.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Oblivion

Well guys I just got my copy of Oblivion, and I am totally amazed. The game requires a high end comp if you wanna play at 1024+ with full gfx options on, but if you have that kind of comp, you just wont stop yelling "wow!". This is definitely a next step towards next gen gfx for the games.
As for gameplay the game is awesome in that part also, I picked up like 10 quests in 1 city, all totally different, some of them with a small storyline. The game's complexity [schools of magic , alchemy, special abilities, sneaking etc. etc.] are perfect also, this is definitely the best RPG on the market now.

If you like RPG games, this is a must have, but keep in mind you must have a good system to really enjoy this title.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oblivion

Well, at least you have something to do until Dom 3 comes out.
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Major

Quote:
Daynarr said:
Well, at least you have something to do until Dom 3 comes out.
Indeed, btw I already preordered Doms3. :-) ... The waiting is a paaaaaain, I cant wait to play with you guys online.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

Why not play dom2 in the meantime?

Wasn't that other thread enough for Oblivion OT, there was some other dude that got it too... Huh, PrinzMegaherz! Where did that nice bouncy avatar go
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Is Oblivion more like Daggerfall or just a step up from Morrowind? Is there any real widlerness or areas that arent part of a quest? Im still debating whether or not to get Oblivion
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Is Oblivion more like Daggerfall or just a step up from Morrowind? Is there any real widlerness or areas that arent part of a quest? Im still debating whether or not to get Oblivion
I second that inquiry. I liked Morrowind, but it was just so... small. And many of the case-specific attempts to give Vvardenfel and its people personality just highlighted how dead and inert they were.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

iirc it is a very big gameworld and i will find out soon enough as it should be arriving tomorrow (i pre-odered it)
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jurri said:
Why not play dom2 in the meantime?

Wasn't that other thread enough for Oblivion OT, there was some other dude that got it too... Huh, PrinzMegaherz! Where did that nice bouncy avatar go
She's back due to popular demand.

As for Oblivion:

There a a number of things I don't like / that could have been improved in order to make it even better. Even though, I can't get myself to stop playing it, and it has been quite some time I since a last played one game that much.

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:

There is a quicktravel option like in daggerfall that let's you jump to specific locations you want to travel to. If you choose to go there yourself, you will stumble upon more than just one place of interest in between. There are countless caves, old castles and ancient remains to be found. All are very detailed and nicely designed (no instant dungeons as in Daggerfall). However, they lack their own story. I would have liked to find books or letters that would explain a bit of their past, but there is nothing. It's a bit like those places in Diablo 2 that you could enter to find a golden chest at the end, but nothing else. If you like dungeon crawling just of the sake of getting items and experience, this is for you. If you prefer story elements, you can skip those and get on with the main quest or the sidequests.
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Major

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Well in these 2 days I only was traveling in the Imperial province so far and its HUGE with like 10+ castles/cities, lot of dungeons etc. Yes of course you can walk to anywhere or go on horse, or just use fast travel on the map. There are many provinces, I am not exactly sure that how much.
Everything is perfect in the game, the gfx is like....almost like you are watching a movie. I am not kidding its so real...amazing. The quests, the character system/leveling/skills/guilds etc. etc...fantastic game.

Im gonna make some screenshots about my travels and my char soon, until then here are some from the net.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/a...c/obliv07B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/a...c/obliv03B.jpg

http://images.3dgamers.com/screenima...4_orcarmor.jpg

http://mirror.rateofinjury.com/porta...oblivion80.jpg

http://mirror.rateofinjury.com/porta...oblivion75.jpg

Here is an excellent screenie from the wilderness. Yes Gandalf YOU CAN walk in a wilderness like this. This is how the wilderness looks like. [The forest areas]

http://www.oblivionportal.com/media/...oblivion68.jpg

There are thousands of screenshots on the net, you should take a look at them. Everything is just perfect in this game, you really should consider to buy this, if you like RPGs, and if you want the experience the next gen gfx.

Old March 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

A lot of people complained about Morrowinds static world. They came up with a new AI system (the name escapes me). Each NPC will have a set of priorities, which will determine what he does in his day. Some see themselves as warriors, so spend a lot of time training. Some are people ..er people, so they travel around looking for their friends (thats what PC Gamer said). I don't know how they could tell, but I have noticed people striking up conversations that you can ease drop on.

To me, whatever they did, the game world seems immersive and alive.

Its a great game, and a great achievement imho for Role Playing games in general.

Heres what I don't like, and its going to be a very common problem from now on I fear. Its consolized. Theres many concessions they obviously made for the 360. It just seems overly simplistic for a RPG as complicated as this. Oh well. I can't wait for the mod community to start pumping out stuff.
Closed Thread