.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM

Corporal

SsSam is on a distinguished road
Default Movement question

I am Pythia.
Ermor is sieging a castle of mine. The doors are open. They could likely walk into the castle against my meager defending troops.
I have an army in a province next door.
Ermor is allied with Man.
Man also has an army in a province next door.
It is my suspicion that Ermor is planing on vacating the province under siege and allowing Man to take my castle.
So....Ermor would move to a province of his own before anybody else and then Man would move on top of the castle.

It is my belief that the castle would have its defense fully restored when the Ermorian army moves away. True or False?

If I were to try and slip my army into the castle without combat what are my chances? Once the Ermorian army moves away the province is mine. Would my troops then move in the move to own province section of turn resolution or is that too simple?

Sorry for not testing on my own.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movement question

Answer to the question: as I tested it it seemed that the armies of Man would take the castle always and then battle would occur. Even if your armies go there first there will be battle if ermor is clever enough to leave 1 unit on top(which is what people usually do when retreating).

Last edited by bbz; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:09 PM..
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:58 PM

Corporal

Hrum is on a distinguished road

That's a good question about the defense of your fort being restored when the enemy's army leaves the province. I'm not sure if the new enemy arriving the same turn the other enemy left would find a fort with it's defense already reduced or have to wait while the defense is reduced once more. Gotta test that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsSam View Post
If I were to try and slip my army into the castle without combat what are my chances? Once the Ermorian army moves away the province is mine. Would my troops then move in the move to own province section of turn resolution or is that too simple
Movement between friendly provinces happens in an earlier phase than battle movement, which means that during the friendly movement phase Ermor still owns your province, which I think means that you can't move there in that phase (your army would move to that province during battle movement, no?).

The whole idea of the friendly movement phase is that no conflicts have to be resolved during that phase. It doesn't matter what order the server handles that movement since with no conflicts the result doesn't change depending on whose army moves first.

If your army's movement creates a potential conflict (someone else owns that province and you'll have to fight them for it) then it has to happen during the battle (err.. other) movement phase. You may own the fort, but Ermor owns the province while his army is there (he can set the tax level, etc).

I'm not sure how the game handles that space of time between an enemy leaving behind your unconquered fort and you reclaiming the ownership of that province, but I feel like it might be something like:

Turn Starts
1.Enemy owns province (you own the fort)
2.Enemy leaves province during friendly movement, Indies now own the province (you own the fort)
3.If noone has attacked during other movement to retake the province from you it reverts to your control by the end of turn resolution (maybe during other movement? your fort re-conquers the province for you?).

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Turn_resolution
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

I just tested this. Assuming I did it right, and I think I did: No, the fortress will not fully heal if the besieging army leaves while another moves in.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road

Correct, the rules state the walls actually have to be fully repaired each turn by the defending army in that province once an attacker has been beaten off.
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleyDooley View Post
Correct, the rules state the walls actually have to be fully repaired each turn by the defending army in that province once an attacker has been beaten off.
Hope I'm not changing topic....

I often find I move into an (SP) AI province with fortress expecting to have to siege for a while. But turn report immediately says walls are down. I have seen no battle there for many turns. Is this the reason? It has previously been besieged but never rebuilt? Does not army there == no rebuild at all?
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

It could be that or the walls were at 100% at the start of the turn but no defenders and the strength of your army was able to breach it in one turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoleyDooley For This Useful Post:
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It could be that or the walls were at 100% at the start of the turn but no defenders and the strength of your army was able to breach it in one turn.
Thanks. Soooooooooo, you are saying: if no/little defenders, walls might breach immediately?! I had assumed/thought that castle walls were a constant, independent of defenders.......
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

The walls have a set "strength", for lack of a better word, which is the amount of damage you must inflict on them to breach it.

It adds up your attacking strength and subtracts any defenders strength and this is the amount of damage the wall receives. if it is greater than the remaining strength, it is breached.

Note castle walls initial strength is dependent on the type of castle.
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:08 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It adds up your attacking strength and subtracts any defenders strength and this is the amount of damage the wall receives. if it is greater than the remaining strength, it is breached.
Note that attacking and defending strengths vary by unit, according to the formula str^2/100. Flying, siege bonus, defense bonus, animal, and undead all alter this.