.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Byzantine Pythium for LE project

Hello

Since there is no Pythium in LE I got the idea to mod it in. Since Pythium represents the East Roman empire a natural evolution of Pythium would be evolution into something of a fantasy Byzantine Empire.

I have so far wrapped up outlines of the concept, including most of their units.

However I lack ideas for light infantry, sacred units and Priest and Mage units since I am not very familiar in byzantine mythology or Orthodox christianity which they practiced. Any help regarding these would be apreciated.

I would also eventually need someone to help me out with the graphics of the mod. Yet again, any help will be apreciated.

What I have so far:

Light Infantry

Peltastoi (Spear, Javelin, Helmet, Leather Cuirass)

Very, very generic.

Medium Infantry

Spathion (Short Sword, Helmet, Skutatoi shield, lamellar cuirass)
Paramerion (Scimitar, Helmet, Skutatoi shield, lamellar cuirass)
Kontarion (Long Spear, Helmet, Skutatoi shield, lamellar cuirass)

The mainstay of the "Byzthium" infantry force. Skutatoi shield was described as teardrop/kite shaped shield. Lamellar cuirass is direct quote from my sources, and I don't know how to represent it in games.

Cavalry

Kataphraktoi (Light Lance, Comp bow, Short Sword, small shield, scale mail)
Psiloi Hippeutes (Comp bow, axe, leather armor, helmet)
Psiloi Katapraktoi (Javelins, axe, leather armor, helmet)

Ahhh, the Cataprachts, the scale mailed fist of Byzthium force. They were apparently very powerful and important in real life. The Psiloi units are light cavalry.

Varangians

Varangian Guard (Heavy Axe, Helmet, lamellar cuirass)

Propably everyone who knows a bit of Byzantine Empire has heard of the Varangian guard, those russoscandian axe toting bodyguards & trusted men of the emperors. Too significant to pass.

Archers

Toxotai (Comp bow, short sword, leather armor)
Toxotai (Comp bow, short sword, light armor)

Composite bowman. Byzantine battle manuals supposedly recommended giving "light armor" to archers, but this of course wasn't possible. I thought of making light armored archers some sort of elite archers.

Commanders

Scout (Comp bow, short sword, leather armor)
Assasin (Short sword, poison dagger, leather cuirass)
Drungarios (Short Sword, Helmet, Skutatoi shield, lamellar cuirass)
Kentarchos (Short Sword, Helmet, Skutatoi shield, lamellar cuirass)
Manglavites (Heavy axe, Helmet, lamellar cuirass)
Catapract Commander (Comp bow, Short Sword, small shield, scale mail

Scout and Assasins are rather run the mill stuff. Byzantine empire was supposedly full of plotting so the assasins fit. Drungarios are 40 man commanders, Kentarchos 120 man commanders. Manglavite is a Varangian commander and Catapract Commander is, suprise suprise, a Catapract commanders.

Comments are apreciated.

EDIT: One idea I had was splitting the "Theurgs" into Priests with Astral and mages with Air/Water/suitable randoms.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Byzantine Pythium for LE project

LA combines priests and magic pretty often, but they rarely are good in both. Something like the Astral equivalent of Anathemant Dragons could be very interesting, however. I don't know about the other paths, but both Death and Blood are probably totally out. If Astral is based around the clergy, the mages won't be as powerful in it. That leaves Nature, and the elements. Three or four out of those, with two (in addition to Astral) with starting level 2, 3 with proper random, seems to be the norm... But it'll be easier to think of that once you get the game. It'll be easier to finish this mod if you do some of the work (writing stats for the units) now that you have lots of spare time.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Hmm, Nature magic, interesting, I'll have to think about it. After reading around a bit about Orthodox christianity I am forming an image what the Priests could be like. So that's progress.

But yes, I will write the unit stats ready. Now I only need to think up of mages and holy units.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

I say you should make the Ancient Hebrew mod before the Byzantine Pyhtium mod
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Agrajag said:
I say you should make the Ancient Hebrew mod before the Byzantine Pyhtium mod
I think IW is working on something like that themselves.

But if not, I'll make both.

- Kristoffer O.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Actually, I think IW has plans for BOTH.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Daynarr said:
Actually, I think IW has plans for BOTH.
Byzantine Pythium too? Seriously? =/

- Kristoffer O.
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Well, late era Pythum. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you have in mind. I suggest you go on with this project, it's very unlikely it will turn out to be the same thing that IW will make.
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Daynarr said:
Well, late era Pythum. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you have in mind. I suggest you go on with this project, it's very unlikely it will turn out to be the same thing that IW will make.
Righto then.

- Kristoffer O.
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Bonus round. Nation description and Priests!

Pythium

A long time the Theurgs of Pythia were warned by the stars of impending doom that would face them unless they would break off from Ermor. The Theurgs led Pythia away and established an imperial theocracy under their rule. But as years passed Pythia lost much of it's might to rebelions. Many emperors would fight to regains the lands of the old empire but none of them succeeded. Eventually Pythia fell into inner rivalry and scheming of the emperors, theurgs and generals. Blinded by it's hubris the weakened Pythia was struck with disaster as it fell into the hand of it's enemies, and not even the last desperate coup by the Theurgs could save them.

As Pythia fell into a dark age a new sect emerged. Led by a Prophet of Awakening God promising joyous, divine, celestial unity if they would follow his god. The prophet gained many followers and he was eventually tortured and killed by the rulers of Pythia. But the martyrdom only made the faith more popular and eventually one of the men claiming emperorhood converted to the faith. Aided by the Episkopoi, high priests of the new faith and their followers he conquered the opposition.

Now Pythia has recovered from the dark ages and seeks to spread the joyos word of celestial unity. The old legions have been disbanded in favour of Skutatoi infantry supported by Cataprachts and Toxotai archers wielding composite bows. Hydras are no longer used in warfare and gladiator games are banned. Instead foreigners who came to Pythia as looters or converts have been pressed into service of the army. The Episkopoi command a vast, organized clergy and they are priest-mages of the spheres.

The clergy of the Curch of Awakening God

Anagnostis (1 H)

The Anagnostis are Pythian clergymen responsible for reading sacred texts during the many rituals of the Church of Awakening God. Since the ability to read is a rare one the Anagnostis are respected by laypeople but the role they hold in the Church of Awakening God is a minor one. The Anagnostis have limited priestly powers.

Diakonos (2H 1S)

The Diakonos are Pythian clergymen who help the Presbyter in their rituals but they are commanded by the Episkopos of their church. In some ways they carry the legacy of Theurgic Communion as they occasionaly lend themselves in rituals that could pass as the communion of the old times. But no-one would dare to link to plotting and traitorous Theurgs to the holy Church of Awakening God. The Diakonos have priestly authority and know some Astral magic.

Presbyter (3H 2S)

The Presbyter are Pythian clergymen responsible for carrying out most of the rituals. The Pythian faith of the Awakening God believes that the Awakening God will lead it's followers into life of wonderful divine, celestial unity if they devoutly follow the Awakening God and the rituals aimed to keep the followers pure of so-called ungodly influences. The many rituals organized by Presbyter include things like immersing people new to the faith in holy water and anointing soldiers worried of their bodily or mental health with Holy Oil. Presbyters wield strong priestly powers and are versed in celestial wisdom and mysteries.

Episkopos (4H 3S 50%SWFA)

The Episkopoi are the leaders, high priests and adminstrators of the Church of Awakening God. They wield great priestly authority and have vast knowledgge on the mysteries and wisdom of the spheres but they leave most of rituals to their Presbyter subordinates. Instead they perform the most important rituals, command their underlings and communicate with the God of Pythium. After the tragic death of the first prophet in the hands of the old order the Episkopos have striven to spead the Awakening God's message of blissful celestial unity that waits those who support the Awakening God. They forward the Awakening God's will to their clergy and the people as they have done since the Church was a group of believers hiding in Pythian cataboms. They also devise the rituals intended to keep the people pure according to the God's will. The Episkopoi work as a council and the treachery and plotting of the old times when Theurgs were spokesmen of the Pythian faith are largely gone and this has no doubt pleased the emperor and the Pythian God.

Comments are apreciated.

- Kristoffer O.