.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Tools and Tutorials

Due to multiple requests to stick various individual threads I think its best to create one catch-all to list some of the tools and tutorials. It will stay cleaner if people post a short description of the item, and then link to the thread which discusses that item.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tools and Tutorials

Map + Mod File Editor with Dom3 Syntax Scheme [Freeware ]

It's freeware, does not need to be installed - just unzip, start the .exe.

It runs under Win, yet it can write files in UNIX format as the DOM mod files are.

It's available in english.

.. and I have done a complete syntax highlighting scheme for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arralen For This Useful Post:
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

This script will automatically reconcile ID numbers (of various kinds) between any number of mod files. To run:

mod_mixer.awk [.dm file...]

It will then produce a bunch of .txt files. You basically just catanate all of them into a new file and then load it - the header at the very begining, and name lists may need to be modified somewhat by hand.

At the moment, you can't run more than four or five mods at once due to graphics limitations (at least, this is my theory). I believe it is possible to swap the mod file out, restart the game with the graphics you actually need first.... but this is asking for trouble.

Known bugs -
* spells with a damage increment >+1 (i.e. if you set a spell to do 20 damage + 3 per point of excess skill) are interpreted as references to new monsters.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 486721-mod_mixer.zip (1.2 KB, 1064 views)
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

this is a little windows app i threw together to that will compress tga images to rle, thought it might be of use to people out there. it will take 24 or 32 bit non-rle and rle images and output 24 bit rle images. i suppose if there is a demand for it i could expand the functionality, but right now this suits my purposes fine.

i remember seeing somewhere that old dom2 maps sometimes used the alpha channel, though it had no in game affect, and the alpha bits were causing problems in dom3. this app will fix that problem, as it just strips out the alpha channel if it is present.

to use it, drag a supported tga (or multiple supported images at once) onto the app. the files will be converted and saved in the same directory, with .rle.tga extension rather than .tga. other than that the names are identical, none of the old files are overwritten, deleted or modified.

hope this is useful

edit: you have to install a couple of dlls to use this, don't blame, blame m$. you can get them here
Attached Files
File Type: zip 487241-torle.zip (17.1 KB, 974 views)

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I uploaded a simple terrain calculator written in Yabasic which converts terrain values to a readable list here.
Map Forge - Map editor
The Following User Says Thank You to Ballbarian For This Useful Post:
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

another little quickie app. actually does all of the same things as the one i posted above, but it will also reduce the size of the image to half it's original size. no resampling, just a straight resize so that border pixels are not polluted. images will have the .half.tga extension rather than .tga.

edit: you have to install a couple of dlls to use this, don't blame, blame m$. you can get them here
Attached Files
File Type: zip 487330-half.zip (17.4 KB, 892 views)

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Update : online map editor now available at
edited by Gandalf Parker: no longer available

http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor (currently in beta)

The first version of my dominions perl library is done.

Currently there are function for map parsing/validation, functions to add random buildings and commanders to provinces, and of course a function to output the edited map code from the perl pseudo-object

The library come with a test script (test.pl) as well as an online map validator/randomizer also available on my website , so you don't even need to install anything if you just want to randomize (or check the syntax of) a map or two :

http://dominions.realites.org/

I have many plans for the future based on this library, such as semi-random provinces (randomly select random provinces/commanders from a pre-set library depending of the province terrain type(s) for exemple), and I can take suggestion, or even script requests.

And of course please report any bug that you could find with the application, thanks in advance.

See http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...&Number=487744 for discussions, bug reports, features requests and new versions
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Private

MarcinM is on a distinguished road

Dom3Tool is a server monitoring tool for the Windows platform (requires .NET).

Simply enter the server URL and port, and the tool will fetch who has taken their turn, who hasn't, how much time is remaining in the current turn, and other pertinent info.

You can also launch the game from the tool directly, although you do have to tell it where the executable is each time (this enables having multiple installations of dom3 at different patch levels, if so desired).

The tool is available for download here. If the server doesn't resolve, try again later as it's my own machine and just might crash
Old February 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Following is a link to a simple list of Unit ID's, their names and a links to a screenshot of the corresponding unit's information screen. The image captures were created & kindly shared by Maltrease, and Kristoffer O has said that he didn't mind me sharing this with the community.

(KO expressed his intention to make a downloadable file of all sprites in the game, but has been unable to do so due to time constraints.)

NOTE: Access is currently password protected to minimize indexing by bots & wider distribution of the images.

Link:
Dom3UnitReference v304
Login: ball
Password: pass1712

Thanks again to Gandalf for hosting!
Map Forge - Map editor
The Following User Says Thank You to Ballbarian For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Here there be a comprehensive DB of units, weapons and armor.

Save under different name for your mod, make the changes you want to the BaseU, BaseW and BaseA tables and see instant results on the AllUnits page. It'll drive most Windows systems on their knees when opening or doing complicated sorting due to the number and structure of the display functions.

Arrays have been defined so that adding weapons, units and armors to the Base pages won't make a difference, the functions still work. Upper limits are 400 armors total, 1000 weapons total and 4000 units total, those limits are hardcoded to the current functions.

If you add units to the display page, you need to unprotect the sheet and show formulas, then extend the formulas down the columns up until you have all your units showing. Add ONLY id numbers to display pages! Everything else is retrieved by function.

You may need to add more custom magic masks if you have really exotic random magic combinations, in which case you should sort the MagicMasks page by mask number for smoother work.

Just make sure you enter 0 for FALSE or 1 for TRUE or actually type out the word each time you use them. Dragging the values for several trues in a row will screw things up since it will do a sequence of 1..2..3..4.. and show everything above 0 as TRUE. The retrieval functions will not work correctly if that happens, since they all check for values of either 1 or "".

Edi
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post: