.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Agartha: Golem Crafters

I found that, in EA, you can expand quite rapidly with a nice bless, can't remember exactly, but something along the lines of f9/x6/x4. Not game winning, but it can bring you to the point where your summons take over the serious battles.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowarrior View Post
Personally, the thing that strikes me about the Agartha is there how similar they are to the atlantians. Never stop growing, live hundreds of years and very similar paths in magic. Oh and don't forgot the amphibianism part of it.
Are they an offshoot of atlantis that grew underground?
Well, this mystery can be expalined only with a new age.
Anyway i think that could be true
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road

What about 4 in either water/fire/air. Water gets me claymen and a bonus to defense, fire gets me ???? and bonus to attack, Air gets me gargoyles, airshield and the ability to build Staffs of Elementally master.
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Sergeant

Kadelake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
Agarthans truly are an enigmatic race. They spend their time in apparently cold caverns and rarely see the sun, yet they are cold blooded and prone to fatigue because of this. It doesn't help that one of their strengths, the fact they are amphibious, sees them running into the common cold 3 dominion of underwater races, all of which will school them in the water anyway.

Agarthans are one eyed with very poor precision and are clumsy in battle, with terrible attack and defense. They are however very strong. So with typical agarthan logic, they bring glaives to battle, which give malus to attack and defence and do high damage. So if they hit something (which they don't) it's double dead. But surely they'll hit /something/ you cry? Well it certainly 'helps' that they are size 3 or 4 and so suffer from being swarmed and being unable to swarm back. But surely their armour is excellent? In their ancient wisdom agarthans have elected to wear relatively high enc armour with unimpressive protection, knowing as they do that they are so effectively shielded by their tower shields that they need not worry about missile weapons. I jest of course, what agarthan would be seen with anything bigger than a buckler? It's sheer madness.

I don't think there's any question as to why they end up extinct. Along with draconians, they are the dodos of the dom3 world.
I think this is very thematic for the pale ones. They simply have no idea how to fight above ground. Long glaives might be good in an underground tunnel but not as great on an open field. Have you read the description of the Kin-Breaker, the prince who lead the disastrous attempt to conquer the surface world in EA? (MA hero, shift+u and add the unit onyx oracle)
"Kin-Breaker lead his armies as he had done underground, with strategies unfit for a sunlit world. Outshot, outflanked and outwitted, his royal army was annihilated."
Poor Kin-Breaker
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Well I agree that KO is well aware the Agarthans are a tragic race.

But you imply that a glaive is somehow better in a cave, or that Agarthans do better there. They don't. They suck outside of caves and they suck inside them (in the extremely rare case where there is a cave on the map and agartha gets to fight in it).
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road

Is hidden in the sand a good spell for the Agartha to shoot for, or is it best just to aim for the statues and be done with?
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
I found that, in EA, you can expand quite rapidly with a nice bless, can't remember exactly, but something along the lines of f9/x6/x4. Not game winning, but it can bring you to the point where your summons take over the serious battles.
Mmh, I tried a test game some time ago with a f9n6e6 bless and they... 5ucked maybe with an awake SC they can survive the initial stage better...
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road

That Sombre's description is hilarious. My first ever SP game (after messing a bit with the tutorial) while I was still playing the demo was with Agartha. I was struggling really bad to conquer the indies. And then I ran into my first AI opponent - Helheim. Needless to say, it was very frustrating.

In EA I would probably expand just with troglodytes and try to get to conj5 ASAP.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agarthans truly are an enigmatic race. They spend their time in apparently cold caverns and rarely see the sun, yet they are cold blooded and prone to fatigue because of this. It doesn't help that one of their strengths, the fact they are amphibious, sees them running into the common cold 3 dominion of underwater races, all of which will school them in the water anyway.

Agarthans are one eyed with very poor precision and are clumsy in battle, with terrible attack and defense. They are however very strong. So with typical agarthan logic, they bring glaives to battle, which give malus to attack and defence and do high damage. So if they hit something (which they don't) it's double dead. But surely they'll hit /something/ you cry? Well it certainly 'helps' that they are size 3 or 4 and so suffer from being swarmed and being unable to swarm back. But surely their armour is excellent? In their ancient wisdom agarthans have elected to wear relatively high enc armour with unimpressive protection, knowing as they do that they are so effectively shielded by their tower shields that they need not worry about missile weapons. I jest of course, what agarthan would be seen with anything bigger than a buckler? It's sheer madness.

I don't think there's any question as to why they end up extinct. Along with draconians, they are the dodos of the dom3 world.
You are a comic genius.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well I agree that KO is well aware the Agarthans are a tragic race.

But you imply that a glaive is somehow better in a cave, or that Agarthans do better there. They don't. They suck outside of caves and they suck inside them (in the extremely rare case where there is a cave on the map and agartha gets to fight in it).
If Caves worked as intended (automatic Darkness), glaives would be pretty good on them because Agarthans wouldn't have a problem with attack/defense. In fact, Agarthans with glaives would be absolute monsters under such conditions. One hit, one kill.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]