th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
I am following your sitreps. May I kindly suggest noting each unit's objective on the map. Press on.

Thanks.

Noted. Next image will also have the objectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
Question, how do you get the images in your posts?
Print screen+ MS Paint. I zoom out to the maximum then I capture the image. Since the map is quite large, I have to do this several times, then combine the images to make the whole map. I hide objectives and unit IDs as well. Then whenever I want to post an update, I can draw arrows, defensive lines etc and I also have a separate .bmp file with NATO symbols than I occasionally use to represent infantry/tank/whatever platoons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I think he means how do you get an image with that many KB to be accepted by the Shrapnel server??..... I know I'm very curious as well... The stated max for PNG's is 73.2 KB.... yet those ones you post are 20+ times that big and we need to know how you do it

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; July 26th, 2018 at 10:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old July 26th, 2018, 03:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I think he means how do you get an image with that many KB to be accepted by the Shrapnel server??..... I know I'm very curious as well... The stated max for PNG's is 73.2 KB.... yet those ones you post are 20+ times that big and we need to know how you do it
IDK to be honest. Maybe it's because I upload them to imgur first.
Old July 26th, 2018, 04:07 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Could you define what imgur is or means?
Old July 26th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgur