.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Pissible to change the text of random events?

I was thinking that it would be so much cooler if, when heroes arrived, each hero had a little story about their joining, rather than the generic notice "Soandso has shown up at your gates and wishes to fight for your cause."

Is it possible to mod this?

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pissible to change the text of random events?

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
I was thinking that it would be so much cooler if, when heroes arrived, each hero had a little story about their joining, rather than the generic notice "Soandso has shown up at your gates and wishes to fight for your cause."

Is it possible to mod this?

=$= Big J Money =$=
Fairly surely no. I haven't noticed a command for changing the text of normal events, and I think there's just one description for heroes turning up.

I doubt events will become moddable, because it's very hard to change events' descriptions in text files. If the wrong event is changed, it's very hard to notice that the description doesn't match the event.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont think it is.
HOWEVER the developers are always willing to listen if you have some good ideas for some. They might not rush it into the game right now (I think they might be abit burned out) but they do listen and incorporate our ideas. The more varietyin events the better I like a game.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Well, I was thinking since the heroes all have unique names and unique backgrounds, it would also be cool if each hero also has a unique little story that takes place whenever they become enlisted into service. A good example of these would be in the Heroes of Might and Magic games. I'm willing to write up an example, although I don't really know the lore behind the Dominions Universe very well. I know that messages can only be a certain length, so I guess they would have to be relatively short.

Are there files I can open up to view the different descriptions of the heroes without actually having to play the game and hope I can see one?

=$=
Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im afraid not. They an be extracted. On a linux system its quite easy. But I dont how what it would take on Windows or Mac.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)