.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 4th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BRIGADE NORD: Opening Moves 1 (Bardufoss)

Finished the scenario, decisive victory for Norway.

Due primarily to catching a couple of platoons of Russian para's crossing a river in rubber boats.

Needless to say the Norwegian vehicles were of limited combat utility due to the sheer number of Russian AT weapons and the inherent inaccuracy of vehicle mounted machineguns. But as taxis to shift Norwegian units around the battlefield they were invaluable.
I made good use of the open airfield to keep Norwegian vehicles at the edge of Russian AT weapons range and slowly fall back firing as much as possible. They didn't inflict much damage but they did draw fire which my infantry really appreciated.

The Russian RMG once again showed its incredible utility. While not overly accurate it's ability to destroy and seriously suppress units in adjacent hexes due to being an FAE, and set cover aflame (thus automatically suppressing any units in the hex) has always made it one of the better infantry support weapons in WinSPMBT. I suspect the number of fires they set would pretty well strip the entire area of cover prior to the next battle (maybe something to consider if you plan a scenario covering a second attack on Bardufoss).

Of course the higher experience and morale of the Russians made it relatively easy for them to spot the Norwegians hiding in the trees before the Norwegians even noticed them advancing in the open. So the key is to find defensive positions that limit line-of-sight as much as possible to give the Norwegians the chance to ambush the Russians. And insure there are two Norwegian units stacked in each position as one can rarely inflict enough damage/suppression to prevent Russian counter fire after it's been attacked on from decimating the unit.

I didn't mention it before because I overlooked it, but there were no infantry machine-guns one either side which I found curious.

If I'd not caught those Russian paras in rubber boats I'd have been reduced to throwing spit-balls by the end of the battle, at least half the Norwegian infantry that was still alive was down to 10 or less ammo at the end.

Overall a very nice scenario.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
5) The issue I'm trying to resolve, with this scenario and one I am developing as well, is how to "direct" AI mounted units. There is not a way as I understand to dismount AI units at a specific hex, nor can we set way points of dropped para units.
There is no way to tell an AI controlled unit to mount or dismount, it's something I always curse when doing scenarios. Most of the time AI vehicles will advance one turn along their route then dismount troops then they'll all mill around aimlessly for several turns.

Actually you can set routing for para units, it doesn't work well but it does work.
Prior to loading them into aircraft set several waypoints in a string next to each other (not all in the same hex) in the intended LZ. Once dropped the para units will move toward that string of waypoints and since they're all next to each other eventually the units of the formation will collect in the vicinity. The "fun" part is guessing how long this will take then setting the follow-on waypoints to direct the para's toward their intended destination.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:36 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Shock Re: BRIGADE NORD: Opening Moves 1 (Bardufoss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Actually you can set routing for para units, it doesn't work well but it does work.
Prior to loading them into aircraft set several waypoints in a string next to each other (not all in the same hex) in the intended LZ. Once dropped the para units will move toward that string of waypoints and since they're all next to each other eventually the units of the formation will collect in the vicinity. The "fun" part is guessing how long this will take then setting the follow-on waypoints to direct the para's toward their intended destination.
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks. I'm off to see the wizard!
Old July 4th, 2014, 09:17 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
5) The issue I'm trying to resolve, with this scenario and one I am developing as well, is how to "direct" AI mounted units. There is not a way as I understand to dismount AI units at a specific hex.
Not possible to define a specific hex however neutral or enemy controlled flags can be used to influence behaviour.
The AI seems to slow down & become more cautious as it nears them & approaches infantry engagement ranges, vehicles slow down & passengers unload normally.

With a bit of trial & error you can do things like put a line of trees near the flag & the AI will roll up behind it unload & move forward more cautiously than normal.

With mech companies it can also be useful to buy the vehicles & infantry separately rather than combined in one platoon.
You can then give each platoon separate waypoints, use 3-4 as many for the vehicles so they move slowly & trail the infantry.
If they get to close the infantry will be picked up so the infantry need to move first.
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:01 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Suhir and Imp, Thanks. I'm still working on updating the scenario but was unlucky to pull duty this holiday so it will have to wait until next week.

Shahadi, good suggestions on the airstrike aspects, I'll incorporate them into the update. Also using Spetznaz as pathfinders and forward observers.

As far as gates go, to tell you the truth, photos I've seen of their bases don't show much of their secuirty and it "appears" rather open. I added two security posts to the airport that sat photos don't show just for that reason.

I'm researching another scenario around the 2nd Batalion base at Overbygd, and sat photos (from a source Wulfir gave) also show minimal perimeter security and it basically resides with a residental community. I'm not use to that concept so I'm sure I'm missing something.

I'm also having problems with the issue of setting waypoints. In this game, it disturbs me to see the VDV running across the open end of the east side of the runway in their assaults without using cover or concealment. So I'm working on re-setting the objectives in an attempt to correct the AI's tactics.

Congrats Suhiir on your victory. You've done better than I have and I designed this bloody scenario! I agree on the lack of MG units for the VDV. I'm Working on research to better portray the para units in the update.

Again, thanks to everyone adding imput. I've been playing this game since it came out in the 90's, but now, in my old age, I'm trying to transition from the beer and pretzel aspects to historical (even hypothetical) modelling. You've all been a great help.

Grant1
Old December 24th, 2015, 05:30 AM

Private

centurion77 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, These scenarios caught my attention recently due to the broadcasting on Arte of a Norwegian TV miniseries called "Occupation" which depicts a gradual subversive occupation of Norway by Russia with EU/Swedish approval, after Norway cuts off the North Sea oil supply in a bid to force the EU to convert to a cleaner energy source. I'm only at episode 2 so few Russian boots on the ground (for the moment?) but it reminded me of this series of scenarios.