.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old April 28th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Module: Hack and Slash (still in beta)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollo:

Is your new character also a Druid? It might be interesting for you to know (and for all other players for that matter) that there is a bug in DO with summoned monsters. The monsters that you summon to not attck monsters that are summoned by other foes.

Example: You face an enemy spellcaster. You summon a 20th level Fire Vortex and he summons a 5th level Rat. Both of you sit back to let your minions duke it out. But your Vortex will lose, since it will do nothing against the rat .

Rollo
Yes I'm playing a druid again, good to know about this bug, I did lose a lot of pets against the golemns in the mine before reading this.

Quote:

Good to hear that someone finally found the easter egg in the new Version . Glad you like the mod.

Rollo
The "easter egg" looks great btw, looking forward to it's real implementation in the module :-)

[ April 28, 2003, 10:26: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:20 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

I'm also playing a Druid - thanks for the info on the bug, I never knew that was a problem. Having a great time so far.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

Sergeant

I just started playing again, and I'm having a great time. My druid character from the previous post never got very far, I now started a fighter. some comments (may contain spoilers, don't read if you haven't played it yet)

I like the new storyline, with the badguy that has given keys to his minions, which you have to collect to be able to beat him. The mod is definitely more than just "crown of the magis II". Can't wait to go into the tower.

The new wilderness is also great, as a first level character you still have to run from the monsters, which is a nice difference from the mindless slaughtering of low level monsters that most modules have. It gives a lot of satisfaction when you are finally strong enough to take out the creatures there.

The mines in the village with the berserker orcs and the trader are great, I really liked how you handled the "key give away" It's a nice trick to make characters give quest items etc. The mines could use a little more variety though, all the tunnels are more or less the same (a few extra tiles or tileGroups can make a huge difference)

More later.. I'm off to kill Lord Sertis, just sneeked in through the backdoor .

[ October 23, 2003, 08:23: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:08 PM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

Cool! I never did finish this one because my Druid was getting killed all the time. I think I was also start over with a Warrior.
Old October 30th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Sergeant

I've run into some trouble with hack and slash. It seems that something is slowing down the framerate to really really low levels (less than a frame per second) when entering the tower. It didn't happen right away but after a while. not sure what is causing it, exiting the tower and entering it later doesn't cure the problem either.. (the framerate is ok when you're out of the tower, the problem returns when you enter again) I don't have the fastest machine, a pentium II 266, but I haven't had any problems with the framerate before, so I guess it must be something odd in the module.

Other than that I'm having fun, I killed Sertis, and finished the easter egg thing and some other levels. I hope I can fight my way through the tower at 0.5 frames per second , or that there is a way around it

[ October 31, 2003, 07:00: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:45 PM

Sergeant

Hmm I think the large Groups of summoned guardians must have been the problem. I killed three Groups of them and now the framerate is back in the green. I used the pause function a lot since that seemed to force a redraw of the screen (which only happened once every 5 seconds otherwise). The tower map is really cool btw. It seems to use a few different connection types, which is nice, it makes the map less precictable and gives a nice "what's around the corner" tension.

My fighter seems quite invincible right now with the loot he found in Lord Sertis layer. might have something to do with the fact that I used the spell-patch on the module. those berserker orks aren't that impressive anymore . I also started as a level 1 character, which might mean that the monsters generated in the dungeon are of a somewhat lower level than they should be. still having a lot of fun.

I'm off to grab the Last key..

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:35 PM

Sergeant

I did it! I returned the crown of the magis! *again*!

The final battle was great, the lich king was dispatched quickly, but one of his vampiric friends had steel carapace, major life leech AND major regeneration, quite a deadly combination, I couldn't hurt him even though I was doing 70-179 damage per hit. I finally managed to web him to the ground using a high level scroll (-700 movement rate ) and then killed him using my dual-wielded axes while quaffing large quantities of healing potion.

Great module!

[ November 01, 2003, 10:50: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5