.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM

Sergeant

Samhain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Faded Magic - No diplo, CBM 1.92, limited magic, Monsters & Dragons! - Recruiting

Ulm, please.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM

Sergeant

shard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Faded Magic - No diplo, CBM 1.92, limited magic, Monsters & Dragons! - Recruiting

I am winding down(ie getting stuffed) in a couple of games so I should be able to make this one. Will confirm soon and choose from whatever nations are left and/or is recommended
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:19 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Welcome to both of you! Samhain, nice to see another Nations player in the game. Shard, I hope you can make it as well - I'll mark you down as tentative.

Ragnarok-X and shard you both volunteered to try recommended nations. I mainly want everyone to play the nation they want but I will admit to some curiosity about Ulm, just chosen by Samhain, and Jotun. Ulm because they are so strong in the current CBM and at the same time performed well in previous games even though they were weaker and Jotun because this is the first time they've been allowed in and I'm curious as to how powerful they will be. But like I said, please don't feel pushed to play a certain nation.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, im in as Jotun. I offered it
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM

Sergeant

I thought Ulm was considered one of the weaker nations of MA. If they are one of the more powerful options, that will kind of suck if/when I go down in flames in the first 20 turns or so. Is there a better choice of nation that is both not too micro-managey as well as weak enough to provide a good excuse for poor performance? I generally just play EA.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM

Sergeant

tratorix is on a distinguished road

In as T'ien Chi.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
Ok, im in as Jotun. I offered it
Ok, I've switched you to the giants. Thanks for giving them a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I thought Ulm was considered one of the weaker nations of MA. If they are one of the more powerful options, that will kind of suck if/when I go down in flames in the first 20 turns or so. Is there a better choice of nation that is both not too micro-managey as well as weak enough to provide a good excuse for poor performance? I generally just play EA.
Under CBM 1.6, which we used in the previous game, it certainly was considered a weak nation but under 1.92 it's a different story. But I have nerfed them heavily and when you consider the presence of nations like Pythium, Jotun and Eriu (Eriu has a very strong midgame and fades late game - but here there is no traditional late game) I wouldn't at all say that Ulm stands out as stronger than the others.

As far as going down in flames in the first 20 turns, well there's no shame in that as even with strong nations luck can turn against you and you get dogpiled, etc.

In terms of low micro, I guess Ulm wouldn't be too bad from that perspective since at least they aren't into blood. And combat scripting shouldn't be too complicated since you'll be focused on buffing troops and pounding opponents with evo magic. But in the end if you do well you'll have to manage an increasing number of units and have to deal with an increasing amount of micro (this is a low magic game but unfortunately the micro won't be any better than a normal game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratorix View Post
In as T'ien Chi.
Welcome! I'll leave recruitment open until we hear from shard; perhaps we'll end up with a full complement of 8 players.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:12 PM

Sergeant

Ok. I think I'll keep Ulm then. I already have a pretender chosen for Ulm with an RP back story. Man looked like another good choice for the same type of game play. I may try them next time.

My last game was with EA Abysia. That was nuts with micro-management. I swore if I ever played them again I would do so with little or no use of blood. That seemed less of a viable option with MA Abysia though.

The late game micro-managment of thug summoning and/or equipping is something I can usually deal in the rare situation that I make it that long.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:38 PM

Major General

Quote:
Ok. I think I'll keep Ulm then. I already have a pretender chosen for Ulm with an RP back story.
Nice! RP and in-character stuff is always fun.

Quote:
Man looked like another good choice for the same type of game play. I may try them next time.
Olm did very well with Man last time (including some nice in-character posts) and, like Ulm, the 1.6 version was weaker than the current version of the nation.

Btw, how did you like Eriu? I know buzzsaw took over your position so you didn't get a chance to fully explore them, but they are actually also pretty good from a micro perspective (like you say equipping thugs and sending them out isn't bad). They are also another nation much stronger under the current CBM.

Quote:
My last game was with EA Abysia. That was nuts with micro-management. I swore if I ever played them again I would do so with little or no use of blood. That seemed less of a viable option with MA Abysia though.
Definitely; playing MA Aby without use of those awesome warlocks would be a travesty.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:26 PM

Sergeant

I'll try to post the bit of backstory by the time we start. I don't plan on doing any testing anyway, so I'll have the time. I tend to find testing does me more harm than good. I always get easy indies and awesome unexpected events then have the opposite luck when the real game starts. Since getting a taste of multiplayer, I no longer have any interest in single player regardless.

Once we get going, I can't make any promises about story updates, at least not before the final conclusion.

As for Eriu, along with its early age cousin and Last of the Tuatha in Dom2, there is probably no nation that I've played more. Though, I haven't played them otherwise in any forum game, just once I think in one of those dom3minions fast turn games where I got smeared. Pretty much all of that experience with them has been in single player.

I didn't worry much about strategy when I played single player and many of my games ended with the last dozen or so Sidhe Champion heroes marching off together for their final, tragic battle.

As you might guess from the name, I am kind of fond of Irish mythology. For the same reason, I've probably played Fomoria in more multi-player games than any other nation.

As for the Nations game, I was happy to let Buzzsaw keep my position as I've been trying to get him back into playing. We used to play with a couple of other co-workers. Since our desks are about five feet from each other, he let me see many of his turns so I could sort of keep playing vicariously through him. It was actually a lot of fun.