Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM

Corporal

SCAJolly is on a distinguished road
Default Noise could give you away?

When there are tens and twenty of tanks rolling through a desert, the enemy sees the dust clouds. However, a Bell 47 at high altitude will remain invisible until it moves to be spotted. These aircraft give off noise, and should be heard several kilometers away.
Could be unimportant, could be horribly important.
I imagine something like a "E0 hears helicopter in North Center/North East/East Center/South East/South Center/South West/West Center/North West"
Old July 1st, 2005, 10:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Noise could give you away?

The thing about battle zones is they are rarely quiet. Lot's of things going on generally. Things that go BANG for one a few of those tends to degrade your hearing somewhat.

Wind direction plays a big part in how well you hear things like Helos as well. I live near a dragstrip. When the wind is favourable to me I barely hear it. When the wind blows my way or it's still air it almost sounds like it's in my backyard.

So no, you generally wouldn't here that from kilomters away unless conditions were just right

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM

Corporal

KevinRanger95 is on a distinguished road

how would you know which direction a helo would come from if you are in a wooded area or a canyon, noise reflection is a problem, and it will probably call for reworking of the game code!

Richard Winters 506th Easy Company
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:00 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

In real life, noisy units could be used to your advantage. A Trojan is a very noisy airplane. The Fireforce would send a Trojan to loiter over an area. The noise would cover the approach of the Alouettes.

troopie
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

What about noise artillery finders? Saw that done in some games, guess the finding was more scripted than anything else, but since here we're tlking about a GOOD game I guess there could be an advantage in having artillery locators (sound, fash, radar...) or radio locators? radio jamming? prox fuze jamming???

Oh, and battlefield is a noisy place indeed, but what about scouts and other infiltrated units?
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:
What about noise artillery finders? Saw that done in some games, guess the finding was more scripted than anything else, but since here we're tlking about a GOOD game I guess there could be an advantage in having artillery locators (sound, fash, radar...) or radio locators? radio jamming? prox fuze jamming???
<snip>
That's why on map arty eventually shows up to the other side if it fires from one place too much. It's not just the smoke signature that's taken into account. It's all factored in. It's not necessary to micro detail things like this for them to be accurately represented in the game

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

Captain

Hello Don!

Don't take these 'mad doctor's upgrades' ramblings of mine too seriously, I know the result wouldn't be worth the workload.

I didn't know though that arty showing up in smoke puffs had all this factored in though. Now I think about it, probably at such distances the smoke alone wouldn't be visible except for a 'Almighty Eye' player. but HOW exactly are other factors built in? Weapon size, warhead size, unit size, ROF ???
You don't have to answer, I was just curious

What I meant mostly was that having units related to these functions could add something to the gameplay. Like, if you lose your precious counterbattery radar or flash detector, you will have to search for the enemy support the old way... I guess that not many battalion commanders get their own counterbattery radars, so that could very well stay offmap and virtual.

Regards,

Plasma
Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:
Hello Don!

Don't take these 'mad doctor's upgrades' ramblings of mine too seriously, I know the result wouldn't be worth the workload.

I didn't know though that arty showing up in smoke puffs had all this factored in though. Now I think about it, probably at such distances the smoke alone wouldn't be visible except for a 'Almighty Eye' player. but HOW exactly are other factors built in? Weapon size, warhead size, unit size, ROF ???

Plasma
It's how long and how much you fire from a specific area. The "smoke" generated from firing is just a general representation of all the factors that would combine to make a unit like that known to the enemy

Don

Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:54 AM

Corporal

SCAJolly is on a distinguished road

I still long for the implementation of radar vehicles in SAM batteries. a Kub/Kvadrat-battery of six or four vehicles relies on a radar vehicle (AT-T with Straight Flush). IIRC, without this radar the Kubs are as good as blind. This would make an enormous difference for missions with SEAD/ARM; To this date, all four vehicles in a battery will have to be attacked separately, and each has a good chance of avoiding the rocket if they turn off the radar. Lots of ARMs wasted.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Captain

I know I shouldn't give away on him like that, but I was told by Laurent Touchard that he had an idea about implementing targetting radars in his Vietnam mod.
Don't start running around wildly, I will first ask his confirmation and the state of things by now.

Also, don't forget that some SAMs have both on-board and battery radar.