.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 26th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it possible to....?

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
> Yup I agree. If we can access to those 2 programs, I will surely try out my "fantasy themed" fonts. Maybe one will be excellent for the game.

I don't think you could make use of the programs if we gave them to you. At leas one of them is probably made by JK. Knowing JK they don't have any UI at all, everything needing shortcut keys that are unexplained and no help command since he doesn't need it. I feel pretty confident I can't operate them. Explaining them to you would probably take more effort than rendering and converting a number of fonts for the game.

In short: it is rather unlikely that there will be changes to the fonts. The other fonts used in the beta could be used if you replace some of the existing files in the game. If there is wide consensus on trying a new fonte it could perhaps be made, but it would take time from something more fun. The results might be or might not be good, but the converting will be rather booring work, so don't expect it.
Ah I see. Thanks for the infos Kris. I thought that we can add fonts in a simple way, when I posted this question. This is indeed looking a bit too complicated at the moment.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Its just a font... not important versus other improvements and fixes.
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM

Major

Yet another important modding related question.

4. Is it possible to change spell names and descriptions?
This would be very important for modders.

[According to Endo, it won't be possible in the vanilla game sadly.]

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

Major

Well, I was PMing to Kris, who told me, that we can't change the name/descrition of the spells in the vanilla game, however since the patches will focus a lot of modding, we can do it soon hopefully.

Old October 4th, 2006, 02:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to limit a summon spell in such way that I can't cast it if such creatue is already present in the province ? I'm thinking about summoning creatures with mapmove 0 and how to enforce max 1 per province.
Ok... so it's probably not efficient to summon mulktiple immobiles in same province (in the same way that it's not a good idea to invest much into PD - a stationary army, after all), but there would be thematic reasons for this, too.
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

No. That sounds like an interesting idea though, so if you get one of the Illwinter guys interested, you might see an official spell with that feature and could then mod it to suit your own purpose.
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Major

Quote:
Endoperez said:
No. That sounds like an interesting idea though, so if you get one of the Illwinter guys interested, you might see an official spell with that feature and could then mod it to suit your own purpose.
Yep, that is an interesting idea indeed.

Old October 4th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

....because, I assume, it is already possible to have spells castable on on certain terrain types, right ? Multiple terrain types allowed, not something like 'volcano - mountain'
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:04 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
B0rsuk said:
....because, I assume, it is already possible to have spells castable on on certain terrain types, right ? Multiple terrain types allowed, not something like 'volcano - mountain'
I'm not sure about that. Call of the Wild is now "more efficient in forest provinces" or some such, and I don't remember if Faery Trod was limited to forests or if the description was changed. It is certainly possible to have Globals only affect spesific provinces (coasts), and I quess it's just the same "terrain mask" used in e.g. magic site modding.