.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Private

Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Default Single player cheat codes or mods?

I'm enjoying Dom2 and glad I bought it on a friend's recommendation. As with most games that I intend only on playing single player however, I'd like to know if there are cheat codes or available mods to cheat.

Before anyone flies off the handle ranting at me with things like "D00d, this game is so easy, I beat it in uber-godly-macho mode with one finger and both eyes gouged out, you don't need to cheat!" I'd just like to point out that I'm asking because every once in a while it's nice to build an impossibly overwhelming god, army, etc. and stomp on things. Sure, the game is great without codes, but it'd also be fun using them occasionally too.

So, knowing full well many might be tempted to flame instead of answer, I'm still asking because I'm hoping folks will offer useful information to a perfectly legit request.

Thanks in advance for any cheats/codes info and hats off to Illwinter for a great strategy game.
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single player cheat codes or mods?

Using the mod tools it's quite easy to make "an impossibly overwhelming god". So use 'em.
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Private

Wildcat is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's what I've done (and why I posted):

-Read through the manual, no cheat codes listed
-Searched the forums, no cheat codes listed
-Searched the net and several fav cheat sites, nothing listed for Dominions 2
-Tried in-game tools and menu options, couldn't find anything that seemed relevant
-Read the mapedit.pdf and modding.pdf documents provided

Now, mind you, I admit the modding.pdf document provides sufficient information to painfully (for anyone seeking a relatively quick and direct method vs. having to spend time creating something) puzzle out how to set an initially changed starting condition.

However, I'm asking about cheat codes, mods already made, or some fairly easy to follow directions that allow someone to quickly and easily change things during a game.

Most games have some special key sequence, console, or unique cheat enabling approach via config or ini files to allow the use of cheats that add gold, increase skill points, or what have you. I'm hoping Dominions 2 has something like that built in as well.

If I really wanted to sit down and treat this like a modder and craft something myself, I would. I really don't want to do that though. What I'd really like is to just leisurely play Dom2 as I have been and add cheat codes or a pre-made mod that does the same thing, for all intents and purposes, to my time spent playing.

So, if anyone has cheat codes, a mod that enables the equivalent, or easy instructions on how to accomplish basic single player cheating results such as: adding gold, modifying pretender god attributes, modifying unit stats, etc. while playing that'd be great.

Btw, I'm familiar with hex editing and will go that route if necessary, but wanted to check on codes or existing mods first to save time and make things simple.

[ January 18, 2004, 07:12: Message edited by: Wildcat ]
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Wildcat,

There are no built in cheat codes to accomodate the casual cheater. At best there is a editing file for the map that will allow you to set certain variables.

The Mod tools were released less than a week ago, most of those who have modded so far, have been doing so to try out their own ideas, no 'cheaters mod' has been released at this time.

So unfortunately you will have to either A.) Wait or B.) Mod yourself a cheat mod so you can make whatever it is you'd like to play.

This is a index of Gandalf's site. He has a few files concerning how to edit starting map files, that should provide you with at least some of the answers. The other option is to look at the Mod Readme in the Patch.

http://www.techno-mage.com/~dominion/

[ January 18, 2004, 07:26: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:38 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Modding is extremely easy. It's a matter of making a text file with only a few lines. Here, let me get you started:

#modname "Cheat Mod"
#description "This mod makes the Great Sage really GREAT"
#selectmonster 251
#name "Super Sage"
#descr "This sage is super duper f33r his !337 sk!77z."
#ap 60
#mapmove 12
#hp 500
#prot 25
#str 20
#enc 1
#att 20
#def 20
#prec 20
#gcost 0
#eyes 3
#heal
#end

Just add or remove new command lines between the "#selectmonster" and the "#end" lines. Change the number after #selectmonster 251 to mod a different unit. Use Ctrl+I while looking at a unit to find other units to mod.

Save those "#..." lines to a file using Notepad and save it as some filename ending in ".dm", like "Cheat.dm". Then load the game and use the mod selection option. Then create a new god using the super dude.

Etc. Watch out for any other GREAT sages you meet during play...

PvK
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Corporal

Dekent is on a distinguished road

If its money problems your having you can slap some....crud what are they called...."Throne of the World" ? In your home province. I belive they give 100 gold/resources a turn and 5 astral gems.
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Playing Ermor, Ashen Empire, single-player, comes pretty darn close to a cheat -- AE Ermor can be countered, but it takes some steps the AI doesn't necessary do, like heavily push fire, astral, priests, communion (to pump up holy/fire/astral to insane levels) plus heavy use of defensive preaching etc.
It might be especially brutal if you use Alex Poger's rebalanced-scales mods, which increases their goodness/badness, since AE Ermor normally takes an awful dominion from Hades and that mod will make it an even deadlier weapon.
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Maps also provide a ton of possibilitys. It can give you wealth, resources, gods not offered as gods in the game and made with 5 times as many points.

What kindof cheat codes would you want that arent already covered?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)