.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Coliseum

Old November 7th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road
Default Previewed - front page Gone Gold!

A preview of the game was posted yesterday on the front page of the popular gaming site, Gone Gold, and the forums are doing some buzzing about it! Pretty cool!
Old November 7th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Previewed - front page Gone Gold!

Congrats!
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM

Corporal

Rogue is on a distinguished road

Well I was going to be a fence sitter on this one, but I'm too curious not to pass it up. I was going to wait for a demo, but that $10.00 off if ordered prior to November 17th was too enticing. Darn you Derek !

I was a little disappointed that I had to hear about it from www.gonegold.com instead of receiving word from Shrapnel. Bah, not a big deal though as I'm at the Shrapnel site enough that I'd have seen it eventually. And Gone Gold had a good write up about it so hopefully more folks will be drawn in...which would be a very good thing indeed !

One question though Derek, and another poster touched on this, in the shop front advertisement it states that fighters can get into trouble outside the arena. I know you talked (extensively) about the cool things you can do between fights...but are there events where your gladiators can get themselves into trouble (as in real life professional athletes)? If it spoils something in the game to say what, just say "yes". If it's not something in the game it makes little difference to me, but you may want to tell someone to re-phrase that section.

And to second Psitticine, congrats on your new release!
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:54 PM

Corporal

Another quick question--will you be able to do "concurrent seasons". Meaning, can you keep playing indefinitely with a manager and his set of gladiators, or you hit a certain limit and have to start over? Sorry if that's been mentioned somewhere or discussed before, I'm still at work and I'm kinda getting fuzzy on all the things people say would be cool to have in this game as opposed to what's actually in it. Heh, thanks again!
Old November 12th, 2003, 02:05 AM

Sergeant

Hi Rogue, Thank you for your pre-order and kind words!

As far as being informed about the release, I'm not sure if Shrapnel has a mailing list they send out to previous customers. I don't think so.
E-mail me if you want updates on my stuff from now on, along with my blatherings (I still send things out occasionally to some previous loyal customers when I was a little indie to let them know i'm up to). My e-mail address on this forum works fine.

To answer your questions: Yes, warriors can get into "trouble" outside the arena, like personal difficulties (determined partially by their Intangibles rating, which basically determines things like "heart", grit and how "nice" they are as a person). Think: Mike Tyson or the current Kobe Bryant situation, if you've heard about that.

More severe offenses (this feature was just added and started testing today) can result in a warrior being suspended for awhile or you being fined an amount of gold, so it will make you consider whether your warrior is a jerk or not along with their actual skills in the equation.

And yes, the game will support unlimited consecutive seasons with the same roster (though there may be some turnover of warriors over time for various reasons). But there's no built-in hardcoded "limit" on seasons, like some of the EA games.
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Corporal

Heh, very cool indeed! I like the PR aspect of it as well!!!

I can't wait for a demo so I can see what to expect when the finished product releases. Well heck, since I can't wait I guess I can't wait until the finished product comes out!
Old November 26th, 2003, 12:47 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

yes indeed, the gonegold.com review is very well done. One thing I like about this game is that it fits nicely with people who have very little spare time. you can play a few rounds or a few dozen, save the game and come right back to it to continue the fun when you have a few more spare minutes. Yup, very nice feature.

Do you know what would be fantastic? If you could build up a player then export him into a host season to see how he would fare with other player's gladiators. Maybe for Coliseum 2 Eh?

Have a great day. Cheers!

P.S. A good game has great potential, a great game exploits its potential. I have no doubt that many people will flood you with great ideas for C2, it's that good.
Old November 28th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by David E. Gervais:
P.S. A good game has great potential, a great game exploits its potential. I have no doubt that many people will flood you with great ideas for C2, it's that good.
I've already gotten tons of ideas for the update patch that will most likely be released later on. Different types of matches (Death Matches, Lion Matches, etc) and other types of things. My job isn't quite finished yet!

In fact (and here's a secret I haven't said up until now): The full Version of the game has been tweaked quite a bit balance wise at the start of the game. Warriors starting ability scores will be within a smaller range overall for more competitive fights, closer overall league scores, etc. Lots of other little tweaks too (and of course all the little bugs found so far fixed).
Old November 28th, 2003, 08:35 PM

Corporal

Well I tried the demo and I think I'll be very happy I ordered the full Version!

I have only one complaint, and it's not with the programing or even the game itself. It's with me "second guessing" myself. Half the time I go to bet on another match I change it to bet on the other guy and I end up loosing the bet.

Sheesh!

Old November 28th, 2003, 11:52 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

To avoid the spamming effect we send out emails like that once a month in our monthly news letter. You would be surprised at how many complaints we get when we send out updates to our customers more frequently than that.