.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: Poland

Germany vs. Poland

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Poland, 9/1939 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Battalion - 1-2 Armor Co, 2-3 Infantry Co, 1-2 Cavalry Trps, 4-6 Artillery Btry, plus ATG and AAA. Average force experience, ~65.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Moderately wooded terrain with 50% of the map having trees and the other 50% composed of clear area, fields and tall grass. The wooded terrain is clustered, so there are solid areas of woods and areas of clear ground. There are a few small hills between the deployment zones, mostly to the north of an east-west road roughly centered in the map. That is an additional modest sized hill in my deployment area in the northwest corner of the map. There is one additional road, which runs mainly north-south before turning northeast about 1000m from the north edge. The road is just outside the enemy deployment zone for most of its length until the northeast turn. Visibility = 34.

Troops: 1 Armor Co. (5 PzKw IId, 17 PzKw IIIb/d(s)), 2 Infantry Co. (PzGren w/trucks), 4 Artillery Btry (On board, 16 tubes towed w/o transport), 2 ATG sections. (3 37mm TaK 30, 3 37mm PaK 35/36 w/trucks)), plus recon (including 1 spotter plane) and ammo supply. Average force experience, ~75.

Time: 35 Turns

Analysis

Since the new patch has been installed, I figured I would start my campaign over again. Rather than going with an SS force, I've gone with a panzer grenadier force. At the moment, my core isn't complete to what I want to make it a complete force. In the end, it will be a well rounded battalion sized task force. Main elements missing at this point are integrated artillery, AAA and ammo supply. The transports at the moment are trucks instead of half-tracks. I will make due until I get repair points to fill the gaps. This should take a bit longer since I'm running -20% on repair points for my setting. On with the analysis.

The Polish force is a capable foe in game terms. Disadvantages they suffered in the war are minimized here. Their experience is less, but in compensation they will get more units. Their armor is pretty much equal of the German armor, so standing toe to toe with them is only asking for trouble. The same can be said of their field guns and ATGs. Even their anti-tank rifles are a threat. One element I'm not worried about are cavalry. They do move quickly, but tend to be lightly armed and no match for armor and infantry. The key to defeating the Polish force is to fight them on my terms and not theirs.

Terrain elements look like they give me an edge. There are three hills between the deployment zones and I should be able to get to at least two of them first. From one of the ones I can get to first, I should be able to cover the third and keep the enemy from putting it to good use. The other hill I can get to is just north of the east-west road. I will be able to cover that road effectively and let the Polish force come to me. The northern edge of the map, which will end up being my left flank is relatively open. It should be easy to cover with a few guns. The southern or right flank will be a bit more complicated. There are more woods in this area and it will take more time to position for me to position in those. One other aspect that is helpful is most of the flag locations are north of the east-west road. There are only three south of this road I need to capture.

I see the keys to this battle as the three hills between the deployment zones. They are designated Hills 1, 2 and 3 from south to north.

Plan

The initial phase of the battle will be to capture Hills 1 and 2. One grenadiers company will be tasked with this. The company will be reinforced with one platoon from the other grenadiers company meaning for this battle, one will have four platoons and the other will have two platoons. Each company will be supported by one tank platoon. For clarity sake, each platoon additionally has one ATG section, one scout section and an FOO cross attached. The tank company also has an FOO. Finally, there is one more FOO at battalion level, so I have a total of four.

Two platoons of grenadiers each will move to and capture Hills 1 and 2. Once they have the hills, they will deploy to engage advancing enemy forces. The objective is to allow them to defeat the enemy forces by taking a temporary defensive posture on these hills. Once the enemy force is beaten, the two platoons on Hill 2 will advance on Hill 3 and open of the enemy flank while the other two platoons on Hill 1 will advance forward. These moves will be supported by the tank platoon supporting this company. The two remaining tank platoons and headquarters section will remain in reserve until Hill 3 is captured and the flank is open. At that time, they will move around the enemy flank and exploit the opening. Company ATGs will cover the open area on the left flank, repositioning as the force advances.

The understrength company will deploy in the woods, designated as the South Woods, south of the east-west road. Their objective will be to prevent any enemy push on the southern half of the map. They will advance forward if the opportunity presents itself and if it can be done without leaving the flank open to exploitation by the enemy.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assault Plan.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	7527  
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: Poland

Nice pic if the AI uses the road once it runs into fire from the hills it may try shifting South of road in my view to run up tree line so the South wood guys might well get some action. A temporary position in woods NE of might prove fruitful nearer to gap in road tree line. FOOs should have a good LOS to start with. I must agree that due to likely strength of infantry close quarters fighting in woods is a no no.
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Nice pic if the AI uses the road once it runs into fire from the hills it may try shifting South of road in my view to run up tree line so the South wood guys might well get some action. A temporary position in woods NE of might prove fruitful nearer to gap in road tree line. FOOs should have a good LOS to start with. I must agree that due to likely strength of infantry close quarters fighting in woods is a no no.
That spot will be difficult to get to because it's in the enemy deployment area. That road runs down column 68 so 100m east is where the enemy forces will set up. It's hard to see that information from the picture I put up. I suspect there will be some fighting in the woods, unfortunately. If my plan goes as expected, some enemy units will probably end up running into the woods and rally enough to be pinned there. Some of my units will likely blunder into them, but I'll precede any move in with artillery to keep any Polish infantry there running. It should be interesting.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Captain

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire by either side.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Captain

Turn 1

Units moving out to assigned objectives on Hills 1 and 2 and the South Woods.

No enemy sighted.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero

Last edited by RERomine; January 10th, 2009 at 10:41 PM..
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Captain

Turn 2

Continuing to advance on objective locations.

No enemy sighted.

Casualties

Old January 10th, 2009, 10:57 PM

Captain

Turn 3

Lead elements on western foot of Hills 1 and 2.

Lead elements moving into South Woods. Two ATGs have taken up position north of the woods and one to the south of the woods.

No enemy sighted. I should see something next turn.

Casualties

Old January 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Captain

Turn 4

Units taking up position on Hills 1 and 2. Three enemy armored cars heading towards gap between hills. They are about 750m east of the gap. Three enemy tankettes heading west down the east-west road. Lead unit is on southern edge of Hill 1.

Units taking up positions in South Woods. No enemy in this area.

Casualties

Old January 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Captain

Turn 5

Units still moving into position Hill 1 and 2. I'm moving them slowly so they don't get spotted by the advancing enemy units. Enemy armored cars heading towards gap now joined with one cavalry troop. Scouts assaulted one with no effect. Lead tankette engaged and destroyed by ATG north of South Woods. Several more showed up and there are a total of four where the first one was destroyed on the south edge of Hill 1.

South Woods force still moving forward. Two tankettes spotted by scouts about 700m east of woods.

Casualties

Enemy: One TK-3 destroyed.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM

Captain

Turn 6

Enemy cavalry seen advancing around north side of Hill 3 and down western slope. Strength at this time is two troops. Since the flank is only protected by three 37mm ATGs, I'm going to have to get them some help. Artillery has been plotted well in advance of the cavalry.

Units from Hills 1 and 2 engaged cavalry heading towards gap. Two units took casualties and are running. Armored cars have spread out and are advancing slowly. My support armor platoon is moving forward to ambush the enemy armored cars if they enter the gap. Tankettes on road have held position, but two infantry units seen 100m behind them on the road. My ATG destroyed one more. Artillery has been plotted near the cavalry position. Enemy artillery dropped smoke in front of the gap, while HE fell west of Hill 2. No damage.

There are now six tankettes and one tank heading towards the South Woods.

Casualties

Enemy: One TK-3 destroyed and estimated 5 casualties.