This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Ibology > Approaching Infinity

Old October 6th, 2015, 10:13 PM

First Lieutenant

ibol is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrade 1.3 Requests

It's getting to be time to start thinking about what you want to see in the next patch of Approaching Infinity.

This can be new features, revisions of existing features, rolling back old features, etc.

What do you REALLY want to see happen in AI ?
The Following User Says Thank You to ibol For This Useful Post:
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Corporal

Dubious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upgrade 1.3 Requests

I would like to see the ability to craft "Away Team Enablers" onto our crafted suits, at suitably high enough craft levels. The occasional augmented suit ability like "Sonic Shovel" is unique enough that we have to keep the crappy suit just for the ability. But when it comes to a suit that has an Enabler capability like "HazMat" built-in, it's not worth keeping a much inferior suit version around instead of using the enabler. Knowing it's "possible" then becomes annoying.

I can't tell if using "Non-Lethal Weapons" increases the chance of leaving a lootable shipwreck, but it should.

Likewise, "Fake ID" should work in other situations than docking with a station. (Currently, ship combat seems to always affect Race Relations even with "FakeID" installed.)

And I am assuming you are already looking over the "Feature Request" and "Bugs" threads, so I won't repeat any of them.

-Dubious-
The Following User Says Thank You to Dubious For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2015, 12:36 AM

Corporal

Please make the Installation (F7) screen scrollable.

-Dubious-
Old October 8th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Private

dari is on a distinguished road

i second the motion to look to the "bugs" and "feature request" section
and another small ideas:

1. in effects screen sort the effects name, "tooltip everything" should show sources of effects
2. at planets: add rest until healed order or something like rest for 15 turns
3. experienced officers for hire at higher sector levels
4. replacing that weird sidearm-adjacency system with a "fire-pattern" (ie. affected tiles) system - a minigun is imo. more worse than a shotgun.

and a not so small idea:
CSV format for modable text data (at least the big files like devices and skills) - right now its a really pain to work with
and maybe merging device file with the devicedescription file
but i guess that is out of scope for AI1
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:39 PM

Corporal

I would like to see a little more intelligence to the "Shuttle Ace/Vertical Landing Module" abilities than the current semi-random locations that seem to always end up back in areas of previous landings. Subsequent landings should be near unexplored areas and, once 100% of the surface has been explored, near caves. (I explore caves after the surface, which seems logical to me.)

-Dubious-
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:52 AM

Private

pzgndr is on a distinguished road

A modest request for Starship Outfitters to have more than 4-5 items available for purchase, and some better stuff? The risk of moving up to a higher sector should be better rewarded with being able to find some good stuff to enhance survival. Some games it's slim pickings...
Old October 13th, 2015, 09:03 AM

First Lieutenant

I appreciate you all taking the time to make suggestions here.

I am aware of the "feature requests" and "bug reports", but I am still looking for specific suggestions. Certainly I can't add every feature requested there, and some bugs are so "one off" that it's near impossible to track down.

So if you have pet projects or pet peeves, let them be known here

thanks,
Bob
Old October 16th, 2015, 07:08 PM

Private

Nortius_Maximus is on a distinguished road

My ships tend to have much better shields than armor. Twice now, I was cruising and destroying most ships without issues, only to carelessly run into an opponent that took several turns to work his way through my shields before in one volley punching through the last of my shields and all of my armor...

So, maybe an audible alert when 50% of the total of Shields + Armor is penetrated as opposed to the current system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nortius_Maximus For This Useful Post:
Old October 17th, 2015, 10:50 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortius_Maximus View Post
So, maybe an audible alert when 50% of the total of Shields + Armor is penetrated as opposed to the current system.
I like this idea. But if feasible, rather than "defense percentage remaining" express it in terms of "turns of max damage remaining" where "max damage" is based upon the maximum total damage in a turn/round received so far. Because there is a random factor to each strike, but "Fire All" produces the strongest blow initially, while the "cooldown" varies on the various weapon slots and it can be a while before "all" will be firing in a full volley again. Then the random factor might make the second combined volley even more powerful than the first.

Logically it would be trivial for the computer on a warship to track the damage, interval, and energy signature (weapon id) of each strike on the shields, and update the "turn" max damage figure to a more precise value the longer the fight lasts. After the second full volley it would know how many weapons in the broadside total, and the cooldown intervals of each.

"50% of total defense" against two weapons might be survivable, but not against the third (longer cooldown) weapon by itself, and vice versa. "10% of total defense" might be enough against a more rapidly cycling weapon for enough rounds before the next weapon cycles online, but not expected to be survivable against that more damaging one if it comes online first.

This opens the possibility of adding "computing power" as an upgradable ship statistic or device affecting the accuracy of such damage reports. On second thought, this could be linked to/reflected in the "targeting" value in "Sensors".

If not feasible, but you do go with the idea of a "defense remaining" audible alert, please make the threshold configurable in the INI file. People have varying levels of tolerance to risk, and as you get progressively better defense, the threshold percentages may drop.

-Dubious-

Last edited by Dubious; October 17th, 2015 at 11:10 AM..
Old October 18th, 2015, 04:40 PM

First Lieutenant

... I am compiling a list ...